The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2000, 07:20 PM   #1
Jack 99

I've been thinking about getting into reloading for about 10 years but have never gotten around to it.

Is there a good one-source guide to get me started? I'll want to reload 9mm, .40, .44 Special, .223, .308 and .357 Magnum/.38 Special.

I also need advice on which setup to get and how much I'm looking at spending. I've been scanning the local PennySaver for deals on used equipment, but nothing yet.

All advice appreciated.
Old March 8, 2000, 07:59 PM   #2
ML

The ABCs of Reloading from DBI Books is a good book if you are starting from scratch and have no experience at all reloading, but it is not a load data book. The Lyman 47th edition Reloading Handbook is a great manual full of load data and reloading info that is a good book to start with also. The Lyman manual will have data on the calibers you mentioned and how to info.

Good Luck
Old March 8, 2000, 08:04 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Jack,

I have found SOMETHING in each of my reloading manuals that isn't in the others and that is important, but if I had to chose or recommend I would go with Lyman or Hornady.

ML makes an excellent recommendation. In addition, the NRA is a great source of info.

Best of luck to you, but a warning to the wise ... it's definitely addictive.
Old March 8, 2000, 08:10 PM   #4
HankL

Lyman helped get me started. I will always suggest their book to a beginner but will always offer my help to them as well. If you know a reloader ask them to show you their opperation. It's a great hobby all by itself and the end product means you need to go shooting to produce more brass!
Good luck and email me anytime you wish.
Hank Lampe
Old March 9, 2000, 08:07 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Speer # whatever they're up to now

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old March 9, 2000, 11:56 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While I use several of the above-mentioned books, plus various companies' pamphlets, I like the two-=volume Sierra set. It has more on ballistic coefficients and exterior ballistics/trajectories than most.

I tend to settle on a "pet" load after some experimentation. If I shot only my '06, I wouldn't need a book at all, since I've been using 52.5 grains of 4064 and a 150-grain bullet since 1950...The same holds for several other cartridges.

But, there is no such thing as too little information...

If you don't shoot hundreds of rounds a week, a good used C- or O-press and good-used dies will serve you well. If you shoot IPSC or IDPA, a progressive rig like the Dillon is almost mandatory. I'd rather start out with a new powder scale, although I've never had any problems with any used stuff.

You can often find good stuff at gunshows; some of the books are sold at less than retail, and you'll find the occasional fella selling off "stuff" like tricklers, primer-pocket reamers, shell-holders, etc.

Best luck; have fun! Art
Old March 9, 2000, 11:59 AM   #7
tonyz

I started with lymans 47th edition and the speers 13th edition. between the two I found most everthing I needed to start reloading.
I am slowly adding more books to my collection as I can find them, usualy at gun shows, used is cheaper and knowledge a must.
Anyone that has any reloading books that are just collecting dust please e'mail me.

Tonyz [email protected]
Old March 9, 2000, 12:35 PM   #8
Svt

Speer #13 is excellent!
Old March 9, 2000, 12:42 PM   #9
Jack 99

Thanks guys.

Still looking for used equipment. As I understand, most of this stuff is built like a tank and if I can save a few bucks on used, I'm going for it. Nothing in the local PennySaver on Thrift publications so far.

Any good sources on the web for good deals on reloading stuff?
Old March 9, 2000, 05:22 PM   #10
Cougar

Jack,

Go back to where you got into the Handloading and Reloading message board. Scroll down a half-dozen topics or so to where you find the stuff 'For Sale, gun related gear and equipment!'

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Old March 9, 2000, 06:18 PM   #11
TheOtherMikey

I like Lyman because they are not selling components. The others like to concentrate on what THEY sell, be it bullets or powder.

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!
Old March 23, 2000, 10:05 AM   #12
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack 99:
Thanks guys.

Any good sources on the web for good deals on reloading stuff?
[/quote]

try eBay or gunbroker.com you can get fine deals on auction there. I ahve never been dissapointed. One other thing try the book "Modern Reloading" by Nonte

------------------
Carlyle
Old March 23, 2000, 08:37 PM   #13
Big Bunny

Lyman for me...a good firm, also for blackpowder loadings and castings in a separate volume.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old March 24, 2000, 07:08 AM   #14
Desert Dog

The NRA publication, "Handloading", written by William C. Davis Jr., is a good primer for beginning reloading. You can find it used on the web pretty cheap. Get a new Hornady or Speer loading guide too.

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson