The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 29, 2015, 11:44 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Switching between handgun platforms

Does anyone have an issue going from a pistol to a DA revolver to a SA revolver? Or even going from a 1911 to a Glock style grip for that matter.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 29, 2015, 12:07 PM   #2
KenL

When I go to the range, I usually shoot quite a few different platforms. SA revolver, DA revolver, Glock, Kahr (essentially DA auto) and SA auto. Don't really have an issue switching platforms. Only issue is if I get tired late in the session and then start shooting the SA revolver (44 mag) my groups suffer.
Old April 29, 2015, 12:53 PM   #3
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
When I go to the range, I usually shoot quite a few different platforms.
I too will sometimes bring both semi auto's and one or two DA revolvers just to keep it interesting. If my wife or daughter comes with me, I will definitely bring both platforms. Over the years I find myself going thru phases, sometimes with my interest leaning towards revolvers and then some time later, back to semi autos.
Old April 29, 2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

I will shoot a 9mm Glock, 1911 or 38 revolvers. Those are my most likely carry guns and I want to keep in touch with all.

Granted I shoot the 9mm more but the others are not slighted.
Old April 29, 2015, 01:22 PM   #5
jmr40

I find my 1911's and Glocks to be the closest in feel and function. No problems at all. I can use a DA/SA semi-auto, but since I don't practice as much with one it usually takes a few rounds to get back in practice making the transition. If I used one all the time I don't think it would be an issue at all. Same with revolvers.
Old April 29, 2015, 01:35 PM   #6
BigJimP

Yes, switching platforms ...will effect my speed, especially on follow up shots...and sometime on a Speed Reload because of the different feel of the gun ( grip width, weight of the gun, grip angle, etc ...)

My primary carry gun/range practice is a 5", full sized 1911(9mm or .45 acp)

One other platform I train with .... K, L and N frame S&W revolvers in .357 Mag...very different feel in double action revolver triggers over a 1911...and the reload is way different of course...

The other semi-auto platform I train with ....is a Sig Sauer 226 ( their full size, double stack gun ) in 9mm and .40 S&W..../ and a Sig Sauer 239 ( their single stack alloy frame gun in 9mm and .40 S&W ).... and the double stack, feel of trigger are very different in the 226's / and the size, weight, overall length, etc on Sig 239's are very different ( than full sized 1911's)...
-------------
It will take me 15 rounds or so to settle in with a different platform - when I take them to the range for some drills...

For my Tactical Range Practice....double taps, reloads, etc...
1911's I shoot about 10 boxes a week....
Revolvers ...about ...4 boxes a month...
Sig Sauers...about 4 boxes a quarter....

which is why I carry my 1911's 99% of the time...
Old April 29, 2015, 02:05 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will say again, and keep saying, that if you carry a gun you should stick to one gun or at least one gun type. You might think that you can instinctively tell, by feel, a Luger from a Roth-Steyr or a Glock from a 1911, but when you have to react fast, forgetting which gun you have that day can get you dead.

Jim
Old April 29, 2015, 02:17 PM   #8
BigJimP

I agree with you Jim....

but sometimes, I think its also ok to make it a different "fun" day at the range...and run your drills with something different...( like a revolver or a double stack gun that I own - and like as well ).... 10% of the time / and the other 90% of the time with your primary platform.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:21 PM   #9
TxWheels

I am in total agreement with James K. Find a platform that feels comfortable to you and practice, practice, practice. If you carry concealed or open, changing platforms may very well cause you problems during that moment of truth if you should have to draw and fire.

Now on the other hand, if you don't concealed or open carry, and you only play around at the range, play with all the various platforms you like.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:22 PM   #10
tallball

I like to shoot several platforms per range trip. It's more interesting that way. All of my cc and hd pieces are DA revolvers or DAO semi-autos, so I am not worried about stress induced confusion.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:33 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Range time is one thing. Lying on the street with your blood running into the gutter because you kept pulling the trigger on a cocked-and-locked 1911 is another. "I thought I had my Glock" should not be your last words.

Jim
Old April 29, 2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Doyle

I did. That's why I sold both of my Blackhawks. I never could get the hang of going back and forth and I'd rather keep my double actions.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:49 PM   #13
SIGSHR

1 handgun per range session is my rule.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:53 PM   #14
cc-hangfire

Can I drive a manual transmission and an automatic? Yes. Can I drive my wife's Toyota Camry and my dodge pickup and the spare vehicle small truck? Yes. And I can operate all the various systems on each vehicle, maneuver them, drive them on dirt roads and interstates. I can operate a couple of farm tractors and their cultivation equipment. I also operate a PC, and handful of laptops, iPads, kindles, and smart phones and the multitude of software and apps on each if them. Not to mention the household appliances, and all my power tools (but I do have trouble starting my gas chain saw). Folks, we live in a complicated world.

Being comfortable and familiar and - yes - even proficient with several varieties of handgun and long gun platforms and manual of arms ain't that hard. I like them all - DA/SA revolvers, SA semi autos, DAO & DA/SA semi autos, pump & semiauto shotguns, semiauto and bolt action rifles. Sure I'm better with some than with others, but that's one of the joys of firearms -- the variety!

Last edited by cc-hangfire; April 29, 2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old April 29, 2015, 03:00 PM   #15
RickB

When shooting groups, the only things that affect me are the sights and the trigger. If the grip feels strange, I can still align the sights and work a decent trigger.

