The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Ub3rn00ber

Can I have a gun in my car if...

Hello I am new here I just turned 21 about 4 months ago, and I had a few questions.

From what I have read I can carry a loaded handgun in my car here in texas, without a CHL. However my wife is not 21, does that change anything when she is with me, or she is driving (and I'm in the car)?

Also I was wondering if open carry in Texas got shot down?

Thanks
Old March 9, 2009, 07:54 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

I am pretty sure open carry is not permitted in Texas.

I would call local LE to get details on how you can trasport.
Old March 9, 2009, 09:49 AM   #3
BlayGlock

Open Carry is not permitted here in Texas. Guns can be carried in cars with a few restrictions: They must be hidden from plain view, and the owner cannot be involved in criminal activity or a criminal street gang or otherwise prohibited by law from carrying a weapon. You may also carry a concealed handgun between your property and your vehicle, if you car is down the street from your house you may carry concealed to your car.
Your wife can still legally own a handgun even if under 21, she may not purchase one however,so no it does not matter if she is with you or by herself.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
NavyLT

Quote:
Your wife can still legally own a handgun even if under 21, she may not purchase one however,so no it does not matter if she is with you or by herself.
If she is 18 or over, she CAN purchase a handgun in a private sale from another Texas resident. And the over 21 husband (or any other legal Texas resident purchaser for that matter) can purchase a handgun from a dealer and give it to her as a gift. From my understanding, open carry in Texas has not been shot down, but it has not been approved yet, either. It's still illegal at present time.