The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2009, 11:31 PM   #26
MLeake

Two basic uses for collapsible stocks

on rifles or shotguns:

1) For maneuvering in tight spaces, such as buildings, or for carrying in a vehicle (or in the example you gave, fitting into a case, I guess...);

2) In the event that more than one person will use it, the length of pull can be adjusted for each shooter's use.

There are probably other uses, but those are the two I know.

Cheers,

M
Old October 17, 2009, 02:00 AM   #27
T. O'Heir

There's no such thing as a 'tactical' anything. It's a marketing term designed to separate you from your money, only. Has nothing to do with any kind of skill.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:35 AM   #28
musicmatty

This guy makes a very small post sounding off about his gun that he is very high on, and he gets put thru the wash for what?? Can't you just share in someones enthusiasm without having to correct them? Too much judging and chastising happening around here of late.

Last edited by musicmatty; October 18, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:43 AM   #29
m.p.driver

Have to agree with Musicmatty,someone starts a thread and gets snotty sarcastic replies from "senior members".As for the poster,good luck and great choice,13 years in the military police and i always keep a 870 handy.Only thing i have on it other than factory is a light with pressure switch.And no i dont need any tacticool training, having carried and fired it in combat i think im up to speed.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:27 AM   #30
rjsixgun

Sound like your on your way to some fun shotgun shooting! Congrads on the new shotty!!!

I've rebuilt 2 870's (one for me, one for the wife) Mine uses a 20 inch rifle sighted barrel (Remington barrel with Williams Fire Sights) and choke tubes, the wife uses a 21 in VR barrel with Williams Fire sights and changeable choke tubes. Both shotguns have Tac-star 8 shot mags, Wilson Combat sling plates, wood stocks and Limb Saver recoil pads.

Are they Tatical? I dont know, but they are great all purpose shotguns that we use for both HD and hunting. Never have to change a barrel, just a choke tube! Most of the time its only MOD and Full chokes in the guns, MOD for HD, small game, birds and deer, Full for those dang crows that just wont come close enough! LOL!
I found slugs will clove leaf at 100 yards with the mod chokes......cant ask for anything better.

Good luck with the 870, and dont mind the forum rats, every board has'm.

Last edited by rjsixgun; October 17, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:20 PM   #31
VUPDblue

I built-up my two twins to be identical, the green one as a backup to the tan one. The stocks are SpeedFeed short LOP stocks (without the speedfeed feature), the forends are Hogues, they both have 6 round side saddles and the Big Dot Tactical TFO sights from TruGlo. The light is a TLR1 on a Streamlight Magazine Tube Mount. Both guns started life as Wingmasters. The tan one is a 18.5" barreled version with a Choate +2 and the green one is a 21" barreled version with a Choate +3.

I picked the stocks because I wanted a pistol grip stock that was NOT adjustable and this one fits me better than the others I tried. I get proper shouldering and cheek-weld, and that makes for accurate shots. I chose 6 round saddles because that's really the only way to get extra shells onboard in a grab-and-go situation where they don't get in the way. The Hogue forends make for a very "grippy" texture and help make the gun more controlable on follow-up shots when you're aggressively running the action. I went with the light setup I have because I didn't want the added weight of a forend light and because the light fits me in the position it's in. My arms are long and I grip the forend at the extreme end of it and I can manipulate the TLR easily. I opted against a remote switch because I didn't want to risk getting it entangled in the action, or elsewhere. The sights were decided on because of the kind of work these guns were built to do and the ammunition selection that I have chosen for them. They are "go-to" guns, not hunting arms, so an easily acquirable, low-light capable sight was a strong selling feature. I keep these loaded with 00buck, and I don't intend to ever use slugs, so a big flat dot works (and works well).

All the above being said, I ran the hell out of the tan gun in YFA's Tactical Shotgun class this past August. Mine was one of the few guns in the class that didn't fail at some point, and I felt that I ran it well. After running and gunning for 3 days under the direction of Louis Awerbuck, I learned that my shotgun worked for me, and I wouldn't change a thing...

As usual, YMMV....
Old October 17, 2009, 07:40 PM   #32
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Matty, most Fridays around 11 I can be found at PGC Trap and Skeet near NASA in Greenbelt. Come on down and shoot. After the Geezer Squad completes its usual rounds of Chinese Trap,etc, I'll be glad to walk you through a round or two and help you with your form and techniques.

BTW, my skeet scores reek. That's due mostly to shooting other stuff.

Ever try 5 stand?

If you need a suitable shotgun,let me know and I'll throw an extra in the truck.

[I]There's one or two around here someplace.....[I]

Look for a gray Cherokee. Pun intended.

VUPD, if a shotgun makes it through one of Awerback's torture sessions, I care not a whit if it has pink Naugahyde upholstery and curb feelers.

It's a keeper.

Again, if anyone spent more last year on ammo and range fees than on stuff from the catalogs, it really doesn't matter how much or how little, they or you, spent on the latter.