The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 14, 2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Fractal

BreakFree CLP Shelf Life

From a prepper's perspective, what would the shelf life be of BreakFree CLP?
Old August 15, 2014, 11:52 PM   #2
chopstick1

found this on ar-15

I don't know the answer myself but i found this:

This is what I take from memory so I might not be exact of the finer details.But here is what I remember about the subject.
According to a conversation I had with Don Yoder @Break Free a number of years ago,a true shelf life on the Break Free CLP had never been found in its history of production,and if its in the original sealed container and not open to environmental contamination it should last for decades..He did state that the U.S. Military issues a type II shelf life requirement where stores are inspected every three years.Once the liquid bottles are opened its a matter of moisture/humidity contamination and solvent evaporation which can change the viscosity,but even after solvent evaporation the oils and inhibitor packages(several dedicated) continue to work perfectly fine.
For the aerosols its more of a matter of keeping the gas in the can then any issue with the CLP's stability due to environmental contamination.He recommended that the Break Free CLP be kept in a cool dry place.Otherwise the components used are highly refined full synthetic in nature so they should last for decades.

As far as the clumping of the PTFE,it was a minor problem with the older amber colored CLP in the very late 90's.There were also a few complaints of unknown black flake contamination in some of the liquid bottles in the late 90's that was found to be plastic from the containers manufacture and a non-issue.Around 2000-2001 they had an inhibitor package upgrade(two years of test verification before implementation) that changed the color of the CLP from a milky amber to a light green(commercial Rev.E at the time) that gave the PTFE a light gray color,which was light sensitive and reverts back to amber in color when exposed.There was also improvements in manufacturing techniques to disperse the PTFE reducing settling and improved clarity.The newer formula also cantains less solvent to less than 12% by volume increasing the quantity of oil with PTFE particles remaining 0.5-1 micron.
Some folks also had concerns about the PTFE burning off while in use....response to that was the PTFE powder turns to gas at 1% by weight per hour at 900F.The advice was to simply keep the weapon below 900F for extended periods.PTFE bore contamination concerns....non issue as the PTFE does not stick to anything,including itself,so it is effectively blown out of the bore along with the combustion byproducts when fired.

All that said I still have a couple bottles of the CLP from the late 80's,which at that time used a chlorinated solvent(highly smelly) in the mix,I see no change in the CLP after all these years.I have several remaining bottles from the 90's and this past decade....Ive seen no degradation of the CLP to date from storage within my home.So I say just keep the CLP in a controlled environment in sealed containers as you do your ammo and dont worry about it.
HTH
Old August 18, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Fractal

Wow! Thanks for the thorough response! ☺