The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Ruger #3 caliber conversion

I have a Ruger #3 in 45-70. This is a very lightweight rifle and the recoil is substantial. I'd like to change it to something a little lighter, 7x57 Mauser or 6.5 Swedish. Ruger doesn't sell barrels and probably wouldn't have any #3 barrels as they stopped making this rifle quite a while ago, (unfortunately). Anyone know where or who could make this switch?
Old January 12, 2007, 10:43 AM   #2
mega twin

that's something that I haven't thought of,Iwould be interested in something like that also.Your'e right,the no. 3 in 45-70 do pack a punch on both ends!
Old January 12, 2007, 12:53 PM   #3
mete

Have you thought of getting a better stock ? A good stock and recoil pad would be my choice as I love the 45-70 cartridge !!
Old January 12, 2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Pointer

Consider a custom barrel...

Your gunsmith can steer you to a local barrel maker...

or...

www.montanarifleman.com

Click contact us...
click state you live in...

406-755-4867

30-06 FOREVER
Old January 12, 2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Lazy D

Easy fix

Sell me your rifle and buy what you want
Old January 13, 2007, 02:13 AM   #6
TABING

Lazy D

First of all, I'd probably sell one of my ingrate children then sell my #3s (I have a few of them that I bought for $179.00 each in the early 1980s)

I considered the change of stock option or recoil pad and may try that first. I have a couple of other 45-70s in Marlin 1895 guns, so can still use all that45-70 brass.

Pointer

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out too. A heavier barrel like on the #1 Ruger would probably work. I see that they have octagonal barrels, that would be beautiful!

I've shot all kinds of game with this rifle as it is so handy and light to carry around still hunting and stalking. (We don't shoot from treestands in AZ), and one shot kills with this cartridge is the norm. Been using homecast 405 grain bullets at 1400fps range, but this is still punishing. I once displaced a crown off a right side molar as the stock was hard pressed to my jaw.

Last edited by TABING; January 13, 2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old January 13, 2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Lazy D

45-70 loads

I guess since you cast your own 405s you reload.
What powder and charge weight are you using?
1400fps should be mild. I load 405 JFP at 1700+ for my guide gun
Old January 13, 2007, 11:14 AM   #8
TABING

about 35grs. of RL7.

I even tried paper patching 45acp 230 grain unsized cast bullets, but that didn't work out too well, they didn't obdurate and they tumbled. a lot of gas came back over the cartridge case. Had it been a bolt action or lever gun, I would have found out how those gas escape, protect your face, channels work. With the falling block, there's no where else for the gas to go but down the barrel.

I guess I'm getting a little recoil shy in my old age. (Recently, and regretfully sold my CZ 550 in .416 Rigby, now that was a kicker). If the shop I sold in to still has it in June, I may buy it back. At $130.00 a box of 20 for Federal ammo, you HAVE to reload that sucker.

In my Marlin, it doesn't bother me at all ans shoot faster loads.
The Ruger has a paper thin barrel and it is very lightweight. I even put and old 3X9 scope on it to increase the weight, but it's not enough. I guess the stock is just poorly designed. On the other hand, my #3 in .223rem. is a joy to shoot all day, barrel diameter is the same but the hole is a lot smaller, so it is effectively like a heavy barreled varmint rifle, and is a pain to lug around the field. Great for sitting in one spot and calling in coyotes and bobcats with though.

I'm in the muddle east right now, but lining up this project for my leave in June, as they say here, In- sha-allah, (G-d willing).

Last edited by TABING; January 13, 2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: addendum
Old January 13, 2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Lazy D

I have loaded 5744 using 385 gov bullets, and they are very light in my 1895G. If I remember right I used 28 gr. Check your data on the 5744.

You can also put in a mercury recoil reducer in the stock 4" X 7/8. I use the drilling jig available from brownells. It is perfect. You drill a straight hole and don't have to worry about getting it off center or the drill bit coming out the side. I get a lot of request for that on heavy recoiling guns. I have also ported the barrels to help reduce recoil if you don't mind the noise.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:57 PM   #10
TABING

IIRC there is a big hole in the stock where there is a big screw to hold the stock to the action. This screw loosened up once and I had to buy an extra long screwdriver to tighten it.

Thanks for the hint, I may try that option. I always prefer to keep my guns in original condition, and a mercury recoil reducer would go unnoticed, except at my shoulder.
Old January 14, 2007, 01:12 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Have you considered

Lighter loads? I got my No.3 (.45-70) back in 83, and it was used. It also had a ventilated recoil pad attached over the steel buttplate. I guess the previous owner decided he needed it, as the rifle also came with 50 or his handloads, a 350gr RN at 2200fps! I still have 9 of these rounds left. I save them for shooters who say the gun don't kick! I an a little over 6' and an embarrasingly little over 250lbs, and these loads walk me back about half a step when fired. Not for use prone!!

You might consider getting it magnaported. It won't reduce the recoil, but it will reduce the "jump" and might save your dental work. Or just get it restocked to something with a better profile.

