The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
red caddy

Dust off the rolodex...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A long time ago, in a land far away, (OK. late 70's at the Grand American...)

I saw and got to shoot a Browning high rib trap gun with a very unusual stock and fore end. It was a red, white and blue, laminated, thumb hole, butt stock with an adjustable comb and a spring driven recoil absorber system. The fore end was the wide beavertail style.

At the time, I was told it was made by Royal arms, A couple months later when I started to chase one down, nobody knew who was making them. (I was beginning to think I had a few too many at the roadhouse)

Fast forward thru 35 years of cold trailing, I met a guy, in an airport, that said he had one in the 80's, but had no idea who made it or if they still did.

I did find 2 of the recoil system, new in the box, they even have the Browning logo moulded into the pad. Now, I'm hot to find that stock set for an old Citori I'm bringing back to life.

I've been all over Al Gore's cute little invention, with no luck, so I thought I'd ask here. Does anybody out there remember the stock I'm describing? do you know where one lives? what company made them? who might have one in stock? Or, Oh, I don't know, any other information to show this whole thing wasn't a fig newton of my imagination?

Come on guy's, don't let a fellow geezer down...

Thanks. Paul
Old November 8, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't recall seeing one - or at least not as you describe....??

But I have seen a lot of customized stocks on Browning Trap guns...
BT - 100's, BT-99's and XT's.../ and at sacrilegious as it sounds, they were all custom paint jobs / done by "hot rod customizing paint shops", etc.../ I've seen then with the American Flag rippling in the breeze ( almost looked like a silk screen it was so well done), another guy I know was a Navy fighter pilot and he had a number of his Browning Citori's painted with fighter aircraft scenses (from Vietnam era ), and I saw a Citori XT he had painted for his wife - with Camelion paint...( and it was a Bronze - to - Magenta color ) ...and I believe in all cases his customizing paint shop was using DuPont Imron paint..../ the Camelion paint was very cool - depending on the angle you looked at it - it changed colors.../ and I liked it so much, I had a custom bicycle frame painted the same color...

Attachment 92724

but since you have the hardware - ( and the stock on the gun you're resurrecting )...I'd say go in search of a good custom paint shop....

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Talk about a sissy color. Being sensitive is one thing, but sheesh . . .
Old November 8, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
semi_problomatic

Why don't you find a gunstock maker and have one made and inletted for the recoil system? Royal arms looks like their stocks (or at least wood) comes from richards. But I'm sure if you found a color you liked and a style you could have the action fitted and recoil system installed. Probably be a lot easier than tracking down a stock.

http://www.royalarmsgunstocks.com/cr...stol-gunstocks
Old November 9, 2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

You mean one of these?
Old November 9, 2013, 02:33 PM   #6
BigJimP

Don't worry Dreaming....that color will never work for you ...you have to be a "cyclist" to ride a bike that color

( or at least look the part ...)....
Old November 11, 2013, 09:25 AM   #7
red caddy

Dreaming,Yes that is identical to the pair I have, right down to the ratty box. Do you know any more about them?

I have one installed on my Live bird gun It's amazing. I believe it cut the felt recoil by at least half. It's very pleasant to shoot.

What I'm after is a thumb hole stock, with an adjustable comb and reverse taper fore end. The one I saw and shot so many years ago just happened to fit me like a glove, (I'm a slightly overweight knuckle dragger) the Red, White and Blue laminate would just be the proveribal cherry on the pound cake.

Thanks, Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosin pistols 006.jpg (141.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg mosin pistols 007.jpg (123.4 KB, 16 views)
Old November 12, 2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

All I know Red Caddy is that I found that with a Google to see what you were talking about It sounds as if the maker of that stock was the company posted about by semi-problematic. Few if any are as light as we once were and that stock that fit you like a glove may no longer ring your chimes.
Old November 12, 2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Virginian

I have seen several laminated red, white, and blue gunstocks in various configurations over the years, both wood and plastic. Have seen several other color variations, including an orange and green combo (barf, retch!). Saw a brown and OD green combo in Canada in a goose pit. Not my thing so I didn't pursue it.
Bing is your friend.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ocks&FORM=IGRE
http://www.jerryjimersongunstocks.co...x.php?laminate
And many more.