The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
KBP

Military funerals

I am in our local Honor Guard and we use our M1 Grands for our Military Funerals. If all the gun grabs go thru will the M1 be banned? Its such an awsome rifle. As part of the Military funeral we fire three volleys over the Veterans casket, What will we then have to do? Point with our fingers and holler BANG? What an insult to our Veterans! What an affront to our Second Ammendment!
Old February 11, 2013, 06:50 AM   #2
2ndsojourn

I didn't know y'all used live ammo. I thought they were blanks.
What goes up....

But to answer your question, the M1 is distributed to the public through the CMP via the fed. I just can't see the M1 being on any banned list anywhere.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Dwight55

We do the same thing in my unit, . . . M1's, 3 volleys, . . . Taps, . . .

I went to another county some time back, . . . there were only 5 people there, . . . Leader, . . . Bugler, . . . 3 riflemen. They all used Remington 870's for the volly, . . . and shot from the waist.

I guess, at least in some cases, it is more the sentiment and the effort than the exactness of what is done.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 11, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
jmr40

We buried dad Saturday. They used Garands. 3 empty cases were wrapped inside the flag, Taps, then Amazing Grace on bagpipes. Beautiful ceremony.

Nothing I've seen would ban Garands on a national level. Even if they do I'd think some 1903 Springfield bolt actions could become the official rifle used for such ceremonies. I'm more concerned about finding people willing to do this than guns for the ceremony. It is getting harder and harder. Most of the guys who were in the Honor Guard at my dad's funeral looked to be in their 80's. My thanks to the guys willing to give their time to perform at these ceremonies. It means a lot to the families.

Photo taken in Germany 1945, shortly after the war ended. I'll miss dad, but he struggled for the last year, and suffered for the last month. He is in a better place now.

Old February 11, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Kimio

My family has a history of serving in the Military, and I would first like to thank you and your dad for the sacrifice' he made to protect this country and it's people's freedom (Though sadly I feel many don't appreciate what they died for nowadays).

Your father was apart of the last great generation of American' we could certainly use another generation like his.

Also my condolences to you and your family for this loss, I'm sure he's in a better place now, if anyone deserves to be at peace I say it's him.

On topic, I don't think we'd have to worry about them banning the M1 Garand, it's a historical weapon and like others have said, even if they did, it is likely they'd use something like the Springfield in its place.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
TheNocturnus

I lost my Dad in June 2012 and he had the 3 gun salute as well. I hope this tradition is not hindered. I put the empty brass in my ammo can and will keep it forever.

To all that have lost their Dad, I offer my condolences. I know how hard it is.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 11, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

If gun owners would take the trouble to read the bills they're so upset about, they'd find that the Garand would be exempted.

If gun owners would take the trouble to contact their elected representatives, these bills would stand little chance of passage.

Of course, if gun owners could be troubled to vote in the first place, this would be a moot point altogether.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
markj

JMR. God Bless your Dad. and all that have served. Your Dad was a medic? I bet he sure saved a bunch of lives out there. My Grandpa was in ww2 and 3 of my Grandmas brothers.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:19 PM   #9
KBP

Military Funerals

God bless or Veterans past and present! Yes, we use blanks! I read somewhere, maybe for "the peoples republic" of New York that rifles with a bayonette lug will be considered assault rifles. If all we have to do, is tell the gun grabbers we only use blanks in our military "type" rifles to make them legal, that would be great!(I think not) Yes we fire, play taps, fold the Flag and present it to the Veterans family. Over 50 times a year in our small community! We are lucky, we have 19 dedicated members and most of us are not too old to give our Veterians the last measure of Respect and Honor they EARNED! DuBois Honor Guard, DuBois, PA 15801
Old February 11, 2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Jeremiah/Az

They used M1's at my boy's funeral & gave the folded flag to his daughter.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
oldgunsmith

Those can be fun keeping them working with the blank adapters. When our local Honor Guard's rifles started giving them fits a gunsmith in the area wanted $60.00 each to clean, inspect, and advise. One of my students and I did the work for the guys who will be Honored by the Salute. We had more people offering to buy parts than we needed. To an instructor with a student who loved the Garand it was a dream come true.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
If gun owners would take the trouble to read the bills they're so upset about, they'd find that the Garand would be exempted.
But is the Garand exempted by the new NY state law? And would it be exempted under the copycat laws being proposed in MA, CT, and NJ? I'll have to go back and re-read the text of the NY law but my off-the-cuff reaction is that the 8-round en bloc clips just might be illegal in NY. I'm told there are 5-round clips available, but I've never seen on and I have no idea where one might buy them.

