The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 20, 2015, 04:10 PM   #51
22-rimfire

That just depends if the dealer is more of a hobbyist versus a FFL dealer who routinely sells ammunition and firearms. You can often get your best prices on guns from individuals who happen to have a table; sometimes two or three will go together and have a table to sell some of their own stuff. It is folks like this that make the shows fun.
Old April 20, 2015, 08:52 PM   #52
bikerbill

I live in the same area as Smokehouse; I enjoy going to the show held at the Cedar Park Center every few months. Almost bought a Sig p238 there last time, but hadn't done my due diligence so I put it off. Got the same gun at McBride's for about $50 less, and they aren't a discount shop. The last good deal I got at a gunshow was when they were still held in Austin off Lamar; a Kimber UCII for $625 NIB ... now I just buy a chunk of jerky, wander around for a while, say hi to a few people I know and go home. They ain't what they used to be ...

Smoke, I got the Scorpion, love the gun, it's my new EDC.
Old April 20, 2015, 09:31 PM   #53
Gunplummer

I am with Tony Z. The atmosphere at shows just sucks anymore. It used to be a lot more kicked back years ago. Lots of used parts and used guns and just gun stuff in general. People willing to talk a little if not busy with a customer. I was going back in the sticks to little firehouse shows for a while, but that kind of dried up.
Old April 20, 2015, 10:02 PM   #54
Mike38

Quote:
Where I live, besides the $9 to get in, they want an additional $6 to park - and for me it is also 3/4 tank of gas at about $25, so I am $40 in the hole before I go inside, which is why I haven't been to a show in a decade.
Guess I should be happy. The quarterly gun show near me is $2 to get in, free parking, and only 6 miles away.

One thing I didn’t mention in my previous post in this thread, the gun show is a great place to buy reloading supplies. Especially powder and primers, because there’s no $25 hazmat fee.
Old April 20, 2015, 11:25 PM   #55
leadcounsel

I'm torn.

On the one hand, in the last 6 years I've landed amazing deals at gun shows buying, selling, and trading. And I love the interactions, browsing all of the tables of cool guns, knives and stuff... Most good deals come from private sellers/buyers wandering around. The occasional great deal appears from time to time on a table, but rarely worth the admission price and afternoon of wandering, and the typically long drive.

On the other hand, I do see a decline in good stuff, and the majority of table are waaaay-overpriced (as in "wishful thinking"). And more tables of non-gun stuff seem to be more prevalent. I understand it because guns have LOW margins and high risk/paperwork requirements. So it makes sense to sell "harmless" stuff like jerkey and vests and shoes...

And let's not forget the Negligent Discharges that we read about once in awhile...

What was a fun hobby and past time (gun shows) is now just largely a waste of time, in spite of some great deals in the last 6 years. It has gotten worse over the years. It's frankly much more efficient to browse the online classifieds and get exactly what you want.

Then again... when folks say it "sucks" as I have, it really just boils down to how many good "deals" are to be had. It depends on what folks think are a good "deal." I think what's happened is that both buyers and sellers are generally more knowledgeable or at least able to look up prices today than 5, 10, or more years ago. So, really, what I read, is that a great show is when you've been able to really get a loooowww price, which if read properly is taking advantage of an unsuspecting or unknowledgeable person... maybe not, but that's one interpretation.

Anyway, I have gotten a lot of very fair and great deals where the other party was as happy as I was. But sadly, it has gotten noticeably worse over the years mostly with extremely high prices (where the sellers were trying to take advantage of buyers) and less gun stuff...It's a sign of the times though that the antis are winning small victories by shutting down gun shows...

Last edited by leadcounsel; April 20, 2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old April 21, 2015, 12:21 AM   #56
Machineguntony

I forgot to mention the thing I hate the most about gun shows: the frikkin lack of muzzle control at these gun shows.

I'm still going to the next show, though.
Old April 21, 2015, 04:22 AM   #57
CajunBass

I go to gun shows to walk around, look at stuff, talk to people, and have something to do.

I'll drive to one in another town to have an excuse to take my wife for a nice drive, stop for lunch somewhere, stop at the gun show, walk around, look at stuff, talk to people, and...Oh, I said that.

I think I bought one gun at a show years ago. I've sold a couple others. I've bought some brass, polishing medium, books, jerky, and some earrings for my wife.

At some point during the year I'll sign my wife and I up for the NRA at a gun show. We usually get in the gun show free when we do that. They give us a hat that I'll give to some kid I see standing around. There is always one, and I've never had one refuse it. They usually get pretty excited about it.

