The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 26, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1
spacecoast

Slow fire improvement + a question

Since posting here a few weeks ago asking for advice on slow fire bullseye, I've been doing a lot of dry fire practice at home using a 3/4" target repair dot at 13 feet. (Not dry firing the .22LR Model 17, but using its near-twin a .38 special Model 14). In addition, I am now shooting with both eyes open and taping one lens over based on knowledge gained on another TFL thread. I also switched ammo to the Wolf target match .22LR subsonic type. I'm not sure how much of a difference the ammo makes but it sure doesn't seem to be hurting.

Previously, I was struggling to average 70 points per SF round with my S&W Model 17 revolver. Last week, with the practice and the changes mentioned, I saw improvement and averaged 74.7 per round.

This morning, I switched guns to my Ruger Mark II (I use iron sights with all my guns) and was very pleased to average 82.7 (two rounds of 81 and one of 86), an average of 4 points per round higher than my previous best with that pistol.

It seems that the discipline and skills practiced with the revolver transfer well to the Mark II, which actually fits my hand a bit better with the Hogue target grips with thumbrest. I think the sights on the Ruger are also easier to see and align than those on the S&W. I've been thinking of upgrading the Model 14 and 17 rear sight blades to ones with a white outline as is used on my 686.

Any thoughts on what type of iron sights are best for bullseye that would be compatible with my S&W revolvers?

Last edited by spacecoast; March 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old March 26, 2011, 04:48 PM   #2
MrBorland

Quote:
I've been thinking of upgrading the Model 14 and 17 rear sight blades to ones with a white outline as is used on my 686.

Any thoughts on what type of iron sights are best for bullseye that would be compatible with my S&W revolvers?
Millett used to make an outstanding rear adjustable sight with and without the white outline. Too bad they aren't made any more. Cruise the web a bit, as they show up on for sale occasionally.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=759206
Old March 27, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

Compare the two firearms' sights. Does one have more light beside the post then the other? Is the blade taller on one? Is the blade thicker one one? Is the notch deeper one one? These are small differences that . But YOUR eye may see one better then the other. Most "target" sights are tall and bold. They stand out even in low light conditions. Revolver sights tend to be slightly less prominent. Just another something to think about.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 27, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Casimer

Weigand makes a nice match rear sight blade for S&W's - http://www.jackweigand.com/smith_wesson_rear_blade.html

Something to keep in mind is that a sight mod could make the 14 ineligible for distinguished revolver matches.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
spacecoast

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered a couple of white outline sight blades for both revolvers from S&W ($10 each), but I'm not opposed to exploring other possibilities if these don't work out.

When ordering the sight blades, I had to figure out what size I needed. The Model 17 (.22LR) has a deeper notch on the rear sight (.160) as compared to the Model 14 (.38 sp) which has a .126 sight blade. I prefer the "deeper" sight and see it better. What's odd to me is that the Model 14 has a much taller front sight (but the shallow rear sight blade) - see picture below. Since the Model 14 shoots low (I have to obscure the center of target with the sights at 50 yards), I went ahead and ordered the deep notch sight (.160) for it and the same for the 17. Hopefully the 14 will have enough adjustment available to work for a 6 o'clock hold - I'm not too keen on covering what I'm shooting at for bullseye.

MODEL 14 --------------------------------------------------------------- MODEL 17

Last edited by spacecoast; March 27, 2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old March 28, 2011, 08:36 AM   #6
MrBorland

Quote:
What's odd to me is that the Model 14 has a much taller front sight (but the shallow rear sight blade) - see picture below. Since the Model 14 shoots low (I have to obscure the center of target with the sights at 50 yards), I went ahead and ordered the deep notch sight (.160) for it and the same for the 17.
Your M14 .38 shoots a heavier bullet that your M17 .22LR. Since POI rises as bullet weight increases, your M14 has a taller front sight to compensate for the higher POI.

You'd typically match the blade height if you're not changing the front sight, but if you can't adjust the factory sight for a 6 o'clock hold at 50 yards, the deep notch sight would help if it's also taller.

However, if it is taller, it might turn out to be too tall for shorter shots. PPC shooters often use(d) adjustable rear and front sights. Short of a custom gun with a sight rib installed, the stock front sight can be milled off, and a Weigand interchangeable sight base installed. Interchangeable sights can be swapped in seconds, so you can have whatever hold you like at both distances.
Old March 31, 2011, 04:02 AM   #7
LesBaer1911

I had the same problem with poor scores on the slow fire. I am not sure you are still looking for advice?? I was able to shoot the timed and rapid in the low to mid 90's. What I did was set up like I was going to shoot a rapid fire for a slow fire. It is all in your head. So I picked up my pistol like I would for a rapid fire and then I made my shot and set the gun down and looked through my scope. I did this for each round and my scores went up from 87 on slow fore to 90 to 95.
This worked for me. It is all in the head....