The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
sharpie443

.22Lr at 50 and 100 yards.

I own quite a few firearms of various calibers but the .22Lr is my favorite. I own seven of them at the moment and that will probably grow over the next year. My favorite things to do with my more accurate rifles is to shoot 7.62x54R casings at 30 yards, shoot the caps off coke bottles at 50 yards, and shoot cans at 100. I prefer peep sights because they are very accurate and it's a little more challenging then just using a scope at range. That makes it more fun for me. I have hit coke cans at 150 yards with a peep sight but that is the farthest out I have been able to go so far.

Video of me shooting my Ranger .22 target rifle at 50 and 100 yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgzNCjoOh0o
Old May 4, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Boomer58cal

I shoot empty 22 cases off hand @25yrds with my 9 in. barreled Ruger single six. I've been doing it since I was a kid as it was my first gun. Personally when I want a challenge I get a smaller target.

Got to love them 22's. Be safe.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Plumbnut

Here is the first time I shot a ruger 10/22 I put together. Groups even tighter now that its broke in a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBF-fdIEpE0
Old May 5, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
mananer

I too really enjoy a good .22. I shoot mine regularly. I have a Winchester9422, Cooey 60, m69 Winchester,Cooey 75 and a SS Super Single Six convertable. I use cci Velocitors in all of them with the rifles zeroed at 50 yds, with original sights. I like shooting 12 gauge casings at 50 and use clay skeet at 100.I've found that sighted at 50 I can move the rear sight adjustment up one notch on all of them and am pretty much on at 100(for hitting skeet anyways). They're a source of great enjoyment for me.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
g.willikers

Yeah, clay birds at 100 yds with a .22 is great fun.
After breaking the birds, then the challenge begins to chew up the pieces.
They have to get mighty small to become impossible to hit anymore.
Even common, cheap .22s are so accurate, they spoil ya'.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:07 AM   #6
hawkeye10

I have several 22 rifles and hand guns. I like shooting off the bench with my rifles. Here is a picture of my Remington 40X. Don

Old May 7, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Picher

Excellent .22 LR accuracy depends on not only the rifle, but the ammo it loves to shoot. Unfortunately, most tightly-chambered target rifles don't shoot high speed ammo as well as some other rifles with standard chambers. Hard to believe, but I found it true after rebarreling my 10-22 to a heavy Shilen barrel.

Optimum accuracy increased dramatically when using quality match ammo, but the rifle didn't like Winchester Power Points as well as before the switch. After bedding, firing pin staking, headspace reduction, trigger improvements, the rifle averaged 37/100ths of an inch for 10 consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards. That's about as good as it gets for semi-autos.

That said, Quality bolt-action benchrest rifles are capable of one-hole groups (1/8") with tuners and $18 a-box ammo and 30+ power scopes, but that's a specialized situation and not realistic for all-around .22 rifles.

What is accurate for me? It depends on the use. From a bench a sporter rifle and high vel. ammo it loves, should shoot within 3/4" at 50 yards. Being able to shoot 2" groups offhand at 50 yards with a rifle/scope/ammo combination makes me very happy (but I can't do that every day). That combination would allow me to plink to my heart's content; to hunt with confidence within the 100 yards limit I set for myself with that cartridge (using a field rest, or sitting position beyond 50 yards).

I have a few rifles that exceed that tolerance, but very few.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Bart B.

Picher says quality bolt-action benchrest rifles are capable of one-hole groups (1/8") with tuners and $18 a-box ammo and 30+ power scopes.

I agree. It might take tests with several lots of Eley ammo to find one that'll do that. But the groups are not all that size. A third or more groups are larger. So, yes they are capable of 1/8 inch. But not that size all the time.

I mention this so some folks won't get the impression that those 1/8 inch groups happen all the time.

Tests with the US Olympic Team's .22 rimfire rifles held in machine rests show the best of them with a matched lot of ammo will shoot under 1/4 inch at 50 meters. I don't think any rimfire benchrest rifle's any better.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Dan Newberry

If you're wanting to shoot 100 yards with the .22 LR, you'll get better performance from sub-sonic ammo.

If you try to use super-sonic (faster than about 1100 fps muzzle velocity), lots of it will go sub-sonic before 100 yards, messing up accuracy.

Just sayin'...

Dan
Old May 8, 2013, 08:14 PM   #10
darkgael

Some years ago, I was shooting a small bore prone match at the Wilkes-Barre Rifle and Pistol Club in PA.
The young fellow next to me was from the US Naval Academy. On one of his targets on the 100 yard stage, he shot a one hole ten shot group, slightly high...only eight Xs. The group was a half inch across. Metallic sights.
Pete
Old May 8, 2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Doc TH

The 40X has me salivating!
Old May 9, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Bart B.

darkgael, before the mid 1980's, the best rimfire match ammo easily shot that well at 100 yards. Most of the smallbore prone records set before then still stand. But that's just one 10-shot group.

After the disaster at Eley's plant in England at that time, priming mixtures got changed and no ammo made since then's shot better than 3/4 inch at 100 yards. But, as usual, once in a great while 10 rounds of current ammo will shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Accuracy's best defined as the size of the group were all shots fired go; not just the smallest ones with a few holes.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
MrBorland

I've been working on my rifle skills more lately, mostly 50 yards in smallbore positions. My rifle is an aperture-equipped CZ452 UltraLux with a 28" barrel (looks similar to the 40x in the above pic). From prone, and with CCI SV ammo, I'm generally getting 49-50, 2-3x (see pic). Seated...well, that's gonna take more work. And standing, even more so.

Last week, I broke out my scope CZ452 Varmint for some 100 yards shooting. I'm still trying to figure out my setup. A tight sling really brings that rifle back, so eye relief is an issue, and I'll likely put a monopod on it, then.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm itching for a better rifle, but haven't decided which. An Anschutz 64 MPR, or a Compass Lake .22LR target upper are what I keep coming back to, but a custom tube gun (Eliseo, XLR) keeps calling me as well.

Old May 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #14
pathdoc

Does "CZ 452 Lux F/R aperture" stand (as I suspect it does) for "front and rear aperture" ?

If so, where do I buy them and what do I need to do to get them fitted? This is my CZ452 holy grail!!!
Old May 9, 2013, 05:48 PM   #15
MrBorland

Quote:
Does "CZ 452 Lux F/R aperture" stand (as I suspect it does) for "front and rear aperture" ?
Yep. Here are some pics (not my rifles). I replaced the rear aperture disc with a Gehman adjustable aperture, but that requires a large-to-small thread adapter. The whole deal installs in minutes. "Denny" over on rimfirecentral sells them ([email protected]). About $110.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/php...hp?f=6&t=10110