The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2001, 03:48 PM   #1
Dixieman

Folding stock or pistol grip stock for a Moss. 500?

I am thinking of sprucing up my bare bones Mossberg 500. Should I get a folding stock or pistol grip stock? Are the folding stocks any good? Which brands should I avoid?

I am also thinking of getting a side saddle and a heat shield.

Any advise is welcomed.

Thanks,
dixieman
Old December 26, 2001, 04:15 PM   #2
melglock

Other than the political incorrectness value, I don't much care for folding stocks or pistol grips (I'm talking pistol grip only). Folding stocks aren't very good at absorbing recoil, and pistol grips are impossible to aim. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the folding stock, since that is a stock.

I did put a Choate shoulder stock with a pistol grip on my 590A1. So far it's working pretty well for me, since a problem with my arm prevents me from turning my palm up, which makes it very difficult for me to grip a conventional stock. The Choate stock also comes with spacers, so you can change the pull length from 13" to 15".

Another option worth considering is the Speedfeed stocks, which have tubes that can carry four extra rounds of ammo. They come in both conventional and shoulder-stock-plus-pistol-grip configurations.

I also recommend the side saddle. You never can have too much ammo available. For that matter, if your gun has a small magazine, get an extender. For me that's not a problem, since the 20" barreled 590A1 comes with an 8 rd magazine.

Heat shield might be a good idea. For my 590A1, that's not an option since it has a thicker barrel than a normal 500, and is better at dissipating heat anyways.
Old December 26, 2001, 05:47 PM   #3
KSFreeman

Seond the response of melglock. Never liked the GSC pistol grips or folding stocks for shotguns. Pistol-gripped shotguns can be ripped away easier. And folding stocks always hurt me more and are harder to get a weld on (for me at least).

Side saddle is an excellent idea. Get a light for it as well. No opinion on the extended mag. I don't like them as it unbalances the weapon (again for me--check local listings).
Old December 26, 2001, 07:35 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

After HAVING to use folders and shoot with only a PG, let me say that the standard stock is the best approach. Lots more effective.

Spend your money on ammo and range fees....
Old December 27, 2001, 04:20 PM   #5
David Wile

Hey Dixieman,

I have a Mossberg 500, 20 inch barrel, full length magazine that holds seven (plus one more in chamber), and it came with a regular stock and a pistol grip. My wife and I have a camper that we take on the road for extended times, and we always have the Mossberg with us. With the pistol grip installed instead of the full stock, it is indeed shorter and easier to handle. However, I have never been able to hit anything with it just using the pistol grip. Using the regular stock, I can truly aim, and I am even able to use it to shoot Trap or Sporting Clays while we are on the road. The stock adds an extra foot in length, but it is necessary for me if I want to use it effectively. I, too, have wondered about a folding stock. When I have seen pictures of them, it would appear they might just do what I want: compact when not in use, but quick to change to a full stock. However, I have never seen any in person, and I am reluctant to buy one without trying it first. After reading what Melglock & MSfreedom have said, I am glad I have not bought one sight unseen. I still would like to try a folding stock to see for myself whether I would be happy with it. Until that time, however, I will stick with the full stock and pass on the pistol grip.

Heatshield? I have no idea why one would want one. I have put them on several friends short guns, but they seem unnecessary to me.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 27, 2001, 05:17 PM   #6
OBIWAN

I am not a big fan of pistol grip stocks.

Especially on a shotgun where they put the safety in the exactly the right place.

using a pistol grip puts your thumb too far away from the safety.