The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2012, 11:49 PM   #26
Rangefinder

Recipes, as requested

Cast is the Lee TL312-1602R, and mine drops a little heavy, finishing at 173gr. with straight WW after GC and lube. Lube is either LLA or 45-45-10.

Target loads use Red Dot. The common ground for it is 13gr. I started there and ran the ladder a ways--groups started opening up. SO, I went the other way and slowed it down. It settled in really tight at 10gr. Red Dot. You don't need speed to kill paper

Hunting on the other hand, needs a little more "oomph". Slower powder worked really nice to settle things down in the flyer dept. while keeping velocities higher. 25gr. IMR4895 fit the bill.

For Jacketed I have 147gr pulled steel cores (bought 1000 of them for a steal--pun intended). I weigh and group them in .4gr increments. The bulk of them rest right at about 146.8 to 147.6, so all pretty close. All same-weight over the top of 46gr. H380 put a frighteningly tight group on record at 200yds last fall---3/4" 3-shot group.

For the record, mine carries a 4x Swift LER scope.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:13 AM   #27
FatWhiteMan

After you obtain your Mosin, visit http://7.62x54r.net/ and determine the history and probably bore diameter of your Mosin or, if you prefer, slug the bore. That will tell you what diameter of bullets to use.

My Finnish M27 prefers .308. About the only commercial loads I know using .308 in 7,62x54 is Norma, or at least they used to, and were quite expensive. However, garden variety .308 150gr are relatively inexpensive to load.

If you need .311 bullets, then you can get PRVI Parizan factory loaded for $15-16 at gun shows and most online places like MidwayUSA and Grafs. Grafs also sells PRVI bullets which are a nice inexpensive jacketed option. I us them for .303 Brit and 7,65 Belgium Mauser.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:37 AM   #28
res45

Quote:
You will not see the accuracy potential from these guns unless you reload. Very impressive, group Rangefinder, will you share your recipees? Both Cast and jacketed?
Thanks CZVZ
Nice shooting Rangefinder,I shoot the same cast bullet as you in my M44 but I use the Universal Load of 16.0 grs. Alliant 2400 mostly the Red Dot loads works just as well. I'm currently in the process of working up so jacketed bullet loads but haven't done any testing yet. My M44 bore is .312 groove to groove.

5 shots 50 yds.

Yugo surplus 54r 182 gr. at 100 yds. circle is 1.5"