The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 8, 2010, 12:10 AM   #1
OttoJara

Python hunting

Python hunting starts tomorrow in Florida. lic. costs 26 bucks. sounds like fun.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old March 8, 2010, 01:15 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds like a lot of work with little reward beyond the novelty aspect. The closed areas hold the highest populations of all the exotic nuisance invasives.

If the whole thing takes off much at all, this would result in high numbers of hunters in the smaller areas with lesser population per acre.

I hope they open some areas to the invasive specie permit holders.
Brent
Old March 8, 2010, 01:59 AM   #3
B. Lahey

Dang, with a nasty invasive species like that I would have figured it would be open season 24/7/365, no license required.

Guess they really aren't that worried about them.
Old March 8, 2010, 02:29 AM   #4
richiep

I breed the smaller species of pythons. Its horrible that people have let these go in florida. At least they WILL NOT be able to spread north. Good luck with your hunt it is going to be so hard to find them. I deer hunt all the time but with one of those snakes you could be next to a 10' one and not even see it. It is funny how FL is putting a lot of money towards trying to exterminate them and they are charging people $26 to hunt them. I really wonder about law/regulation makers sometimes....
Old March 8, 2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Mike U.

Quote:
It is funny how FL is putting a lot of money towards trying to exterminate them and they are charging people $26 to hunt them. I really wonder about law/regulation makers sometimes....
Greed. Pure and simple. Ever see a politician NOT pass up a chance to impose a new fee or tax given half the chance?
Sorry. I'm one who believes the world would be a far better place if all politicians, lawyers and actors were rounded up and shipped to Antarctica.

Now, back on task, Mike. If your successful and get to keep the skin you could easily make that 26 duckies up.
Ever price snakeskin goods?
Old March 8, 2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
It is funny how FL is putting a lot of money towards trying to exterminate them and they are charging people $26 to hunt them. I really wonder about law/regulation makers sometimes....
You are absolutely correct and they are only following the example of other states. Anytime a state has a problem like this, they create a special season and require hunters to pay them. If the state has a problem, they should pay a bounty to hunters. Various states, counties state parks and even areas within a cities limits, encounter these problems and again, ask hunters to take care of their problems and pay for it. Who said life was fair ??

Be Safe !!!
Old March 8, 2010, 11:37 PM   #7
reloader28

Never heard of it before. Sounds like fun.
Do you bait or stalk them?
How big are they?
What do you do? Shoot them, wrestle them or what?
I want to see a shoulder mount.
Post pics if you get one.
Old March 9, 2010, 08:00 AM   #8
skydiver3346

Python Hunting:

I think a .12 GA shotgun loaded with #4 turkey shot would be a great "hunting" shell for these pythons. The just found a 11" Rock Python south of where we live. It is amazing the size of their quarry can be and still be swallowed. Guess that is the same for all the species: Boas, Pythons
Old March 9, 2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Buzzard Bait

not from Florida

I'm not from Florida so maybe I don't understand do you mean if your in an area where it is legal to hunt (not in a preserve, someone Else's property or in city limits etc.) and you see an invasive and problem species you can't just kill it? Seems like they would encourage people to exterminate everyone of those critters they see. I don't think we have any such restriction in Texas like feral hogs are any time by any means.
BB
Old March 9, 2010, 09:55 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Those $26 dollar permits allow access to the 'glades where they are prevalent.

Also included are various monitor lizards too.

Hurricane Andrew is to blame for much of this. Far more of these invasive species got loose when distributor's and dealer's buildings were destroyed, thus compromising the cages of these critters.
Brent
Old March 9, 2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Scrapperz

The only way I would consider hunting large snakes is if they paid me. You will never find me paying someone else to hunt these sort of things.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:45 AM   #12
spacecoast

Does anyone have a map showing the open/closed areas? How far north have they spread?
Old March 9, 2010, 11:24 AM   #13
skydiver3346

How far north have they spread?

Well, it depends on where they were "released" but most of the constrictors seem to thrive in the Everglades type of environment (south Florida)where temps are better suited for them to live year round. However, they have found some of them in north Florida areas every now and then (when people release them because they are grow too big to keep in home, etc).
But doubt they can reproduce and survive in the wild with the colder temps we have been experienced lately.

However, just thought about this: Alligators do and they are found all the way up into parts of South Carolina.......
Old March 9, 2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Pahoo

Greed has always been a great motivator and one solution might be to open up a Yuppie restaurant and bar, featuring Pyton Bites, like Sushi, with wines and cheese. Once this catches on, the problems will be resolved.

