The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 8, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1
CS86

recommended Lower for an AR

I've been wanting to start an AR build by starting with the lower reveiver. I don't currently own a high power semi auto gun and feel like with presidential stuff that it might be a good time to at least get the lower reveiver. This is the only part that has to be registered correct?

I met some guys at the range one day that let me shoot one of their AR's that they had custom built. One dissapointing feature I thought they had was the trigger. It was a long pull and felt cheap, but the rest of the gun seemed great. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a nice lower assembled receiver that has a nice crisp pull or something that might be adjustable. I hate to get into anything to terribly expensive.

Thanks
Old November 8, 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Achilles11B

Find a good stripped lower, PSA and CMMG are the brands I use and others will suggest some good ones as well. Pick up a LPK from the manufacturer of your choice and get to work.

As for the trigger, there are a lot of good aftermarket ones available. I have an 18" SPR-esque build that has the Giessele SDM trigger and I love it. It's a bit pricey, but definitely worth it.
Old November 8, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
WillyKern69

Scorpion out of Leander Texas
Old November 8, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
CS86

I imagine I can figure out how to put a trigger parts kit into a lower unit, but has anyone ran into much for complications doing so? Seems like a lot of parts and I wasn't sure if you are saving much doing it.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:17 PM   #5
BillyJack3

You have a lot more options if you go with a stripper lower and then get a lower parts kit. It's not as hard as it looks. I don't do any gun work but decided after I bought my first AR, I would build my 2nd to a point. Started with a Spike's Tactical stripper lower and a PSA (Palmetto State Armory) Lower BUILD kit. Spike's kits are back ordered. My first assembly went without a hitch and now it's my favorite AR.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Metal god

Quote:
I don't do any gun work but decided after I bought my first AR, I would build my 2nd to a point. Started with a Spike's Tactical stripper lower and a PSA (Palmetto State Armory) Lower BUILD kit. Spike's kits are back ordered. My first assembly went without a hitch and now it's my favorite AR.
That is what I did and I love it . As for putting a lower together , I would say the hardest thing for me was the pin for the bolt catch . Only cus of the angle it goes in at . you need to tape up the reciever as not to ding or mar it . I also needed someone to hold the reciever while I held the pin with needle nose and hamered it in . At the time I did not have a vise block .

I will add this , Your first build may not save much money do to the fact you will need some tools . Brass punchs , butt stock wrench , vise block or third hand .

PSA , Del-Ton , Spikes All good lowers

This is a nice LPK with a RRA match trigger http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock...letenm-kit.htm

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 8, 2012, 07:05 PM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS86
I imagine I can figure out how to put a trigger parts kit into a lower unit, but has anyone ran into much for complications doing so? Seems like a lot of parts and I wasn't sure if you are saving much doing it.
That's a reasonable question and anxiety.

I am the sort of dumby who can't, as they say, find his rear with a compass and a map. Yet, I have put together lowers. Just get your parts, and find a youtube video.

You know how people tell you something is easy, but it is only easy for people who are good at it? This isn't one of those times.

What you get out of it:

1. You aren't paying for a pistol grip or trigger or stock you didn't want but came with the lower but that you will remove and stick in your parts box, and

2. you get to say "I did build that."
Old November 9, 2012, 10:30 AM   #8
CS86

PSA mentions that its marked "Cal Multi" for accommodating most builds. Is this just an advertising strategy or do most of the listed lowers in this thread have this feature?

I've noticed also that some of the trigger's call out for specific pin sizes but I don't see the sizes listed on the stripped lowers. I'm guessing I would have to call for that info on some of them.

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what is an FFL. I've never ordered a firearm online. I do know that you have to have it shipped to a local licensed gun dealer. And is it correct that the only part of an AR that needs to be registered is the stripped lower?

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:37 AM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
I've noticed also that some of the trigger's call out for specific pin sizes but I don't see the sizes listed on the stripped lowers. I'm guessing I would have to call for that info on some of them.

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what is an FFL. I've never ordered a firearm online. I do know that you have to have it shipped to a local licensed gun dealer. And is it correct that the only part of an AR that needs to be registered is the stripped lower?
It would be dumber to not ask.

An FFL is a Federeal Firearms License [holder], what you are referring to as a licensed gun dealer. We are required to use them for most transfers across state lines. Since the lower carries the serial number, it is the firearm; everything else is just something you hang on it and can be ordered from and delivered directly by the vendor.

My sense about the pin question is that so long as one stays away from Armalite, all the small pin receivers use the same pins. Someone with a deeper sense of history on this can explain why a government contractor might switch to a non-standard pin only for civilian sales.

Last edited by zukiphile; November 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
frankgh

there is a group buy fixing to start here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505094
Old November 9, 2012, 02:25 PM   #11
CS86

Thanks

Looking at some of the sites it appears that it makes a difference if you are going to use the lower for a .223/5.56 or .308. I was wondering if I wanted to eventually create an AR .243 could I use the same lower as the .223/5.56?
Old November 11, 2012, 02:13 AM   #12
SVO

to build a AR in .243, you would need to use a .308 lower. The .243 round is too long to feed from a .223 magazine. And a .308 magazine is too big to fit a .223 lower. The exception to all this is the Colt SP-901/LE-901 guns.

Brownells has an excellent on-line step by step guide to building both a upper and a lower. Assembling a AR trigger is not that difficult.

Some Colts use the large trigger pins, It was part of Colt's attempts to prevent one from illegally converting one of their semi-autos to full auto by using small pin select fire M-16 parts.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:55 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Quote:
One dissapointing feature I thought they had was the trigger. It was a long pull and felt cheap, but the rest of the gun seemed great. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a nice lower assembled receiver that has a nice crisp pull or something that might be adjustable. I hate to get into anything to terribly expensive.
Start with a good stripped lower, PSA, AP or any forged 7075 unit. Buy a ArmaLite tactical Two stage LPK for $120. This LPK has a two stage trigger that is adjustable with simple spring position change. ArmaLites knowledge base has a page on tuning this 'tactical' trigger to NM specs. Without touching the sear surfaces you can have a zero creep two stage with a 1.5lb range of trigger break, generally 3 to 4.5lbs on the second stage.