The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2015, 12:34 PM   #1
coyotewsm

laser sight vs gun light?

What are the pros and con's of both laser sights and gun lights. And how do they compare against each other?
Old March 17, 2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Metalboy

I think gun lights are fancy flashlights, and the laser are very nice toys.
I put laser on my CZ 75BD, and I like it. Practicing point shooting.
Gun mounted lights are dangerous in my opinion, also gives away your location.
Old March 17, 2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Snyper

They don't really compare at all
They serve two totally different purposes
You still need sights of some sort even with a "gun light"
Old March 17, 2015, 01:25 PM   #4
geetarman

I have CT sights on three of my guns. I do not rely on them. I rely on iron sights but they are VERY handy for point shooting and I practice with both.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 17, 2015, 03:11 PM   #5
coyotewsm

OK. Let me ask this if it were dark would you rather have a gun mounted light or a flash light in hand.
Old March 17, 2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Metalboy

Quote:
OK. Let me ask this if it were dark would you rather have a gun mounted light or a flash light in hand.
A good flashlight in one hand, and a good gun in the other hand.
Much less chance to have an "accidental" shooting.
Old March 17, 2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Banger357

Not interested in a combo? Viridian makes fantastic combos that are relatively low profile and stupid bright... and they've got cool options you can cycle through (for example, you can do a strobing light and a solid laser which they recommend for a home defense situation as it would discombobulate your attacker but give you a clear target. I personally think lasers are fantastic for any kind of self defense gun though- you never have any idea how steady and focused you will be when the adrenaline hits and the laser is a great idea for that reason. The psychological effect is great too. And you can get a crimson trace or something that won't add any bulk to your weapon if that matters to you... that said, I'd still go with a combo if it was me
Old March 17, 2015, 04:47 PM   #8
chunky_lover

I have some expensive brand on my glock, stream light maybe dont remember

it has bright light and laser, or both on

I like the laser for indoor range shooting just for fun

and would think say night time home invasion a laser may be better as its not going to run any of your night vision you could have in your eyes compared to a super bright light which could make you see spots
and maybe harder to see the sights if you flash the bright light on and off

but of course you have to know the target your shooting at when using a laser

so who knows which is better

I would say ideally those super bright lasers I have a large one that can burn
and it can light up a room how bright it is
then you have enough light to see, and a laser dot where to shoot

I could mount it on a rifle but who knows how rugged it is
I would only use gun specific lights/lasers that I know will hold up to recoil abuse
Old March 17, 2015, 04:57 PM   #9
marine6680

When using a handgun, there are techniques for using a hand held light. Which is my preference.

For a long gun, a mounted light is more practical.

Lights are for target identification when it is too dark otherwise.

Lasers are for the rare times you are unable to use your sights.

One thing to keep in mind with lights... Many are actually too bright. If you use one in a house with white or light colored walls, you can blind yourself with the reflected light.

100-150 lumens is plenty to blind an assailant without reflecting too much back at yourself.
Old March 17, 2015, 05:20 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Hand vs. mounted light mostly comes down to personal preference. You'll find rationales for both options. I prefer weapon mounted even on handguns. I've never been a laser fan. It's faster for me to get my front sight up and on target, and frankly at certain distances I can just point shoot. Most folks I see use lasers at the range spend longer searching for the dot on the target than they would using irons. As others have said, light/laser combos do exist too.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 17, 2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old March 17, 2015, 05:24 PM   #11
marine6680

I don't really see a point for lasers either.

They look cool, but don't really seem very useful in any real manner.
Old March 17, 2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Metalboy

When target shooting, one can see how his/her hand is shaking, and how the gun moves when pulling/squeezing the trigger.

Last edited by Metalboy; March 17, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 17, 2015, 06:04 PM   #13
coyotewsm

The only time I would ever use and gun mounted light would be at home. Just because I don't know if the gun would fit in the holster with it on there. So I guess I should learn the techniques marine 6680 was talking about. I do have a light that I feel is perfect for this though. I would recommend it to anyone. Its an E5 made by Powertac it's about half the length of a mini mag light and just slightly fatter. It has 5 different setting moonlight mode low, medium, high, and high strobe max power is 950 lumens. Its made out of aircraft aluminum and supposedly completely water proof, have tested that theory yet. My only dislike is that the beam fans out a little instead of it being concentrated. However that might be a good thing for home and self defense.
Old March 17, 2015, 06:46 PM   #14
jmr40

Quote:
I don't really see a point for lasers either.

They look cool, but don't really seem very useful in any real manner.
They are standard equipment for Navy Seals, they wouldn't use them if they weren't useful.

I used to think both were a gimmick, but have changed my mind about both after doing some research and actually trying them. A laser that is built into the grip is completely out of the way and has no negatives other than cost. You don't have to use it, and if pinpoint accuracy is your goal are better off not using it. But most true SD situations don't require precision shooting and you are often working from unconventional shooting positions where you'd never be able to actually line up the sights. It is point shooting taken to another level.

Lights mounted on handguns are big and don't fit in most holsters. Probably not a good choice for carry, but great on a home defense gun. Even possible for duty weapons. They could be quickly attached if the need arises. While a conventional flashlight can be used, there are just too many times where the other hand is really needed for something else. Having a light on the gun is a good idea if possible.

