The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 4, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1
RRR

777& the 36 Navy.

Tryed 777 out to day. Clean I like clean but anywho 15 grains with a 120 grain Buff bullet was kicking! Shot way over my gong(big steel tank end cut off 3/8 thich and 3 foot a cross) no hang time with that load!! Is it to much for my steel frame gun? I checked her out no beating of anything I could see. So what do you all think?
Old July 4, 2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Hawg

You're only shooting the equivilant of 17.25 grs. of bp.
Old July 4, 2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Smokin_Gun

I won't use it ... in Anything I got... tried it once.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old July 4, 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I won't use it ... in Anything I got..
I won't use it either.
Old July 4, 2009, 11:00 PM   #5
tripe1917

I had to use it because the insurance industry in Texas won't cover stores with black powder in their inventory.I followed the recommended 15% decrease in load and it shoots pretty hot and does seem to be less fouling during clean up. However, I found a supplier for black powder (Graf and Sons), and am quite pleased with their product, and it costs less per pound than the 777.
Old July 5, 2009, 02:09 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Glad to hear you found somethin' else ... Powder Inc. you can buy 5-50lbs. Price at 10lb. is purty good.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old July 5, 2009, 07:54 PM   #7
RRR

I love it ! Real clean! Seem a little hot. Plus can't get black powder round here. 17.25gr you say hmm. What does 15grs of Pyrodex = in blackpowder?
Old July 5, 2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Shotgun Willy

Quote:
What does 15grs of Pyrodex = in blackpowder?
15 grs, by volume, of Pyrodex = 15 grs, by volume, of black powder. As far as I know, 777 is the only substitute, that varies from volume = volume.
Old July 5, 2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I love it ! Real clean! Seem a little hot. Plus can't get black powder round here. 17.25gr you say hmm. What does 15grs of Pyrodex = in blackpowder?
15 grs. of Pyro=15 grs. of black. 777 from what I hear is finicky about being compressed too much or not enough. If it's not just right it's inconsistent. I dunno, like I said I don't use it. Never have and as long as it's twice the price of Pyrodex I never will.
Old July 5, 2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Oquirrh

777 I use it. Like it.

I have trouble getting BP for all the reasons given above. 777 is carried by my local gun shop.

Positives: The triple 7 doesn't foul and cleans up with soap and water. It doesn't require much lube (or any), though I still use lube pills.

Negatives: I have found that if you aren't careful about seating the ball on top of the load without compression accuracy goes south.

The best results I've had with it is when I filled the void between the ball and the 777 with corn meal so the ball is at the end of the cylinder. That way I can keep the compression consistent and accuracy is amazing. The only problem is that adding corn meal is another step that slows down loading and reduces the fun.

Conclusion: I have gotten good enough with the loading lever to keep my compression pretty consistent so the 777 has been working for me. Also, any problem with loss of consistency with compression is MADE UP with the consistency of a cleaner barrel on the third cylinder and beyond.

Still would rather shoot good BP.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:57 AM   #11
UtahHunting

Quote:
Still would rather shoot good BP
Oquirrh, I see you are here in Utah. Have you found anywhere along the Wasatch front that sells real black powder?
Old July 6, 2009, 08:40 AM   #12
RRR

" Never have and as long as it's twice the price of Pyrodex I never will." P-dex is 18.95 and 7 is 21.95 where I get it. I don't shoot balls just buff bullets setting is no problem for me. Only have the one revolver and when I get my convert more then likely I will never shoot ball&powder in it again. Plus the rest I own are single shots so no setting problems.
Old July 6, 2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
P-dex is 18.95 and 7 is 21.95
Last Pyro I bought was 16.00 and 777 was 26.00. Not quite twice the price but 6 bucks more would have gotten two pounds of Pyro.
Old July 6, 2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Oquirrh

Quote:
Oquirrh, I see you are here in Utah. Have you found anywhere along the Wasatch front that sells real black powder?
Smith & Edwards north of Ogden usually has it--but often only one or two pounds of fffg in stock.

Gunnies in Orem, tries to stock Kik and dupont, but sometimes has neither.

Pyro is about $18 around here and 777 is $21. Because I'm using less 777 per load the gap is even closer.

Pyro smoke tears up my throat and makes my eyes burn for some reason. BP, 777 doesn't.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Missoura Don

Sorry about the late reply...been workin my tail off, and saved up enough to get my Walker!!..but anyways, back to the 777...Thats about all I can find around here right now too, and I coulda swore I saw a post or two on here that said you should'nt use cornmeal or any other filler with it. So...is it safe to use cornmeal, cause I bought some speciffically to use for the 777. Thanks for any replies.
Old July 10, 2009, 11:33 PM   #16
arcticap

It should be safe. One warning involved the following about loading too much cornmeal filler and not enough 777 in cartridges:

Quote:
Also when using BP's, 777 and pyrodex, the case needs to be filled so when the bullet is seated the powder is lightly compressed. You can also use a "filler" over the powder (like cornmeal) so the load can be lightened to mild (don't use too much filler or the load will be too light and the bullet could get lodged in the barrel which would be extreamly dangerous!). Common sense is needed.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...77%2C+cornmeal
Old July 12, 2009, 05:56 AM   #17
mykeal

From the Hodgdon web site http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html:
Quote:
Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property. Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads. *See WARNINGS below....*WARNING: Failure to follow the recommendations for use of Triple Seven and Pyrodex could result in injury and/or death to the shooter or bystanders and damage to property.