The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
GuyS

Barrels for Rem 870?

Hi,
I recently bought a Rem 870 Express Tactical 18.5 inch 12 gauge with a full mag tube (7 shots I beleive).
Two questions:
Is it possible to swap barrels on this? I read somewhere where you can't swap barrels with a full tube
Where can you get a decently priced 28 inch vented rib second barrel (for trap shooting).
Thanks
Old March 18, 2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Super-Dave

Gander mountain $140.00

or buy off of internet.

I sold one on this site to a guy for $100.00 shipped.

George Orwell
Old March 18, 2009, 04:37 PM   #3
rem870hunter

yes,

gunbroker.com has some. shotgunworld.com does too in the WTB shotguns section,look in the "other" listing on that page. it lists barrel,stocks,etc.
Old March 18, 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
WagonM

I also have a 18" HD (6+1). Just 2 weeks ago I bought a used 26" from a private party for shooting clay, it was taken off from a Magnum Express, came with 3 chokes. However I paid more than $100 shipped tho, but is almost brand new.

The 18" barrel came with the 870 Express model that I have (25077) has a detent ball on the barrel, but most if not all 26" and 28" barrels do not have the detent ball. I need to back out the extended mag tune by 1/2 turn before I can securely tighten the barrel to the gun. Pls see my recent post for detail http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=345147

I hadn't had a chance to shoot the 26" yet ... but will be this weekend-- if weather permits
Old March 18, 2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

GuyS

If you can't find one at your local gun shop or pawn shop, try my spot for barrels. REMEMBER; buyer beware

http://www.barrelexchange.com/srch_1...&Submit=Search

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old March 18, 2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Gazzmann

Buddy of mine gave me a 30" modified barrel. Bluing was rough and had some minor rust, but shoots fine.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:05 AM   #7
rantingredneck

Peruse the rifle and shotgun parts and accessories subforum on the equipment exchange at ar15.com. Lots of the guys over there building tacticool shotguns and selling off 28" barrels to fund their toys. Routinely see them for 100.00 or less shipped.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 19, 2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

GuyS,

You can swap barrels on it easily. You'll need to remove the barrel clamp and magazine extension first. Stories from various owners have indicated that Remington sometimes puts the magazine extension coupling on with a gorilla grip- it may be hard to get off so you cn remove the barrel.

When you get an extra barrel, you'll want to get a standard length magazine spring and an 'old style' magazine cap as well, if you aren't going to put the magazine extension back on with the longer barrel. Make sure your extra barrel has the same magazine cap detent in the barrel ring that your current barrel does- newer Express barrels have a different system to retain the magazine cap.

hth,

lpl
Old March 19, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9
GuyS

Thank you all very much for the information.
Old March 19, 2009, 10:28 PM   #10
rantingredneck

Quote:
Make sure your extra barrel has the same magazine cap detent in the barrel ring that your current barrel does- newer Express barrels have a different system to retain the magazine cap
Yep, and express finished barrels with detents are getting hard to find out there.

Some other tricks to retain the mag cap.....

1) a turn or two of teflon tape on the threads
2) a rubber o-ring between barrel ring and magazine cap.

I've used both methods and had the mag cap stay in place over 100 rounds or so of shooting.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 20, 2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Scattergun Bob

Actually, the retaining system for 870 Express scatterguns is more complicated than
Quote:
newer Express barrels have a different system to retain the magazine cap
It is more like early and mid years of expresses don't have ball detents, current express barrels DO have detentes not dimples and ratchets! All express barrels with factory installed mag extensions DO HAVE detentes.

However, rantingredneck is correct I carry Teflon tape as a standard repair item in my "870 fix-en bag".

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 20, 2009, 04:10 PM   #12
rem870hunter

GuyS, pm sent.

2 of mine have the detent and 2 do not. the 20" rifled barrel (still for sale) that was on the gun when i bought it does'nt,the 28 vr doesn't,the 20" rs smooth and the 21" vr does.