[edit to add]

Text pertaining to rifles:

Quote:
S 37. Subdivision 22 of section 265.00 of the penal law, as added by
37 chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows:
38 22. "Assault weapon" means [(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
39 ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
40 following characteristics:
41 (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
42 (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
43 the weapon;
44 (iii) a bayonet mount;
45 (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
46 flash suppressor;
47 (v) a grenade launcher; or
48 (b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following
49 characteristics:
50 (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
51 (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
52 the weapon;
53 (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
54 (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
An M1 Garand has a fixed magazine with a capacity of eight rounds, but it would be easy for the State of NY to argue that the en bloc clips are "detachable magazines." I know that's technically incorrect, but I can see them arguing that. Also, an M1 Garand has a bayonet lug and a flash hider, and I believe it is threaded onto the barrel. That's two strikes. Looks to me like the M1 may not be legal in NY state under the new law. Not even with 5-round en bloc clips.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; February 12, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Gary L. Griffiths

Not to hijack the thread, but I always found volleys fired from a bolt-action Springfield (or Enfield) to be more fitting than the troops simply throwing the rifle to their shoulders and firing three times.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old February 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #14
SC4006

I lost my grandfather a year ago, he served as a sargent in the British royal artillery. His service was recognized but there was no military ceremony unfortunately seeing as he died here in America.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:01 PM   #15
5R milspec

NOT TRYING TO HIGH JACK OK I'm on subject

OK kind of hard to speak about,but here goes.My dad has been in the ups and downs these past few months,one day OK the other Bad.Well I found asking my brother-in-law ( mortician ) about dads funeral when the time comes.Well I asked about having a military service,he went to tell me that all he would get was 2-3 men a flag folded and a CD player playing Taps.He then said that he knew of two other groups that would do a better job with all the bells for the cost of their trip to our area.Sad to say and hear that the US goverment wouldn't do a better job for my dad.Yes,he faught in the Vietnam war from late 63 to 65.

Sorry if I have high jacked or did anything wrong here.It's just that when I saw this thread I had to post about what I had been told.It pains me something bad to here and see how our goverment is treating our troops these day,and how they don't really care for our Vets.

If it counts I don't think they will take away the M1 Garand
Old February 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Dwight55

5R, . . . go talk to your funeral director.

We, the Delaware County Veteran's Association, do the honors for all our veterans (fold flag, a reading, 3 volleys, and an electronic bugle taps).

We are all volunteers, unpaid, but through some creative financing, we have found enough money to buy shirts, hats, and with help from the VFW, the rifles for our work.

Occasionally, the family will make a donation, but there NEVER is a charge.

We do the honors Monday thru Friday, . . . and the funeral directors call in the regular military folks for the weekends. They come, and I understand it is no charge for their visit.

I would have a chat with your funeral director and let him tell you what is available.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 13, 2013, 03:25 PM   #17
KBP

Military funerals

Politicians will eventually take away all our rights to own and use a gun if we don't STAND UP FOR OUR 2nd AMMENDMENT RIGHTS! They will do what EVER GETS THEM THE MOST VOTES! Right now, the anti gun, anti 2nd Ammendment commies are on a roll, playing for people's sympathy and emotions for the terrible mass killings. They are on a BRAIN WASHING roll, telling everyone that gun bans and magazine bans will stop the killings. Its OUR DUTY TO OUR COUNTRY TO SPEAK UP and set the misinformation straight. Misdirection, smoke, mirrors, misinformation and just plain lies are being used against our 2nd Ammendment rights!
Old February 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #18
5R milspec

Dwight I did talk to one my brother-in-law,been one for 15 or so years now.He's the one who told me the sad story about what my dad would get when the time came.I will add that my wifes cousin is still in the army,and he offered to help me when the time comes.I guess he will try to PULL some strings for him,not sure,for he didn't really say.I guess one day not soon though we will find out to what will be done.I just hope that most people who have Vets or loved ones like us don't have to take action to get something done.

He all so said that the pres and men an women who are killed in action are the only ones who will get a true 21 gun salute.( for free ) I say that the men and women should, not the pres for he/she doesn't go out to battle.( put him or heself in harms way )

I'll all so add that our local VFW and AL does the same as yours does,BUT for me I just think that my dad should get better for what he has done for us.My dad has had one of the hardest lifes one could only imagine.I will be 40 in May and I can say that he has been in and out of the VA all my life.Now I am not saying in any way that the local VFW and AL is not doing a great thing,just think it should be the same for all,wheather they die in battle or at home,to get a real 21 gun salute service.( if the family wants it )

again I hope I am not ******* off anyone,its just how I feel,so please take with a grain of salt.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:54 PM   #19
KBP

