The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1
stubbicatt

I like 6.5x47 Lapua

Nothing really important here, but I'm in process of building my F class rifle as funds become available. I received all of my components, including Lapua brass and bullets, Whidden dies, etc. I am very happy.

Photos just don't do the little pipsqueek cartridge justice. I didn't know what to expect, as I hadn't ever actually seen a 6.5x47L in person, but the little powder chamber reminds me a great deal of a 6 BR, with a long neck to hold the bullets.

Nonetheless, it is supposed to kick 123 grain bullets out the muzzle at a respectable 3000 fps.

So I took a few minutes yesterday to find the "zero point" where the bullet ogive is *just* touching the lands, and set my Whidden die to "zero" at that point with a 123 grain bullet. And now I have a dummy round to work from.

As an aside, I am impressed with the Whidden dies. If you have ever used the Redding micrometer seater, you are familiar enough with the concept. At $165 for both sizing and seating die, you get a lot for your money.

Anyways. Just happy, and that's enough.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Woolecox

That is a great round. Going to build a light bench rest rifle here in the next year or so and it is probably going to be 6.5x47.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
allaroundhunter

Re: I like 6.5x47 Lapua

Is that a FL sizing die or a neck sizing die included with the 2-die package?
Old July 11, 2013, 07:49 AM   #4
stubbicatt

Allaroundhunter, the dies come with your choice of a FL sizing die or a FL bushing die. I opted for the FL bushing die. As I understand it the body of the die is cut to dimensions which work well with the PTG reamer used to cut the chamber of my rifle.

This has been a fantastic adventure, and I have met so many really friendly people along the way. It is funny how those who can do don't seem to have as much ego tied up in this sport as those who are struggling...