The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 27, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Ticonderoga

Eagle Hunting

My last year hunting was 2002. It was a good year and I dropped a heavy 8 point buck in northern Texas using a .50 cal (.44 sabot) muzzle loader. It was my first buck of size and I was quite pleased. I used a 240gr Nosler jacketed soft point from about 35 yards. Round was a through and through, clipped the top of both lungs and blew the aorta out of the exit hole (I found it hanging from the bush behind where the buck was standing). The buck ran about 30 meters spraying blood out the entry and exit hole until he ran out and piled up. He was a good size for a N. Texas deer weighing almost 200 lbs before dressing.

I went overseas for the Army and then on business and haven't had a chance to hunt since.

While travelling on the trans-Siberian Railroad last year I had a chance to do some hunting and I was quite excited about it. My tour began in Ukraine and I trained the length of Russia past Lake Baikal to Mongolia, toured there for a few weeks and then continued to China.

I had read about Eagle hunting in my tourbook and saw that it was only offered during the winter months. Crazy as I am, I was traveling Siberia and Mongolia in the Fall/Winter and I thought that I should give it a try.

I have the hunt broken down day by day or a few posts a day as warranted by the action that we had. I'll just put a link for the whole of Mongolia; if you scroll down to "Flight to Ulgi," that is where my hunt really begins. But, if you want to skip ahead to the action you can scroll down to some of the Eagle Hunting links.

Eagle Hunting
Old December 30, 2010, 02:23 AM   #2
James H

Looks like an interesting experience...and nice pics! I just skimmed your blog so far. I'll try to look at it in more detail if I get a chance.

It's interesting to see how people hunt outside of what we normally think of as hunting in North America or Australia or a safari in Africa, etc. I didn't get to see it myself, but a friend of mine got to see an iguana hunt in Panama when we were there a number of years ago. I guess the locals ended up getting one about 2-3 ft long. I wonder how they taste. Probably like chicken. Not sure exactly how they did it. I'd have to ask my buddy about it again. It kinda makes talk about rifles' MOA capability seem silly.
Old December 30, 2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Archer 9505

Hunting (With) Eagles

Looks like a very cool experience. I have to confess; when I read "Eagle Hunting" . My first thought was "Why on earth would anyone want to hunt Eagles?" (I am a little slow on the pick up). Looks like you are having some interesting adventures.
Old February 14, 2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Ticonderoga

Iguana hunting

Quote:
James H writes: Looks like an interesting experience...and nice pics! I just skimmed your blog so far. I'll try to look at it in more detail if I get a chance.

It's interesting to see how people hunt outside of what we normally think of as hunting in North America or Australia or a safari in Africa, etc. I didn't get to see it myself, but a friend of mine got to see an iguana hunt in Panama when we were there a number of years ago. I guess the locals ended up getting one about 2-3 ft long. I wonder how they taste. Probably like chicken. Not sure exactly how they did it. I'd have to ask my buddy about it again. It kinda makes talk about rifles' MOA capability seem silly.
James, I can't speak to whether or not this young man hunted this Iguana but they were certainly on the menu in Nicaragua:

Iguana on the menu

Old February 15, 2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Fat White Boy

I had heard stories of eagles carrying off a lamb or goat but didn't really believe them. A few years ago, I was chukar hunting in Nevada when I got a glimpse of what I thought was a bear cub on the side of a mountain. When I got closer, the "cub" spread its wings and took off. It was a huge golden eagle. A big Mo'Fo'. I have seen several since then and I am impressed every time I see one. I believe that an eagle can kill livestock or smaller ungulates. An amazing sight....

T- Did you see any Marco Polo sheep?

Last edited by Fat White Boy; February 15, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:57 AM   #6
mete

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ew-levels.html

Note that this is a national sport and they teach kids at an early age !!!
Old April 12, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Ticonderoga

no sheep

Nope, didn't see any sheep...
Old April 13, 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
markj

Quote:
on the menu in Nicaragua
Stay out of the lake, they is sharks in there will eat a man. Only place in the world has fresh water sharks....

cant say more than that wouldnt want to live there....
Old April 15, 2011, 02:20 AM   #9
Ticonderoga

harmless

Sharks in Lake Nicaragua are mostly harmless as they are in the rest of the world's oceans. Considering that EVERY salt water body of water is shark infested, and the millions of daily swimmers, that only a few are attacked each year shows how innocuous they are. You are 3 x more likely to be struck by lightning than bittten (not killed, just bitten) by a shark.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Tuzo

My first thought was why is anyone hunting eagles? After reading a few words of the post I realized it is hunting with eagles.

Worked in Kazakhstan for a number of years and steppe eagles are numerous along the eastern shore of the Caspian Sea. Beautiful birds. Hunting with eagles is also done in Kazakhstan but it is not too popular in western KZ.

Excellent photographs, with narrative, of a beautiful country and good hunting.
Old April 15, 2011, 11:19 AM   #11
kraigwy

What was the altitude, geeezzz, hunting elk at 8-10,000 ft kills me, looks like your lungs would explode up there.

Great blog, great pictures.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 15, 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Actually, once upon a time, eagles were considered varmints for preying on young game animals like fawns, kids, and lambs that could grow up into trophies. The .25-06 was a popular eagle rifle caliber. Elmer Keith has some unfavorable comments on eagle behavior in Sixguns.

We are more enlightened, now.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:53 PM   #13
markj

Quote:
that only a few are attacked each year
I was told by the locals to stay out of the water.

Tree chickens are tasty too. grilled
Old April 18, 2011, 04:30 PM   #14
mquail

There are roughly 4,000 falconers in the US of A. Some of us do fly eagles but I'm not one of the eagle guys.

Dan Mannix wrote, "A Sporting Chance", which is a stupendous read if you can find the book.

Brad
Old April 18, 2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Dr. Strangelove

Hahaha, fooled by the title as well.

National Geographic channel just did a cool special on a Mongolian 16yr old who had to capture a baby eagle and train it to hunt to become a man. It was an interesting show.
Old May 6, 2011, 02:52 AM   #16
wpcexpert

Haven't yall seen the video on you tube where the Golden Eagle takes out a deer. That is an awesome video.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old May 6, 2011, 05:29 PM   #17
langenc

Dont plabn on bringing any home with you. I suspect that is a big NoNo.

Elmer Keith (Hell I was There) talks abouit killing them in his book. They do kill kid sheep/goats.

Tags
eagle hunting , hunting fox , hunting rabbit , kazakh hunters , mongolia