Military funerals

FYI : A military funeral as directed by the DOD is basically the same for all veterans. It consists of the firing of 3 rounds with up to but no more than 7 rifles. (21 rounds) Their is no "official" military funeral for veterans with 21 guns. The second part is playing taps(yes, we have a real bugler), but an electronic one can be used. And the third part, is the folding of the American flag and presenting it to the family. In order to do an actual military funeral, the DOD has a certification course which covers the funerals in detail. I am sure of this because I am certified and have done over 50 military funerals each year for the last 8 years. I just did one yesterday. One thing is sure, we can NEVER do enough to thank our veterans for their service. It is customary to add rituals, prayers and personal notes before and/or after the required parts of the service but not mandantory.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:22 AM   #20
breakingcontact

Jmr40...nice photo of your dad there.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:15 AM   #21
5R milspec

KBP I know what your are saying.I've only seen two in my lifetime.The best one was for my Grandpa,and there was six who took part in it.The six folded the flag and three shot 7 times for the 21 total shots.They even had a real bugler.BUT here at home in our towm ( I guess Local VFW or ML ) has only TWO men who do it all,and all they do is fold the flag and play a CD.For me that just sucks.

I would have hoped or thought with or town having a National Gaurd unit,that it would do the service or have a group to offer to do it.I guess not,or maybe I need to look into to it.

Again as said many times,its the lack of honor in our men and women,along with the lack of honor from our Government.It just pains me to know this,that our Government will not set aside the means to honor our Vets no more than they do.Ounce they have you they have you,but after that they think no more of ya.

As it seems I have High jacked your post,and I truly am sorry for this.But I praise you for what you are willing to do for the Vets in your area.If I can help in any way please feel free to ask.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:02 PM   #22
KBP

Military Funerals

Thanks for your kind words 5R milspec! What we do for the Veterans is simply the right thing to do! I consider it a great honor to be a certified provider of a Military Funeral by the DOD and able to give the last measure of respect and honor to our Veterans. We, as a country will be forgotten and lost if we forget to honor the sacrifice our veterans made for us. Hopefully, we will not lose the freedoms and rights our veterans fought for against our enemies to an eliteist, restrictive and anti-2nd ammendment government!
Old February 14, 2013, 12:39 PM   #23
BlueTrain

There was a saluting party at my father's funeral several years ago. I don't know who made the arrangements but I imagine it was the funeral director. The federal government does not do local funeral arrangements. They will supply a bronze foot marker, however. There were a lot of them in the cemetary where my father is buried, including one for my next door neighbor's daughter. There was also a live bugler. In addition to taps, I requested the bugler play reveille, too, because of the promise of the resurrection.

They did use M1 rifles, by the way, and we got the empty cases. I hadn't known they did that.

My wife's father was also a WWII veteran of the Army Air Corps and passed away about three years ago. The family apparently did not request an honor guard but he was a Mason, so the Masons had a special part of the funeral. I also attended the funeral, such as it was, of someone who was a member of the Washington family of Mount Vernon, as is my wife. His ashes were spread on one of the gardens at Mt. Vernon. That was different. It was very private but he had not been a service member, though the priest, my wife's uncle, served as an engineer officer in the army in the late 1940s.
Buy War Bonds.

Last edited by BlueTrain; February 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:42 PM   #24
5R milspec

KBP if it counts in any way I had a( brain fart ).As soon as I logged off it came to me,what if KBP and his group came and did the service.Well I know to how far away we both live from one another,so I think I already know the answer to a ( brain fart thought ) I will add that if I talk a little more to my mom she might be on the same page as I.So I ask for giggles what do you think it would cost to come my way for two days? I guess add up the drive and food for all who will be coming and any other cost you think of.If I am not asking to much for a ( giggle )

Just to keep my address out of this for now lets say I live in Rockingham NC,for I only live 20 minutes away from their.

Yes,each and every man or woman who serves = in my mind should get the best when their time comes from use. If I had served and was out I would do the part,but feel that since I did not serve I shouldn't.I feel as if I am a wemp and not good enough for the part,they have done one of the hardest things one can be asked to,by putting their lives on the line for us.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:11 PM   #25
amathis

We just buried my grandfather yesterday. He was buried with military honors.

It was quite moving. 4 guns fired 3 rounds each, live taps, flag folding, empty boots with the rifle and helmet. My goodness. I'm getting teary eyed thinking about it.

Tip to anyone in the honor guard on here. Think about calling the local PD and letting them know that you will be shooting blanks. Within 3 minutes a cruiser pulled up with lights going saying someone called saying there were gun shots. . . . . Granted we were in CT but STILL. . . .