Rebarreling is possible, but I don't think you can get one from Ruger. I did see a really nice No.3 at a gunshow a couple of years ago, restocked, and fitted with a long octagon barrel. Cal? .45-120!

I also have a No.3 in .22 Hornet. Sweet little gun, but so is the .45-70.

If you do get yours rebarreled, why not consider a wildcat on the .45-70 case? A 6.5mm on that case ought to give awesome performance, and you won't have to have any changes done to the extractor.
Old January 14, 2007, 06:27 AM   #12
TABING

45-70 case with 6.5mm bullet? I think (not sure) that is called "overebored".
that would be a 2 mile rifle. I recall in the book "Unintended Consequences" a fellow had a 30-06 case with 6mm bullet that was considered the ultimate long range cartridge.

I don't know but is there such a thing as 45-70 necked down to something as small as 6.5mm. Making those cases would probably take quite a few steps.

More feasable would be a 7mm bullet or 30 cal bullet, both of which have a large variety of bullets available. I especially like the 7mm because of it's sectional density. I have a couple of 7mm and 30 cal molds too!

I appreciate all the input as this has given me a variety of options to consider.

I also have to say that people on this Smithy forum seem to a lot more knowledgable than on the other forums here.

Thanks to all, and keep those ideas coming.
Old January 14, 2007, 07:48 AM   #13
mega twin

My no.3 does have a recoil pad ,and it still bothers my arthritic shoulder. A friend is going to pick up his garand from a smith, and he is going to give me a ball park quote on a rebarrel. I still have a sharps replica in 45-70, so I won't be out a caliber anyhow.I will let you know an approximate cost if it is something that he will even do. I am asking about 257 roberts,243, or 7x57.
Old January 14, 2007, 09:38 AM   #14
UniversalFrost

I would put a muzzle brake, or magna port on it to help with the recoil. Also, the mercury recoil reducer works! Then get a Pachymar declerator pad, if you still need help, get a shooting jacket (browning, or others out there) or shoulder pad for shooting (midway has a good selection). This should help out.

Otherwise, I like Krieger or Shilen barrels and they can chamber them in just about any caliber and even install the barrel on your rifle and headspace for a reasonable price (Krieger did a few of mine, don't know about shilen). Check out their sites and give them a call.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 14, 2007, 11:48 AM   #15
TABING

Thanks again

Thanks again for the imput!
Old January 14, 2007, 06:49 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Overbored?

Perhaps, but there are some really slow powders out there today. A 7mm or a .30 would likely be a bit more practical. And, who says you have to use the full length .45-70 case anyway? Shortening the case some would result in a less "overbore" round. Anyway, it would certainly be something no one else has (yet!). This has got me thinking, maybe it is time to rebarrel my Siamese Mauser (.45-70)! I'll have to do some research. A 6.5mm on that case would be time consuming to form, but think about it! Probably could duplicate the performance of the new Super Short Mags so many people are so crazy about. This deserves further thought.

Just checked my copy of Unintended Consequences, and in the section I like to call the Varmint Hunter's Revenge", the rifle is a 6mm, using the .348 Winchester case. So my idea of a 6.5mm on the .45-70 case isn't all that far fetched.

Anyway, please keep us informed on the progress of your project, we wish you well. Enjoy, and good luck.
Old January 16, 2007, 12:27 AM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...recoil pad..." Pachmayr makes a slip on for not a lot of money you could try. Used one on my '03A4 when developing the load. Works well.
Old January 16, 2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Jim Watson

A No 1 stock will fit a No 3. That will get you a pistol grip and a flat butt to spread the load. Friend of mine has one he calls his "No 2."

You can have the No 3 custom rebarrelled to about any caliber, the action is the same as the No 1 except for the lever. The extractor will have to be changed to the new rim size, but that will be a lot less trouble and expense than tooling up for a wildcat on .45-70 brass. I have a .33 Winchester and only make cases for it from .45-70 because it is an antique I want to keep in service. There is a Ruger board at rugerforum.com where you might find a shop to do the work.
Old January 16, 2007, 11:26 AM   #19
TABING

Thanks again,

I'm going to run this by the ruger forum too.
Old January 21, 2007, 09:03 PM   #20
Bompa

Years ago I to was beaten by the recoil of the #3 in 47/70..Was able to get a #1 butt stock and what a difference..Also thought about changing the finger lever to the #1 style but never had the extra money..That was a lot longer ago than I want to admit but the rifle is still here and does shoot rather well..I shoot mostly lead,can't remember the load ofhand tho.. Will check if anyone is interested..
Old November 4, 2007, 07:25 PM   #21
wentwilly

45-70

Hello -I have a Ruger#3 4570 I bought in 1980 at Kodiak (for $125.00!) Does anyone on this forum know where I can buy a brass buttplate for it?-Thanks-Willy
Old November 4, 2007, 08:42 PM   #22
fisherman66

Quote:
A No 1 stock will fit a No 3
Yup. Great American Gun Stocks makes #1 stocks. You can use their patterns too. I was quoted a very reasonable price when I inquired about a #1 stock.