The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2001, 10:05 PM   #1
wolf 1415

First of all, I'd like to tip the shooter's cap to all of the experienced reloaders that tolerate the incessant questions of us newbies...Thanks. Now the next question.

I've searched the 9mm load data from this site and some list OAL and some don't. So can OAL be the same for all loads of a given weight and type, (115 grn fmj) or does OAL have to change with powder brand?
"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with Army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." Wilson vs. State, Ark. 1878
Old January 15, 2001, 11:38 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I think, if memory doesn't fail, that max LOA for 9mm with ball is something like 1.169". Most factory ball will be less. I suspect that if you set your round nose seating die with a factory ball round, if you're seating a bullet of the same profile all will be OK. Because increases in seating depth increase pressures and because not all of us will seat to the same depth, reloading manuals suggest starting out on the lower end of the scale and working up. There are other reasons as well, but I'm sure that having no control over how deep bullets are seated is one of them. A general rule of thumb when in doubt and having no data to check for LOA, is to seat your bullet about 1/2 caliber deep. See if this works through your magazine and increase seating depth if necessary. Drop one in the chamber to be sure it doesn't engage the rifling. If it doesn't, you might try a few loaded to that length.

Best.
Old January 15, 2001, 11:52 PM   #3
jsn

OAL

wolf OAL is for the bullet being used not the powder or for just 115gr in general,OAL in most book's is the MINIMUM allowed without presure increase for bullet used,now you don't have to use the exact same make of bullet( it's best though) but it should be the same weight and type(fmj hp ect.). you can also seat the bullet LONGER(to a point do not exceed MAX COL) with no problem as far as presure,but if it's for a auto you may have problems feeding and fiting the bullets in the mag.

to give an example(hornady 4 edition book)
115gr hornady HP/XTP OAL 1.050
115gr hornady FMJ-RN OAL 1.150

same weight but different shape,now if you seated the XTP to the FMJ spec(1.150) it would not cause a presure increase but do the reverse and you could have trouble.

Hope this helps
john

[Edited by jsn on 01-16-2001 at 02:14 AM]