The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Don P

Grainger Industrial Supply

Just some food for thought. I was at a local business(nuts and bolts) and not having what I needed I mentioned Grainger. Seems that Grainger nation wide is now NO FIREARMS Allowed on their property. I just want to put this out there for those folks who use/buy from Grainger. They certainly will not get any money from me.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:28 AM   #2
TimSr

Did you verify this information or are you staging a boycott based on a competitor counter person's comments?
Old May 4, 2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Snyper

When one searches for "Grainger nation wide is now NO FIREARMS Allowed on their property", the only hit is this thread.

It's my understanding that a business cannot stop the public from having a gun "on their property" if they have a parking lot, but can in some states not allow them inside the stores
Old May 4, 2015, 10:46 AM   #4
tirod

My workplace does not allow ME to carry on the property - while on the clock. Many don't. That is more important to a larger degree because a violation of that policy, even with a gun locked in the trunk of the car, can result in immediate unemployment.

Does YOUR employer require that?

MOST corporate policies are like that. The Customer is usually limited by whatever state law is in place - or the company posts a "No Guns" sign because the insurance demands it.

Nothing to do with what the company owners or stockholders feel about it.

I get open carry customers in the door all the time. But - because I am an employee - I will never open carry there because of "company policy."

Pick and choose how you intend to practice it. I may not choose to frequent a business because of their policy, but it do it based on verifiable reports that the company owners are anti gun. I check on line with gun rights sources to find out what the real facts are and certainly don't take the word of someone I've casually met who works at a competitor's counter.

A sign in the window isn't indicative of a political bias against guns, and may not even be a legal sign. You have to research your local laws and be informed as a carrier.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
Did you verify this information
I am waiting fro a reply from their corporate office
Old May 4, 2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Armed_Chicagoan

All of the Graingers I have seen in Illinois have the compliant (meaning they carry the force of law) "no guns" signs.
Old May 4, 2015, 02:00 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Quote:
You had no business posting this without getting the truth first. I'm getting tired of seeing all this stuff on here from people too lazy to check anything out before posting. What if you're wrong? They fire journalists all the time for being this irresponsible. If it's true and you can provide a reliable link that's a different story. The mods on here should be deleting this stuff if it's unsupported rumors.
Old May 4, 2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper
It's my understanding that a business cannot stop the public from having a gun "on their property" if they have a parking lot, but can in some states not allow them inside the stores
I believe this is incorrect. A company's parking lot is that company's private property. Except in those (few) states that have enacted laws allowing employees to store firearms in their vehicles while working, a property owner has every right to prohibit firearms anywhere on the property.

Even in those (few) states that protect employees' right to have a gun in the vehicle, I don't know if the law would cover customers or visitors. It would depend on the exact wording of the law.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:42 PM   #9
CajunBass

They've never said anything to me about it.

Of course I know that concealed means concealed, and see no reason to run through their store singing, "I've got a gun, I've got a gun."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 4, 2015, 07:12 PM   #10
rickyrick

Private business can restrict whatever they wish.

I'm sure that anyone would be uneasy letting random strangers waltz around your living room with a loaded gun.

Doesn't even have to be a corporate rule... Could be the local managers wishes.

I'm sure that if you concealed it, it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

I only comply to carry laws. If I'm not committing a crime, why worry
Old May 4, 2015, 08:06 PM   #11
dcludwig

A lot of companies have no-gun signs posted. I often shop elsewhere if at all practical. And yeah, we ought to verify whether this is corporate or local store policy. IF up to the local manager, you might have influence on him, even if he is an anti-. A locally owned hardware store near one of my comm sites was posted. I really need the part that day, but I spoke with the owner. I explained the illogic in posting, as crack-heads looking for a buck or a ticked-off customer neither care about that silly sign if they are there to cause harm. It only tells them that it is a kill-free zone and that we law-abiding citizens won't be able to defend ourselves. In a tight economy where he is competing against Home Depot and Lowes and folks like myself will opt to go there where I CAN defend myself, it's not smart idea to post against gun-owners

He sort of shrugged it off, but a month or so later, the sign was gone. He thought about it, I'm sure. A LOT of private owners will to if given a reasonable argument how silly those signs are. Still not sure about Grainger. May swing by there in the next few days and see if it is posted. If so, maybe ask the manager if it is company policy or of his own choosing.
Old May 4, 2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Snyper

Quote:
I believe this is incorrect. A company's parking lot is that company's private property. Except in those (few) states that have enacted laws allowing employees to store firearms in their vehicles while working, a property owner has every right to prohibit firearms anywhere on the property.

Even in those (few) states that protect employees' right to have a gun in the vehicle, I don't know if the law would cover customers or visitors. It would depend on the exact wording of the law.
I never said one word about "employees" since those rules would be different

Quote:
Quote:
http://janmorganmedia.com/2013/10/22...guns-property/

Quote:
22 States Now Say Businesses Can NOT Ban Guns on Their Property
Most states require notices to be posted at all entrances to the buildings.
I've never seen any such signs in a parking lot

Last edited by Snyper; May 4, 2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old May 4, 2015, 09:46 PM   #13
rickyrick

It's all a convoluted mix of laws, conflicting laws ect....

You have a loosely based right to carry depending on this woven web of laws.

Yes we all agree here that the second guarantees the right to bear arms... For a few yes, but for many it's a no....

