The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 2, 2013, 09:52 PM   #51
BuckRub

Yes water jugs are a blast. I save mine sometimes and shoot them here at my house. Really fun.
Old April 3, 2013, 01:31 AM   #52
Gaerek

Quote:
Don't be surprised if when you argue for your limitations, that they are granted.
I wouldn't argue for my limitations, however, I am a realist. Although shooting at another human being in self defense, and hitting a stationary target utilize some of the same basic marksmanship skills (sight picture, trigger control, etc) they are completely different beasts, yet people keep lumping them together. They think if they can do it slowfire, on a square range with no pressure, that they can do it rapid fire, being shot at by your target, while you're moving and trying to find cover, and your target it likely either moving, or setup in a way to make it VERY difficult for them to be hit.

Why is it that supposedly well trained police officer can only hit their targets 34% of the time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/ny...ted=print&_r=0

Although ranges to target aren't discussed in that article, I believe it would be safe to assume most of those gun fights were at relatively short ranges (certainly not out to 125 yards). And I would bet that a majority of them are at 10 yards or less. Now, we could discuss the quality of training the police get, or whatever, but I'm willing to bet most of those officers involved in shootings could hit 100% at anything out to 25 yards on a human sized target. But adding in a single factor...being shot at and your life being in jeopardy drops that down by 66%.

Push it out to over 100 yards, which even some of the more skilled marksman have trouble hitting 100% of the time with a combat handgun with iron sights, and you can see why I have trouble believing that anyone could get a decent hit rate at that distance, while being shot at. Of course, if I were being shot at by someone with a rifle at over 100 yards and all I have is my Glock, you better believe I'm going to fight back. I can hit a 10in gong at 100 yards. I know how to do it with my gun. But the realist in me says I'm going to have a tough time getting anything to hit.

Now, most of us have probably seen Bob Munden's seemingly impossible shots, such as:

The 200 yard, with a snubbie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Tied-t1fFsk

or the 600 yard shot with a .44 Magnum (can't seem to find a video)

These are great shots, but do you think he would have been able to do them if the balloon was shooting back?

Hitting a human sized target with a handgun at over 100 yards is most certainly possible. I would bet most people on this forum who have been shooting for a while have been done it. That same feat, while being shot at by someone with a rifle? Possible? Ok sure...but highly improbable. That's all I'm trying to say here.

I'm not arguing for limitations. That would be like saying you can use a flathead screwdriver as a chisel. Will it work? It sure will, but the results aren't going to be as good as if you used the proper tool for the job. You could say I'm arguing for the limitations of the screwdriver, but I'm just being realistic. The screwdriver is designed to drive screws. A handgun is a compromise. It gives you a decent amount of firepower in a small package that's easy to carry around and hide. If it were easy to carry a rifle, we'd all carry that. We must understand the limitations of the tools we use, before we can use them well.

A handgun vs. a rifle at 125 yards is no contest, especially when the person with the rifle gets the drop on you. Could you get lucky? Is it possible to win with the handgun? Yeah, I suppose, but it's improbable.

Ok, I've beat my point into the ground. No sense trying anymore. Bowing out of the thread...

Last edited by Gaerek; April 3, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:34 AM   #53
armoredman

Quote:
If my target were two life-sized silhouette targets side by side, I can hit them every time at 200 yards with my p226. Smaller than that would require shooting from a rest and/or a lot of luck. The cool thing at that range is I hit almost right at point of aim (i.e. no hold over required). Weird.
Couldja do that on video for me? I'd like to see that.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #54
BuckRub

Yea I would like to see that video too. Lol. When this first started we were talking about making hits at longer ranges , period. Then it went from there to long range an BG shooting back. Lol really different. Sure if you can make 10 yard shot still that's one thing then do it blind folded , spinning in circles,weak handed its harder. This has gotton rediculos now.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:45 AM   #55
Gaerek

Quote:
When this first started we were talking about making hits at longer ranges , period. Then it went from there to long range an BG shooting back.
Did you even read the OP's first post? Here it is, bold faced is mine for emphasis:

Quote:
In the book I am reading, the hero is shot at but only grazed by a rifle bullet from a sniper, laying prone, 125 yards away. He and his wife each pull their model 1911s and fire back, two magazines each. Of aproximately 30 rounds, the sniper is hit 25 times.
So, actually, a BG shooting back was part of this thread since the beginning. Others (such as yourself) turned it into an Internet Urinating Contest of how far they could accurately hit a target with a handgun. My point has always been hitting something from 125 yards with a handgun isn't terribly difficult. Given enough time and practice, anyone can do it. But with a sniper firing at you with a rifle, that same feat is pretty close to impossible.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #56
BuckRub

My bad for the first post if it started there but if shooting bullseye or laying prone and shooting at BG I see no difference. You may be so scared you couldn't make the shot but I don't believe my bullets could care less. My training would make my bullets hit the same.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:46 PM   #57
armoredman

Here's me at 50 yards, haven't done the 100 yard video yet - scared to accidentally destroy my stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-rQYeHTug

Anyone else wanna pony up?
Old April 3, 2013, 05:49 PM   #58
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Gaerek said:
post 55
Quote:
Others (such as yourself) turned it into an Internet Urinating Contest of how far they could accurately hit a target with a handgun
post 28
Quote:
Hell, I've hit things out to 200 yards with a handgun before
Quote:
slow fire, bullseye shooting from 100 yards. Anyone can do that adequately.
Quote:
50 yards is about my maximum with some level of consistancy and accuracy, in a controlled situation.
Quote:
Ahh, so you're that guy who goes to the range...
post 39
Quote:
Hitting a human sized target at 125 with a handgun, slow fire is certainly possible, and I've done it several times (well, never shot at anything past 100 yard with a handgun, anyway).
post 41
Quote:
I'll push myself to 50 yards. Rarely will I go out further than that with a handgun, mostly because it's not practical to use up a ton of ammo past that, though I will go further, just so I can get a feel for it, and to figure out how, just in case.
post 52
Quote:
Push it out to over 100 yards, which even some of the more skilled marksman have trouble hitting 100% of the time with a combat handgun with iron sights
Quote:
I can hit a 10in gong at 100 yards. I know how to do it with my gun.
Quote:
Hitting a human sized target with a handgun at over 100 yards is most certainly possible. I would bet most people on this forum who have been shooting for a while have been done it.
Perhaps one can understand my confusion of what exactly are you saying; after reading your comments above.
post 52
Quote:
A handgun vs. a rifle at 125 yards is no contest, especially when the person with the rifle gets the drop on you. Could you get lucky? Is it possible to win with the handgun? Yeah, I suppose, but it's improbable.
I can understand your position from this statement. The rest of the above quotes, not so much.

Now, go figure...
Old April 3, 2013, 05:55 PM   #59
Spats McGee
Staff

Spittin' contest is over, folks.