The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2002, 02:32 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Another one of my crazy ideas and one sane question

Does anyone know of a company that manufactures new Large Ring Mauser 98 actions? A little while ago I found a custom rifle builder that had them listed on his websight for around $450. Naturally I forgot to book mark the page. I have found some others but their actions were in the thousands of dollar range.

Okay now for my crazy idea. She who must be obeyed (The Mrs) calls them my "keep me from playing in the street projects". I want to build/machine my own Mauser 98 action. The original plan was to make my own drawings from measurements taken off of a couple actions I have. Making my own set of drawings off of measurements made with calipers and micrometers seems like a ton of work with plenty of room for screw ups. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone one was wondering...yes I am a rifle building addict. The confirmed rifle building addict is constantly looking for the next bigger high, by doing more and more from scratch.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old January 26, 2002, 10:40 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Joe,

The last ones I knew of were being made in Yugoslavia and Spain. I don't know if they are still being made. If you want a good 98 Mauser action, it might be easier and cheaper to pick up one of the VZ-24 rifles still selling cheap and use the action. A couple of makers are turning out copies of the Remington 700 action, but I don't think they sell actions and they sure wouldn't be cheap if they did.

You are right that actually making an action would not be too easy. The intricate machining would be a bit tricky (the 98 action, like many works of genius, just looks simple!). The bolt alone would be a nightmare.

Legally, you would have to do it all yourself or farm out the work to a licensed manufacturer.

Jim
Old January 26, 2002, 10:49 PM   #3
Joe Portale

Hi Jim,

I agree that the VZ is the way to go. In fact all the rifles that I have "made" have been on the BRNO actions. When Big 5 Sports had a sale on them last year, I bought ten. Rebuilt 4, restored three (two as gifts one as a keeper), one in progress for a 22/250 for Sniper Girrrl (AKA The Mrs.) and two waiting.

I just like challenges and may still take a wack at machining my own. By the way, I probably wouldn't mess around with trying to turn and bore the bolt. I would just buy one and adapt it.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old January 31, 2002, 10:40 AM   #4
Clemson

Joe, there are some books on the market concerning making single shot, falling block actions. You might consider one of those for the first one.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old February 1, 2002, 07:21 AM   #5
dfaugh

I've been toying w/ similar idea(s)....Currently don't have the machine tools available, but that would be compelling reason to buy...Think there's even room for improvement on these and other actions (no cost compromises if you do it yourself)...also think there could be room for using aluminum in various places, to lighten gun(obviosly not main action)...Lemme know how it progresses....

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."