Quote:
Gun mounted lights are dangerous in my opinion, also gives away your location.
That is possible, but you're not an assassin trying to sneak up on someone. If used properly this is not an issue and is more likely to prevent you from shooting someone you don't want to shoot. The better lights today are much more likley to temporarily blind a bad guy than give away your location.

I have lights mounted on my house guns, lasers on some carry guns where possible. Range toys don't have either.
Old March 17, 2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Metalboy

Quote:
If used properly this is not an issue and is more likely to prevent you from shooting someone you don't want to shoot.
My opinion is the opposite, because while you are checking out what's happening, you are also pointing a loaded gun.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:06 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
My opinion is the opposite, because while you are checking out what's happening, you are also pointing a loaded gun.
The spill on most weapon mounted lights is more than enough to illuminate an average room without having to point directly at anything other than keeping the weapon at a low ready. You also don't have to turn on the light until you want to, so I'm not sure how it gives your location away any more than a handheld light.

Quote:
They are standard equipment for Navy Seals, they wouldn't use them if they weren't useful.
If you have night vision goggles and infrared lasers then go for it. You not only see the dot but the entire beam looks like a lightning rod but only to you and not the enemy. Irons aren't all that easy to pick up with nightvision either, another reason they use lasers. Either way you're talking about some very high end equipment compared to what is available to most of us and not too many of us are storming Bin Laden's house.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 17, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:14 PM   #17
marine6680

You need to determine your preferred style... Turn it on and leave it on, or momentary on while searching.

It also plays into your intruder strategy... Bunker down in a defensive position, call the police and wait... Or go investigate/confront.

The sit and defend method is recommended for most people... As it is safest a day does not require the skill/training of searching/investigating.

The only time moving through the home is recommended is when there are other people in the home under your protection. And even then, it is only recommend that you move to their location and bunker down.

When moving momentary using the light is the recommended method.

Either way... I find simple on/off tail cap switch or default max bright best. Multiple light modes are good for utility lights, not a weapon light.

I use a streamlight polytac, simple on/off tail cap switch, 150 lumens.

Some streamlight models have modes, but it always defaults to max when turned on.

I have a cheap light for around the house that cycles modes when you turn it off and on... Not something I would use as a weapon light.

This was typed quickly on my phone, so it is not comprehensive and may have typos.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:21 PM   #18
marine6680

As far as the Navy seals...

Are the lasers visible light or invisible IR lasers for night vision goggles use.

I I would guess the latter, as a visible laser seems a risk to stealthy movement.

But I'm not directly familiar with their methods.

I've seen tests on the "giving away position" thing... Weapon mounted or handheld... Either way, turning the light on and leaving it on proved a liability. Momentarily using the light was better at keeping the other person guessing.

Last edited by marine6680; March 17, 2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:37 PM   #19
coyotewsm

The light referring to that I have has different modes but it has two switches. One to turn it on and off one to cycle modes it always comes on to the mode it was one before it was turned off.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:55 PM   #20
marine6680

That isn't too bad... You just need to remember what mode it is in though.
Old March 18, 2015, 08:23 AM   #21
coyotewsm

I normally keep it on one mode.
Old March 18, 2015, 11:23 AM   #22
Shadi Khalil

Laser sights work great on a gun you already shoot proficiently, they will do nothing for someone who can't shoot the particular gun its attached to. I've had lasers on J-frames and got great use out of it. As for lights, in my opinion, any gun being used for home defense should have one attached to it. But like the laser, it takes practice and training to use. And just because you have a light attached to your gun doesn't mean you don't need a hand held flashlight as well. Which ever you choose, makes sure to train with it.
Old March 18, 2015, 11:41 AM   #23
Theohazard

It always amazes me how these "handgun-mounted light vs. regular flashlight" arguments go. It's not a question of which is better; they both have advantages and disadvantages. The short answer is this: Use both.

It's a good idea to have a separate flashlight in your other hand if possible, that way you can use that as your primary method of illumination. I also think that every home-defense gun should have a light mounted on it if possible: If someone breaks in and you only manage to grab your gun and not your flashlight (or you need your support hand for something else), doesn't it make sense to still have a method of illumination? Don't you still want to be able to determine that it's not your drunk neighbor accidentally going to the wrong house?

A lot of the arguments people make against weapon-mounted lights are ridiculous, and they usually just show that the person hasn't ever used one. If you think it's not a good idea to have the weapon light on at that moment and you're afraid the light will give away your position then leave it off. I've never seen a weapon light that didn't have an 'off' switch. And no, you don't need to point the gun to illuminate an area; splashing the light off a wall or the floor will usually work just fine.

Sure, for a lot of things a separate flashlight is better, and if you have one you can leave your weapon light turned off. But doesn't it make sense to have a backup source of illumination if needed?
Old March 18, 2015, 04:55 PM   #24
Strafer Gott

I've only used a mounted light on a rifle, and it's a lot of benefit for not much weight. Using a laser can dramatically improve handgun shooting in low light conditions. You still have to train with the equipment. If you don't train with it, no way. As soon as you turn the laser on, expect a volley inbound. There is an anti-laser drill that involves a magazine dump.
Old March 18, 2015, 09:07 PM   #25
chris in va

I can't help but think a question like this should be answered by people that have actually used the equipment in a defensive situation.