The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 10, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
olmontanaboy

New Enfield

I've been trying to decide on a musket for a while now and ended up with an Armi Sport 1853 3 band Enfield, I like the looks of the 1861 Springfiels better and could not decide, but after examining quite a few Springfields I could not find one that did not have at least a 47 pound trigger pull where as all the Enfields I checked out had reasonable trigger pulls. I still want a Springfield, and when I save enough bucks I will search for one with a reasonable trigger pull. I spoke with a very helpfull salesman @ Regimental Quartermaster in Gettysburg and he said that all the Armi Sport Springfields seem to come in that way but the Enfields don't. He called it a reenactors trigger pull:barf: Anyway I am really impressed with the quality of the Armi Sport Enfield and I'm a picky guy
Old November 10, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Congratulations. I prefer the Enfield myself. Better rear sights and it was the choice of the Confederate sharpshooter.
Old November 11, 2010, 04:27 AM   #3
Hawg

You're gonna love that Enfield. I use traditional minies with 70 grs. of Pyrodex.
Old November 12, 2010, 09:24 AM   #4
olmontanaboy

Thanks, its growing on me and I like it more and more the longer I have it.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Hardcase

They are fine looking guns, that's for sure!

It's interesting about the bodacious trigger pull on the Springfields. I haven't measured the pull on my 1862 LG&Y Springfield, but it's somewhere between "don't look at it" and "don't breath on it". Well, maybe not that light, but if it's more than a couple of pounds, I'd be surprised. I suppose that there isn't a wealth of detail out there on the pull weight of the originals, but if a single data point is worth anything...

BTW, this is the very firearm that convinced my liberal, gun-hating, Second Amendment-trouncing sister that shooting was pretty doggone fun. My dad will be able to die a happy man (hopefully no time soon!)