I've never really paid much attention to what guns cost at one. I used to work boat shows. I know we didn't offer any real "deals" at a boat show. Why should we? You just PAID to get in the door. You want to buy something. What shows, (boat, gun, home, etc.) really offer is a chance to look at and handle a lot of product, in a small area.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 21, 2015, 05:40 AM   #58
jmr40

I take cash and go to look. If you go looking for a good deal on a specific gun you'll usually be disappointed. But good deals are out there especially on used guns. It's like hunting for a buck that will make the record book, you may hunt for years and never take one that big, but you sure won't kill it sitting on the couch at home. 9 times out of 10 I don't buy anything, but my best deals on firearms have been gun show purchases.
Old April 21, 2015, 06:04 AM   #59
dean1818

To me its entertainment

I go to a movie for $8, why not a gun show?

I get to fondle the goods of what my next purchase may be......

I "try" the jerky ..... 3 times

I buy silver, if the price is right

If I have a gun to sell, I walk around with it (I have sold some that way)

I look for deals (I found a like new P226 for $399 4 years ago) that I sold for $550

I look at old guns. (History buff)

I chat with the old timers

Its all good to me

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old April 21, 2015, 07:34 AM   #60
Jeffm004

I agree with the guy that thinks the internet has leveled or compressed the price range of everything. You will have to do more than wander in to get a deal.
Old April 21, 2015, 02:34 PM   #61
P5 Guy

Why I Go.

Well there is a gunshow down across the Skyway bridge I like to attend, because then I'm half way to Yoder's so I go and get a pie. Seeing as I'm almost there already.
Old April 21, 2015, 02:51 PM   #62
Colt46

I stopped going a decade ago

I live in a very anti area and the local restrictions really made it difficult for vendors. There's probably fewer guns and more jerky/old Playboy's/coin collections.
Sad.
Old April 21, 2015, 03:22 PM   #63
Erno86

If you are a Marylander an go to an out of state gun show...I would bring cash instead of using your credit card --- because some gun show dealers will not sell certain items to a Marylander --- due to a number of Maryland anti-gun restrictions.
I can't verify the veracity of reports that have BATFE agents prowling the gun show parking lots for any vehicles bearing Maryland license plates, in such states as Virginia.

--- George Orwell
Old April 21, 2015, 04:24 PM   #64
jasmith85

Any time I go to a gun show now I usually just find myself looking at milsurps. I gave up on finding a good deal on new guns long ago.
Old April 21, 2015, 06:23 PM   #65
Doyle

P5 Guy, before I left Bradenton, the Palmetto shows were getting hit and miss. Some would be good and others crap. Since Kahled bought Suncoast Gunshows, I wonder if it is going to be getting better or worse.

For pies, instead of Yoders try out Carribbean Pie Company. Their Key Lime pie is famous but a little too sweet for my tastes.

http://www.caribbeanpieco.com/
Old April 22, 2015, 02:53 AM   #66
Brotherbadger

I'll still go, but I pretty much know I won't buy anything. It's still worth checking out as a fun thing to do.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 22, 2015, 04:29 AM   #67
Tony Z

As BrotherBadger said, it is entertainment! What is the alternative, ballroom dancing with the missus? Taking her shopping and commenting on the endless shoes she tries on, that all look alike?

Even if I don't buy anything everytime, I like to look! Almost the same as gun (and the many other magazines I get), I look at the ads almost as much as read the ads-good way to see what is new before the writers get their free samples and compose 1,001 reasons why you need to buy the latest toy.
Old April 22, 2015, 04:52 AM   #68
zach_

The last Premier Gun Show in Lewisville TX had a couple of custom rifle builders with lots of their rifles displayed that made the trip worthwhile. One table had about 30 Spyderco knives priced well below prices I have seen on the internet. They were all gone when I walked past about an hour later. I am not familiar enough with the Spyderco knives to know if they were fake.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:18 AM   #69
Hunter Customs

Quote:
There's probably fewer guns and more jerky/old Playboy's/coin collections.
That pretty much describes the gun shows around here, they are more like a flea market then gun shows.
Very few guns or gun related items but tons of garage sale crap.

Speaking of flea markets, there's a big one in Kansas the first part of May that my wife and I go to.
I'll see more guns being displayed/sold over there then any of the big gun shows in KC and there's no admission fee.
Old April 22, 2015, 10:07 AM   #70
98 220 swift

The gunshows where I am at are getting pretty bad. I don't even know why they are still happing. Its the same guns for the most part every year. I don't know why I still go. I guess to look at some over priced guns. There is some decent deals on new stuff but the used are absolutely over priced. Why would I buy a beat up 10/22 for more than I can buy a new one more? 10 years ago there was deals. Not anymore.

