The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2011, 01:57 AM   #1
fishblade2

weatherby shotguns

How do these guns rank among the other shotgun brands out there? In particular how does it rank compared to mossberg, benelli, winchester, and browning? Also if it ranks better depending on what the purpose of the gun is then just add that in your comment. I don't know much of anything about this brand for shotguns but I just saw a video about them and became curious to how good they actually are. Thanks for the help!
Old October 3, 2011, 01:59 AM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Build quality seems to be very good and they seem to point quite well (actually far better than any mossberg I've shot).. The pump and auto are made in Turkey and the O/U and SXS are made in Italy by Fausti Stefano.... Can't tell you much more than that..
Old October 3, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
darkgael

Weatherby

Don't know about current production. I have a Weatherby Orion 20ga. O/U. It was made by SKB. A very nice gun....my 20 gauge choice for Upland hunting.
Pete
Old October 3, 2011, 08:50 AM   #4
oneounceload

As mentioned on the other forum - it depends. Weatherby never made anything, they had them made for them - some, like SKB, as very good guns; some like the some of the current Turkish ones, not so much

Which ones are you talking about?
Old October 3, 2011, 11:15 AM   #5
BigJimP

good valid comments above...

....but even for the best of the Weatherby brands -- personally, I'd rank them at least a step or two or more below .......Benelli - Beretta or
... Winchester - Browning.

In my opinion, they're probably in the same ranking area of Mossbergs.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:40 PM   #6
trodge

Weatherby Shot Gun for Sale - Great Deal! $260

I am selling a Brand New Weatherby PA-08 Shot Gun. I set the Reserved bid price at $260. You won't find a better deal. Here is the link to the auction.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995409918..._08_260_Re.htm
Old January 3, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7
olddrum1

I believe you have to have owned the gun to rate the gun. Having owned all the guns BJP mentioned, The Orion (SKB 685) is every bit as much a gun as any of them and I would rate them closer to a Mossberg than the Orion (SKB 685).
Old January 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Marquezj16

I currently own two of the newer production guns. Both pump, the PA 08 Upland and the PA 459 TR. Both are made in Turkey.

Dollar per dollar, they are a whole lot better than my 870s or my friends Mossberg. Actions are smoother and their finish is way above the Rem and Mossberg.

My Beretta is a semi so can't compare them.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #9
olddrum1

Before BJP gets his bowels in an uproar, SKB manufactured two guns, in my view, that are better in about every aspect in functionality (not looks) than Browning, Beretta, etc. Better wood to metal fit, better wood, better trigger group, etc. One of those two is the SKB 685. Looks like crap but you cannot wear one out.
Old January 3, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10
johnbt

Nevermind, I'm still surfing for the right link. Weatherby doesn't even show an O/U on their site.

edited: Okay, the safety recall on the SA08.

www.weatherby.com/sa08safety

JT

Last edited by johnbt; January 3, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 03:43 PM   #11
BigJimP

For what its worth ...I'd rank most of the SKB's above anything currently made under the Weatherby name..

I don't think SKB's are as good as most of the models put out by Beretta or Browning ....but they should be in the conversation of acceptable or serviceable O/U's ...but Weatherby, not so much ...in my opinion.

but I'll admit when it comes to O/u's I am biased toward Browning ( or Beretta )- for what I consider to be O/U's that are affordable / and that give= you a lot of gun for the money. ( I had the same conversation with a gunshop owner this morning / young guy in there looking for an O/U under
$ 1,000 ...and there just isn't anything too good to say about most of them.