The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 4, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1
TheIrishJedi

My First C&R -- Vz. 24

I've had my C&R FFL for a couple years now, but have never used it. I decided to buy a Czech Vz. 24 8mm Mauser from SOG. After shipping and handpick, it came to $162.

The crest of the gun says it was manufactured in 1938 and the serial on the receiver and stock match. Its prefix is E33***. The bolt's serial is different, though and begins as 500**. I'm not sure if that has any significance.

On the bolt head is what appears to be a stamp of a little guy and on the safety appears a Z enclosed in a circle.

The bore appears to be good and has good rifling, but can use a good cleaning. It did not come with a cleaning rod, unfortunately.

The front site rotates for reasons I am not quite sure of yet.

I am wondering if someone might point me to an excellent website chock full of information about the Vz. 24 and its markings.

Next week I'll be purchasing a N1895 Revolver & the week after I will be purchasing a Steyr M95.
Old April 4, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

"The front site rotates for reasons I am not quite sure of yet."

The VZ-24 front sight is not on a band; the base is held on by a screw under the front sight itself. I don't see how it can possibly rotate unless the whole barrel rotates, in which case you should have the rifle checked out by a gunsmith.

Jim
Old April 4, 2009, 06:06 PM   #3
TheIrishJedi

Jim, I posted a video example on youtube:

Check it out and tell me what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tuWF7Bo0w
Old April 5, 2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

The whole barrel is turning. You have a serious problem. Take it to a gunsmith or send it back! DO NOT SHOOT that rifle!!

TK
Old April 5, 2009, 04:17 PM   #5
ISC

The whole barrel is NOT turning. If you look at the video you can clearly see that it has a front sight base that is spinning on the barrel. That won't affect head space in any way.

VZ 24 rifles have an interesting history and there is no one method that they were made. once the Nazi's took over the sudetenland they continuously and incrementally modified the VZ 24 design so that it evolved into something much like a K98. Either silver soldre the sight base in place or epoxy it to keep it moving.

None of my mausers spin like that, My 1939 VZ 24 front site has what looks like a dovetail/dado attachment. My M48 yugo, arisaka and all my turk mausers have a seperate front sight base similar to in the video.

Last edited by ISC; April 5, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

ISC,
You are free to disagree, but if you look at the video, the bluing that is missing on the end of the muzzle is moving when he turns the rifle. Just my opinion from looking at the grainy video and examining my own Vz24.

TK
Old April 5, 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
ISC

you can see it better in his other video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tuW...eature=channel
Old April 5, 2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Tidewater_Kid

I see, but due to the quality of the video, I'm still not sure I can make out a sleeve. I realize that the rear sight would have to move too, so I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't shoot it unless I had it checked. For the record my Vz24 has no sleeve around the sight.

TK
Old April 17, 2009, 03:47 PM   #9
firewrench044

some VZ24s were made with a sleeve on the end of the barrel ( the front sight is mounted on this sleeve ) they are soldered to the barrel
yours just needs to be resoldered ( in the corect place )
(some also have a locking screw under the front sight blade, some do not
so the sight blade needs to be removed to check for that screw)
Old April 18, 2009, 07:45 AM   #10
PetahW

Yep - It sound like he's got a screw loose,

[The bolt's serial is different, though and begins as 500**. I'm not sure if that has any significance.]

Most surrendered arms were partially disassembled upon surrender - aka the bolts removed - with the now rendered harmless rifles in one pile and the bolts in another, separate pile.
When/if they were re-assembled, as in when a business bought the two piles of mil-surp parts - the guns then simply had a ramdom bolt installed, since there was no way to do a match.

It may be in spec, but if I was going to shoot it, I would have the headspace checked first.