The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

(Spin-off) .44 Magnum Revolver and Hard-Cast Ammo...

This is a spin-off from another thread I started.

.44 Magnum, 7 1/2" or more barrel length combined with Hard-Cast, large meplat, 240 grain to 300 grain slugs moving at 1,200-1,400 FPS...

Would this combination be much good for close-range defense against large animals in north/northwestern regions?? I know there are many that would say it is NOT optimum. But, what if that is all you have. Would you stay home versus go out into the deep backwoods?

Thanks

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=347

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=329

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=48

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=54
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; March 18, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old March 18, 2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Edward429451

They would be fine. I would keep the load to 1200 or thereabouts...I've loaded and shot the 300's to 1400 in a 7.5" Ruger gun and there is no follow up with that load. At 1200 it's manageable
Old March 20, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Morn'in Southern Shooter,

My normal go to load in my 5.5" RUGER Redhawk, is a 310gr. LBT bullet ahead of 19gr. of AA#9.

This gives me a vel. of just over 1300fps. The Redhawk handles this load very well as a steady diet, and it is very shootable in this heavy handgun.

I have found however, that prolonged shooting of the heavy bullets in a Black hawk, can cause some damage/problems with the cylinder base pin and at this point would only want to use the heavy bullets in the single action if also using an after market base pin with the locking screw.

That said, the Redhawk take a lick'in and keeps on tick'in!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old March 20, 2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Gbro

Many have gone in with much much less and did OK. Some with Much Much more and did rather poorly.
How comfortable are you, and how alert are you to your surroundings is going to play bigtime in any situation you may become involved in.
Check out this link,

Last edited by Gbro; March 20, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old March 21, 2010, 09:18 PM   #5
bamaranger

+1

Gbro on the right track. Your eyes, ears and noggin are your best bear weapons. The pistol is for when things go wrong. I don't worry so much about rogue bears, as I do rampant men.

A hardcast .44 SWC penetrates all out of proportion to its size. I just read somewhere that in a gelatin block test that .44 hardcasts were penetrating the length of the test blocks and not being recovered. Expanding rifle bullets, in common calibers, were stopping with room to spare. Ol' Elmer was telling us that years ago.

A 7.5 Blackhawk is a pretty big pistol. I'd load'em to average velocities and sally forth.

No bears here, but I've been in some NW bear country when I couldn't be armed and would have much welcomed your Ruger!
Old March 22, 2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Southern Shooter

Crusty...like this one??

Crusty,

Are you talking about something like this? Or, is there another brand to look at? Is this the only part that gets damaged shooting the heavy rounds?

Thanks

http://beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

Locking Cylinder Pin 1.jpg

Locking Cylinder Pin 2.jpg
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old March 22, 2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep Southershooter.

The Black hawk is very strong, but the damage I was seeing from shooting 325 and 310 grain slugs was to the base pin.

So, If I were to do so again, I would use one of the pins you show and NOT one with an Allen set screw.

Hate Allen screws! Until you get to the larger sizes they strip out with almost zero pressure.

A torks (SP?) headed screw might be a good answer.

But, like I said, the REDHAWK is one strong gun and mine takes the 310gr. loads in stride.

Like Blackhawks, but like Redhawks better.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old March 23, 2010, 12:43 AM   #8
guntotin_fool

Do this first, take one bullet before you load it, ( the bullet, not a load round just the lead) and stand it on the ground and then hit it hard with a good sized maul or sledge hammer. If it rivets a lot, its too soft, if it just starts to rivet and the shank does not swell, its good, If you hit it and it comes apart at all, its too fragile and you need something else.

Got this tip from a old guy who hunted all over maine, killed lots of moose and bear, using a 348 Win and hand loads, this was his method for knowing if your bullet was cast right, I have used it to this day and I have had very good luck with it as a simple but effectiveness to test hardness.