The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2000, 08:02 PM   #1
Battler

I've tried out my Win1300 defender (full stock, 18" barrel) at an indoor range that only lets me shoot slugs. I was doing quite well at 25 yards, and the range attendant got a hit at 100 yards on paper (human chest sized paper - I thought he was FOS when he said he could do it with my little barrel) so no problems there.

This gun is for defense, and maybe some fun if any skeety-type ranges will let me in with a scary-looking shotgun with a magazine the same length as the barrel.

I want to try out the gun with various "defense" loads, and see how they pattern. I've been brought to understand that things like 1 ball going astray of the others is highly undesirable. Today I bought 10 each of: 2.75": 0, 00 and 000 buck, and 3"mag 000 buck, all Remington.

I heard of someone having a trigger guard break when shooting 3" shells on a Win1300 - was that just because of the pistol grip? (Again, I have full stock).

In the understanding that all shotguns (even within a particular model) print differently I'm looking to record some load vs. pattern size data for my shotgun. At what ranges should I take this data?

Also, obviously, I've biased the collection toward the larger shot sizes - they were available at this one store. I'll be going back to another store that has the smaller shot available - what others should I test?

thanks,
Battler.

Old October 8, 2000, 06:52 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

IMHO, figure out your most probable engagement distance and let that be your guide.

Don't forget the backstop and your angles.

In my house, I have one direction (south) where I could fire a cannon with no problem. But - the area where I would most likely (God forbid) have to shoot someone looks directly into my sub-division. So - my max range is 15 yards and over penetration is a key concern. My two rounds in the magazine are # 2 duck loads and the side saddle has # 4 buck.

The shotgun at the other end of the house is loaded with # 8 birdshot. The angles there are horrible and I'm willing to accept the possible trade off in effectiveness for the safety.

Plot your residence and plan accordingly.

Giz
Old October 8, 2000, 08:46 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I can open or tighten buck patterns by at least 50% by switching 00 brands,Battler. Slugs are dramatically different brand to brand.

Measure the longest shot you will have in that house, add a yard for GPs, and then test ammo at that distance for whatever shot stays tightest and which slug groups the smallest.