The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2014, 09:57 AM   #1
BerdanSS

FEG hipower clone

what would one of these be worth? I remember seeing them a long time ago alongside the new FN hi-powers. Are they pretty well built? accurate?

I cant tell if the picture is just grainy or if they tried to rattle can it. still waiting for the seller to get back with me on that.
Old December 30, 2014, 11:13 AM   #2
UZO

Have several FEGs and they are excellent pistolas!!...
Been able to buy several over the years NIB/LNIB (with original box) for $300-350...
From your pic (hard to really tell condition) I'd say in the $275-325 area.
You'll see them on GunBroker auctions in that $$ range... and you'll also see the 'real thing', used Browning FN Hi-Powers for $425-450... If it's in good condition, $300 is a decent deal.

Old December 30, 2014, 11:15 AM   #3
walks with gun

I carried one for awhile then got stupid and traded it off on something I thought was going to be great. Fit and finish was very nice on my FEG, polished bluing and it shot good too. Wish I wouldn't have got rid of it. Couldn't give you a clue on pricing of the one in your photo's, looks ROUGH from what I see. After market magazines and grips worked fine on mine.
Old December 30, 2014, 12:30 PM   #4
BerdanSS

It was supposed to be a trade offer on a Ruger 22/45 LITE i have. Trying to get better pictures. Looks like they'ed need to add some cash
Old December 30, 2014, 12:37 PM   #5
shaunpain

I hear they are great pistols and probably worth about $300 in today's market, maybe a little more. Keep in mind that they are not parts compatible with a Hi-Power (not really a big deal unless something goes south) and that there are two variants, one in single action and one with DA. It's a 9HP and a P9R. I believe the 9HP is the SA, but I could be mistaken. I would look into it.
Old December 30, 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Mine cost $289 three years ago. Nice pistol, good function. Best $300 pistol out there, if you ask me.
Old December 30, 2014, 01:07 PM   #7
CWKahrFan

I've had 2 and liked them.
We've had many threads on the subject over the past few years... If you just type FEG in "search"... many pages will come up.
The internet in general has much info which is good to peruse because there are MANY variants of FEGs ... some more, some less "HiPower clones".

Especially check out the links in post #4 here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...&highlight=feg

If you want great detailed info, you can get it here for $.99...

http://feghp.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Last edited by CWKahrFan; December 30, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old December 30, 2014, 01:21 PM   #8
UZO

The FEG factory (Hungary) made its version of the Hi-Power for quite a few years and made several different models/versions, as pointed out by shaunpain.
IMHO the FEG 'PJK-9HP' version, imported by KBI (Krassner) is probably the model of choice!
I will tell you this, the KBI FEG's have one of the best 'blued' finishes you can get on a pistola, period!
And mine have all been flawless shoots!
The FEG Hi-Power is a very good pistola at a good price... Try to get one in VG+ condition and you'll really enjoy it!!
Old December 30, 2014, 04:46 PM   #9
AustinTX

I automatically start out highly skeptical of sellers who use worthless dim pics like that one. What little you can make out of the texture looks rough instead of polished. It's also not possible to tell from that pic whether the gun is the true BHP clone or the later version that looked like a BHP on the outside but had S&W-style internals.

These guns aren't rare. Don't buy unless you can get clear visual evidence that it's in the condition you want.
Old December 30, 2014, 08:05 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, the gun in #1 has been badly rusted, then refinished by being painted. It is not a factory finish and pitting can be seen under the paint. It could be a decent shooter, but unless the price was quite low and I could be sure the gun had not been in a fire, I would pass.

Jim
Old December 30, 2014, 08:29 PM   #11
WVsig

Quote:
IMHO, the gun in #1 has been badly rusted, then refinished by being painted. It is not a factory finish and pitting can be seen under the paint. It could be a decent shooter, but unless the price was quite low and I could be sure the gun had not been in a fire, I would pass.
+1 unless they are selling it for under $200 I would pass.

It has been refinished and not professionally.

To my eyes it is BHP clone version not the S&W version has a circular cover at the rear of the slide like this one below.

Some of the FEGs have excellent blue finishes the one you are looking at does not.

Last edited by WVsig; December 30, 2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old December 30, 2014, 09:00 PM   #12
AustinTX

WVSig, that's a different gun entirely, being DA/SA (and that happens to be my photo of my gun, an FEG ACK in .45).

FEG made a gun that looks essentially exactly like the BHP from the outside -- the only external differences being a different slide stop, different slide-stop cuts on the slide, and the absence of the ovalesque crossbolt "footprint" on the right side of the frame above the trigger -- but which uses a completely different locking system from the BHP. To add to the confusion, FEG used the P9M designation both for true BHP clones and for those pistols with BHP exteriors but totally different internals. (PJK-9HP was just the importer designation -- and it was also used interchangeably for these different versions.)

The only way you would be able to tell from the outside which is the gun in the OP's pic is to see the slide stop configuration or whether the crossbolt is present, neither of which we can do from that photo.
Old December 30, 2014, 09:04 PM   #13
WVsig

Stand corrected here is a good link on FEG Hi Powers. $1. Honestly I have never owned one and only looked at them closely. I prefer Browning FN guns but if the price was right I would consider one.

http://feghp.blogspot.com/
Old December 30, 2014, 10:08 PM   #14
BerdanSS

WVsig and UZO

Goood LAWED! Those are B E A-utiful pistols

Thanks all for the info. I was betting it had been rattle canned, but I was secretly hopping it was just a bad picture The spray paint thing was kinda confirmed when I asked about it, a few seconds later the post suddenly varnished

P.S. they were asking $300
Old December 30, 2014, 10:44 PM   #15
tallball

My FEG high power has been shooting great for 25 years or so. You will find a nice one eventually.
Old January 1, 2015, 02:08 AM   #16
KevininPa

I have one like.......

...........UZO's lower one. Had it for about three years. Put a Sprinco buffer in it. I can dump a mag rapid fire in a six inch circle at twelve to fifteen yards. Can do extremely well with slow fire. This firearm makes me look good! I'd post a pic but it's currently getting hard chromed at Mahovsky's. I paid $350 for mine. It was as nice as UZO's, except for the back strap. That took a beating with the former owners carry. I know I paid a bit more than what these are worth but I don't regret it. It shoots EXCEPTIONALLY well. Love it and carry it a lot. FEGs are very under-rated but are becoming discovered. My first experience with FEG was a SMC380. PPK clone. Extremely accurate and very pocketable. Unfortunately, it had the same slide bite as the PPK. At least on my hand. And I don't have big paws. But the firearm shot as well if not better than my Sig P232SL. I Love FEGs.