The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2002, 10:59 PM   #1
j taylor

870- Magnum or Super Mag

Thinking of purchasing an 870 but I am hung up on the half inch difference between the Magnum and Super Magnum. The only advantage I can think of for the 3.5" is goose hunting. Is this the only real advantage? Isn't the 3" still enough for geese anyways?

Thanks,

J
Old August 5, 2002, 05:27 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I know some Eastern Shore Goose guides who see plenty of shotgunners and shotguns. Most of these guides do not have 3 1/2" 12 gauge shotguns. They are underwhelmed by the big shell's performance when used by their clients.

The sole rationale for the 3 1/2" shell is steel shot. With the improvements in other non-toxic materials and loads,this is less crucial than of old.

BTW, those guides think well of Hevi-Shot for the most part.
Old August 5, 2002, 08:30 AM   #3
HSMITH

The difference between high velocity steel and standard steel on ducks and geese is night and day. 3.5" shells allow you the pellet count to have an effective pattern with a useable shot size in a high velocity loading at 60 yards rather than 40 like 3". 3.5" HV steel WORKS. As to Daves comment on the guides not being too impressed, I find that very easy to believe. Most guys never pattern their guns, most buy a super dee duper gun and the shells that are on sale at the moment. Most guys shoot poorly on game. I have read that the average shell count per duck is around 8 shells, think about that.

I also agree with Dave that with Hevi and other non-toxic wonder shot there is a lot less need for 3.5", but that only applies if YOU are going to shoot $2 a bang wonder shot. If not, and you are willing to pattern and practice, get the 3.5". My fall is dedicated to waterfowl hunting, the 3.5" made a huge difference for me.