When I'm shooting in more dynamic situations, everything has an effect; grip size and shape, sights, trigger pull, trigger reach, etc.
I'm generally OK with a consistent, smooth trigger, so changing from a nice 1911 to a nice DA revolver (or striker-fired auto) isn't a big deal. Changing from either of those to an old DA/SA trigger with multiple hitches in both, widely varying trigger reach in DA vs. SA, etc., makes shooting difficult.

Pull weight makes a difference, but I find it's sort of related to the weight of the gun. I can handle a 10# DA pull in a N-frame revolver, but I suspect it wouldn't work so well in an alloy j-frame. I like 3# pulls in auto pistols, but a 5# pull works as well for rifles
Old April 29, 2015, 03:11 PM   #16
TailGator

I understand the argument for one platform, but for folks who enjoy handguns as a hobby, that is pretty limiting. I have several different configurations among range handguns, but I carry a Glock for simplicity. No worries about thumb safety up or down, because there is no thumb safety. Consistent action. Grip and sights easy to acquire.

To be honest, with pistols with a thumb safety at the range my usual practice is to click the safety off when I point the pistol down range and not click it back on again until I am ready to take it back to my bag.
Old April 29, 2015, 05:17 PM   #17
g.willikers

Like cc-hangfire sez,
If we can drive lots of different vehicles, especially these days, we should be able to use different types of guns ok, too.
It's just a matter of getting used to them.
While it's easier to learn to use just one, who's to say that's what you'll be using.
In a defensive situation, It could easily be someone else's.
Old April 29, 2015, 07:12 PM   #18
wpsdlrg

Much depends on how high your standards happen to be. SD shooting is not, from a pure accuracy point of view, terribly demanding. Individuals vary as to their ability to switch platforms and maintain an "acceptable" level of skill.

In general, I agree strongly that it is best to stick with only one platform for SD/ carry purposes. I try to follow the simple concept of : "shoot what you carry.....and carry what you shoot".

I, as it happens, am not that versatile. When I switch between substantially different platforms, I find my skill level is adversely affected. I learned this the hard way. So, I stick with only one "platform" at this point - DA revolvers. I even prefer to stick with revolvers of the same manufacturer and series. I more or less did the same when I was shooting and carrying semi-autos. But, my accuracy standards are pretty high. I have only recently begun to try to train myself to accept that there is no need to insist on the same accuracy when practicing SD shooting as I do when target shooting. Instead, for SD purposes, I try to focus on the other important aspects, such as speed of deployment, rapid fire strings, etc. etc.

Some people (maybe most) are more versatile than I. Each individual must find his/her own way in this.
Old April 29, 2015, 09:09 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just like driving the wife's car? Maybe not. I have had the experience of driving dozens of different makes and types of cars and trucks (and some other vehicles) on both sides of the road, with right and left hand drive, and I can tell you that switching cars is not at all instinctive, nor is driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Jim
Old April 29, 2015, 09:38 PM   #20
Limnophile

Quote:
Like cc-hangfire sez, If we can drive lots of different vehicles, especially these days, we should be able to use different types of guns ok, too.
But the panic functions on all cars are standardized. If, in an emergency, you need to turn sharply, accelerate suddenly, or stop quickly, you do the same thing regardless of the car (assuming we're confined to one country). In a panic situation not all handguns function the same way.

My carry pistols all function the same way, so changing between them is no big deal. But, I have other firearms for primary purposes other than defense, including a .22 LR pistol, and shooting those does not, as far as I can tell, adversely effect my use of my carry guns.
Old April 29, 2015, 10:35 PM   #21
Bultaco

I have never had a problem switching between different style pistols. I have 2 1911s (3&4 inch), a S&W 3rd gen. and a Kahr as my carry pistols. I can see having a problem if I didn't spend ongoing time with each pistol but I do.
Even for competition I can switch back & forth from revolver one week to 1911 to M&P to CZ 75 SA. without a real problem. I do have a handgun in hand dry firing about 5 days a week so I stay very familiar. The one that did give me issues was trying to switch from a Glock to any of the pistols with the 1911 grip angle. I finally realized that even though I could shoot Glocks ok, I did not like the ergonomics. I fixed that by selling the Glocks.
Old April 30, 2015, 06:31 AM   #22
BoogieMan

I brought this up because I have trouble maintaining acceptable accuracy with some platforms. I shoot 1911's and similar grips as well as DA Revolvers well. If I pick up a Glock or a SA Revolver I am only hitting the target by luck at 25yds. No surprise as I have the least amount of trigger time with those platforms. I am planning on getting a SA Revolver in the near future to hopefully cure the issue. It seems that from your comments above my primary issue in this case is trigger time.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 30, 2015, 08:14 AM   #23
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman
If I pick up a Glock or a SA Revolver I am only hitting the target by luck at 25yds.
My personal experience has been that the type or brand of pistol is irrelevant. As long as you have the sights aligned and a smooth trigger squeeze the bullets go where the gun is pointed.

Glock, 1911, SA, DA makes no difference. I'm faster with a semi-auto than a revolver, but accuracy at 25 yards is identical given guns with identical inherent accuracy.
Old April 30, 2015, 08:30 AM   #24
g.willikers

Quote:
It seems that from your comments above my primary issue in this case is trigger time.
Now you have it.
At one time I used to regularly switch around with three very different handguns for club matches.
My scores were very much the same, regardless of the one chosen for the day.
Mostly due to regular practice with them all.
Probably more dry fire than anything else.
Old April 30, 2015, 11:44 AM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Does anyone have an issue going from a pistol to a DA revolver to a SA revolver? Or even going from a 1911 to a Glock style grip for that matter.
I don't.

Other than "going to a GLock style". I don't have any of those. Have shot several. Don't have any for just that reason.