Nowhere does your right trump the rights of the private property owner, or that of the person in place to steward such property.

I will support any private property owner or enterprise in its wishes in this still free country....

The best thing you can do at these stores is to comply with their wishes, or carry discretely.

The constitution only governs what is allowed to the federal government.

The constitution does not grant you the rights to do as you wish on someone else's PRIVATE Property
Old May 5, 2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Don P

Quote:
Did you verify this information or are you staging a boycott based on a competitor counter person's comments?
Verified by visiting the local store seeing the sign and by talking to the employee's at the counter.

See above statement,
Quote:
You had no business posting this without getting the truth first. I'm getting tired of seeing all this stuff on here from people too lazy to check anything out before posting. What if you're wrong? They fire journalists all the time for being this irresponsible. If it's true and you can provide a reliable link that's a different story. The mods on here should be deleting this stuff if it's unsupported rumors
Old May 5, 2015, 10:02 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I'm sure that anyone would be uneasy letting random strangers waltz around your living room with a loaded gun."

If they have a CCW, no I don't have an issue with that at all.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:04 AM   #16
rickyrick

So I guess we can just force our wishes onto private entities because they feel differently than us.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:24 AM   #17
Snyper

Quote:
The constitution does not grant you the rights to do as you wish on someone else's PRIVATE Property
There are somewhat different rules for businesses serving the public.
It it really "private property" when you let anyone walk in off the street?

If they don't want guns in the parking lot, they should be required to post billboard sized notices that can be seen from the streets
Old May 5, 2015, 11:34 AM   #18
KyJim

Snyper, you refer to a link about 22 states limiting property owners' ability be ban firearms in vehicles on their lots. This is from that link:
Quote:
Today, some 22 states have passed laws that limit property owners’ ability to ban firearms in vehicles in parking areas, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a San Francisco-based gun-control advocacy group.
Read more at http://janmorganmedia.com/2013/10/22...6SchRAl6hrE.99
I don't give this statement a lot credence. First, it doesn't say how states limit property owners. It may be like my state which simply says employers cannot prevent employees from storing their firearms in the employees' autos. That's far different than states trying to limit property owners generally. Second, it refers to an unidentified source. Third, it mentions the unidentified source as a gun-control advocacy group. Most of us here know that these groups bend and twist the truth and sometimes outright lie.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:15 PM   #19
rickyrick

There's no signs prohibiting lots of activities.

You should respect others wishes, even if you don't like it.
Or you can engage in your activity discretely.

Every one demands their gun rights as they interpret them. Others should be allowed theirs as well.

Because you like guns, you can't force private parties to like them.

Some states have made it necessary to post signs.... That's good. Others don't.

If someone doesn't want a gun on their property, it is their right...
Old May 5, 2015, 01:39 PM   #20
jmohme

If you don't agree with thier policies, and don't want to do business with them, then I say, go for it, but sooner or later, you are going to run out of placed to spend your money
Old May 5, 2015, 01:55 PM   #21
TimSr

Quote:
Seems that Grainger nation wide is now NO FIREARMS Allowed on their property.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Verified by visiting the local store seeing the sign and by talking to the employee's at the counter.
You have concluded that this was a nationwide policy because you saw a sign in the local store window, and some guys in a competitor hardware store told you it was national? I'm finding it difficult to have confidence in your information.

As for disallowing guns on private property open to the public, IN OHIO the law is clear and the property owner only needs to post the no guns signs at the entrance to the building, and at the entrance to his PARKING LOT if he chooses. My employer does it, but most businesses dealing with the public walking in are not stupid enough to tell gunowners they need to park down the street if they want to do business there, which would assure them of losing the business, even if they were willing to disarm before entering. It carries penalty of law for non-compliance.
Old May 14, 2015, 02:04 AM   #22
Librarian

At Calguns, I have reports of three distinct California Grainger locations with the no-guns stickers on the entry doors. (In CA, such signs in themselves have no legal force or consequences.)

Poking around the Grainger web site I am unable to find a link that includes such a policy statement.

The FAQ page is here.
Old May 14, 2015, 06:55 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
There are somewhat different rules for businesses serving the public.
Yes, it is still private property, and the property owner can still prohibit certain activities on the part of customers.

Every shopping mall I've ever been in has had a sign near the main entrances prohibiting the carry of weapons. It's usually about the sixth or seventh item on a list of prohibited activities, and it's usually on a small sign in fine print that most people won't even notice as they walk in -- but in my state there is no "official" sign size or language, so it's a legal sign.

How about restaurants (and some stores) that have signs on the front door reading, "No shirt, no shoes / No service"?
Old May 14, 2015, 07:30 AM   #24
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper
Yes.
Old July 17, 2015, 11:46 AM   #25
Armed_Chicagoan

Some news relevant to this thread. A poster at Illinois Carry has been communicating with Grainger about this issue, and apparently his efforts have paid off in a big way! Previously they had a "no guns" policy, that has now changed. From a letter he received:
Quote:
I’ve been out on vacation but I see you’ve noticed the “No Weapons” signs have been removed from Grainger’s front doors. I did bubble up your comments and concerns to the senior leadership team. That sparked a nationwide survey to get customer feedback and it was determined that in the best interests of our customers, Grainger has rescinded the policy.

Hope to see you in the future.

We do appreciate your business.

(signed store manager)