I have eaten more than one variety of snake and it's okay ?? ..
And yes, depending on how it's fixed, it really does taste like chicken. I like the way they fix it in Texas and Oklahoma.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 9, 2010, 01:00 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Nonnative_ROC.htm
From here you can see all the ROC info...
Brent
Old March 9, 2010, 01:18 PM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
with a nasty invasive species like that I would have figured it would be open season 24/7/365, no license required.
Unfortunately, THAT makes too much SENSE, something our leaders in the Gunshine State seem to be lacking lately................

IMO, ANY and ALL invasive species should have a completely open season with no limits
Old March 9, 2010, 04:02 PM   #17
elrod

Man, that sounds like fun........but ho'ya gonna cook'em? Fry 'em or BBQ 'em?
Old March 9, 2010, 04:19 PM   #18
orangello

I have had a few reptile pets. The largest was a Burmese python named Speck; Speck was about 8.5 feet long when i sold him to someone with more time & room for him. When Speck was smaller, he accidentally tried to eat my arm rather than the gigormous rat i was dangling for him. I was unable to dislodge his mouth from my hand (up to the wrist, full arm wrap) with my other arm, and the arm he was attached to was asleep pretty quickly. I was only able to remove him safely by putting the affected/partially ingested arm in the freezer (after notifying a friend to call the paramedics if i didn't notify the friend of my success in removing the reptile within 30 minutes). Speck was a good pet who made a mistake, IMO. Speck did exibit some hunting-type activity that was fairly spooky, though, and he was VERY hard to spot or find if he wasn't mobile. I seriously considered limiting him to his enclosure after he dropped onto my shoulders from a doorframe, unexpectedly is an understatement.

There would have to be a pretty good bounty on them to get me to hunt similar snakes. In daylight, with strong-armed & well-armed close friends, with a trained & large-framed dog, with a 12 guage pump and backup pistol and probably an adult diaper, and probably after being convinced by a beautiful woman, i would consider it.
Old March 9, 2010, 06:26 PM   #19
waterfowler

You have to buy a license? Last I heard Fl was over run with python and they wanted them out. I guess if the state can make a buck, they will
Old March 9, 2010, 06:41 PM   #20
Scrapperz

Says licensed Hunters
http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Nonnative_ROC.htm
Quote:
For Hunters

Licensed hunters can remove pythons from Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA, Rotenberger WMA and Holey Land WMA during established hunting seasons on these areas. The regular hunting season ends on these areas on March 7 (end of the small game season). To extend the opportunity to take pythons by properly licensed and permitted persons, a special season has been established that runs from March 8 until April 17. To participate in removing pythons during established hunting seasons, a hunting license and wildlife management area permit are required by state rule and statute.
and the permit is for:
Seems to me it's for extending the hunt time.
http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_Pythons.htm
Quote:
The FWC reminds hunters they may continue to take Burmese pythons and all other reptiles of concern within three South Florida wildlife management areas (WMAs).

An FWC executive order effectively gives all persons with a hunting license and a $26 management area permit the authority to harvest pythons and other reptiles of concern (Indian python, reticulated python, northern and southern African rock python, amethystine or scrub python, green anaconda and Nile monitor lizard) on Everglades and Francis S. Taylor, Holey Land and Rotenberger WMAs from now through April 17 between one-half hour before sunrise and one-half hour after sunset.
Am I correct? Correct me if I'm not.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Big Bill

Quote:
Sorry. I'm one who believes the world would be a far better place if all politicians, lawyers and actors were rounded up and shipped to Antarctica.
Then all the hot air would melt the ice cap and we'd all drown.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 9, 2010, 07:39 PM   #22
87mustang

what do you do with a python after you kill it? i from ohio so i am not too familiar with pythons
Old March 9, 2010, 07:39 PM   #23
americanworkmule

I'll safely... put my wife's chihuahuha out as bait.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:50 PM   #24
Howard31

FL Snake Hunt

It's not a gun hunt.Permits are given to certain herpitologists who capture the snakes and then they are euthanized.It sounds stupid,if they want to get rid of these snakes just let hunters and fisherman cap em when they see them.
Old March 9, 2010, 09:29 PM   #25
highvel

Darn, I was going to talk the " OL" Lady into a Florida hunting vacation. Here baby hold this chicken, I'll be right back

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Closed Thread