The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2010, 01:20 AM   #1
troy_mclure

rcbs chargemaster 1500

Ive loaded up a few rounds('06, 7mm, 10mm) and the dispenser/scale combo works great.

The only problems i have is changing powders.

I cant swap powders with out making a mess.

Even tilting the unit to the drain side it still wont all come out easily.

I have to tilt and push the powder with the supplied brush.

I usually spill a good chunk cause i don't have 3 hands.

Anybody got any tricks/tips?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 12, 2010, 08:20 AM   #2
furtaker

Thats what I do with mine also! I have started using a little shot of air jet once I have 99.9% of the powder out, it gets any pieces of powder out of the groves in the trickler tube and back around the drain hole (they dont always make it back in the can but it gets them out).
Old March 12, 2010, 07:09 PM   #3
rottieman33

That's funny I don't have that problem mine empty clean. Little trick I read about put about 1/4" of a McDonald's straw in the end of the dispensing tube so the powder don't build up on the end. Couple times i hit the tube with the tray and more powder fell in or made a mess on the scale.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:24 PM   #4
furtaker

I dont understand the straw thing Rottieman could you explain a little more, is the straw going inside of the trickler tube? and what is it helping do?
Old March 12, 2010, 10:57 PM   #5
woods

After loading move it to the edge of the bench, open the drain and it will drain most of the powder into the bottle

use the supplied long handled brush to brush any kernels off the sides of the reservoir and off the intake tube. Then while still holding the powder bottle under the drain, hit the dispense button

it will vibrate the last few kernels out of the bottom of the reservoir and empty the dispensing tube. If the dispenser slows down, hit the cancel button, empty the pan into the bottle and hit the dispense button again. It will again turn at high speed and empty the dispensing tube

I don't lose a single kernel.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Jim243

I do what woods does and there is no mess. Just be sure the despensing tube is empty and vola it is ready for the next powder.

Jim

Nice photos by the way woods.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:44 AM   #7
troy_mclure

Mine doesn't do that, the powder doesn't just pour right out. Even tilted and shaking it(lightly) i still have to "shovel" it out with the brush.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 13, 2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

How is this scale with flake powder?

Would you buy it again if you had a chance?
Old March 13, 2010, 10:05 AM   #9
furtaker

I do the same as woods except I usually have to tilt the unit towards the drain side a little to help (not a big deal). I should have said I use the air jet when I use powders like H-380 because there is always a few grains that stay hiding under the trickler tube and in the drain neck because of static I guess. Good post Woods! Uncle Buck I just skimmed threw my instruction manual and I cant find anything that says you cant use it for flake powder, however I would definitely wouldnt take my word on it! Yes I would with out a doubt buy another one if this one was to wear out. I love it!!!

Last edited by furtaker; March 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10
rrp

Furtaker, the straw in the end of the tube stops the last granules of powder that sometimes fall into the pan after the trickle cycle. Those last granules that put the weight just .1 or.2 grains over what you have the scale set at. With the straw, you wil get exact readings most if the time.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:41 PM   #11
blackhawk8

I dont have a rcbs chargemaster , wish I did. I have read that someone said to take a dryer sheet and clean inside the powder tube to cut down on static build up. I dont know if that would be ok but it might help cleaning all the powder out. Also does anyone know where one can get best buy on a chargemaster 1500? Thanks
Old March 13, 2010, 02:49 PM   #12
troy_mclure

Blackhawk8, i got the combo unit from Natchez for under $300 shipped. best price by $30 or so.

Uncle buck, i have been using bullseye, and universal with it, works just as well as with ball/stick.
Old March 13, 2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Jim243

I would buy another one in a heart beat. Put it on a shelf off your reloading bench.

Jim

Old March 14, 2010, 06:31 AM   #14
furtaker

Blackhawk, Mclure is wright Natchez has the cheapist price $279! However I got Cabelas in Sidney to match the Natchez price! Came to $301 after tax. If you have a Cabelas close to you that might be an option for you. RRP does that 1/4 inch peice of straw slide inside the tube flush with the end I assume?