I don't see why some of the "dealers" keep coming they have the same overpriced stuff at every show. I would think they would want to sell some stuff to actually make a profit.
The worst is the guys trying to sell there collections they have the most overpriced stuff. Milsurps are the worst overpriced and usually with sewer pipe barrels.

I know some of the venders and they also say no ones buys anything anymore. Its just getting worse. I believe they will eventually go the way of the dinosaur. Probably the internet and facebook gun groups are causing this. I have gotten much better deals on the local facebook groups anyway.

The last one I went to a few months ago I saw hardly anyone buying anything. I then went to a lgs to see what they had. They was selling guns like crazy. Even the owner said everyone than came in today had been to the show. I walked out with a impulse buy Witness elite match 10mm. My dad who went to the show with me and the lgs said they had to be selling more guns at this small lgs than at the show.

I keep saying I will not go anymore to them but dad usually calls me up and asks if I want to go so I probably will
Old April 22, 2015, 11:18 AM   #71
buck460XVR

Used to be small local gunshows were a way for "basement" FFLs to sell some guns and make a little cash. Because they had little overhead they could sell for less than the brick and mortar stores, one reason "good deals" were more common. They spent every weekend in another small town sitting behind their table. Now, those same FFLs can just be an approved FFL for several online sellers, and make just as much staying at home as they did tromping all over the country years ago. Instead of giving up their weekend, the customer makes an appointment when it's convenient for the FFL, to come and get the firearm they ordered. Also used to be there were not the big-box stores every 40 miles down the road with mass amounts of firearms on display. Small town folks had little chance to compare models or even see something out of the ordinary. While every small town Hardware store stocked Remington 870s, Remington 742s and Winchester 94s, anything other than that had to be "special" ordered and not seen until it came in. Gun shows, even if you weren't buying, were a great way to see what was out there other than in the gun rag ads. Now most folks can travel less than 30 minutes to a GM, Cabelas or BP and see more guns than they could at the local traveling gun show.

Additionally, in Wisconsin, the 48 hour waiting period for handgun transfers has almost killed handgun sales at gunshows, unless the seller is local anyway.
Old April 22, 2015, 12:12 PM   #72
22-rimfire

Quote:
If you are a Marylander an go to an out of state gun show...I would bring cash instead of using your credit card --- because some gun show dealers will not sell certain items to a Marylander --- due to a number of Maryland anti-gun restrictions.
I can't verify the veracity of reports that have BATFE agents prowling the gun show parking lots for any vehicles bearing Maryland license plates, in such states as Virginia.
I assume that you know that FFL dealers are not allowed to sell to a person where owning a particular gun is not legal. You also know that handguns have to be transferred through a FFL if you are not a resident of the state where the show is being held. I believe ARs have to go through the Maryland State Police before you can take ownership assuming it is legal in the first place.

BATF agents regularly visit gun shows. If I were an agent, the out of state people are precisely the ones I would pay the most attention to.

Quote:
The worst is the guys trying to sell there collections they have the most overpriced stuff.
Maybe it has something to do with the type of guns they are selling and they know the values. I have found that these are precisely the people that you can get the best prices from personally. But I haven't been to a show in a year.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:42 PM   #73
Machineguntony

What's better than a gun show is waiting at the police turn-ins. Usually the police will give something crappy like a $100 gift certificate. If you offer twice as much for the gun, and pay in cash, you can find real deals as people were going to throw away the guns anyway. Unfortunately, this tactic has caught on with quite a few collectors/flippers.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:36 PM   #74
P5 Guy

Doyle, I'm a fan of 'Tangy' Key Lime Pies, but thanks for the info. I've not been to their shows since the change in management. One comes up next month and I have a coupon the show. None of the gun shows around here are nothing more than an entertaining day out. At least this one ends with a chance for a tasty dessert when I get home.
Old April 24, 2015, 01:26 PM   #75
Skans

Gun shows are great! I buy as many guns at gun shows as I do online. It's been years since I have purchased a gun from a brick-and-mortar store.

Some recent gun show finds:

Ruger Stainless Single-Six 10-shot revolver (ANIB): $400

Kahr K9 nickel $400 (LNIB)

44th Colt Mustang ever made (1986 Like New - real ivory grips included) $1,100 Yeah, not cheap, but then again, how often do you get to buy one of the 1st 50 of an iconic Colt? Yes, wish it was Python #0044, but I ain't that rich.