The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Auto5

.22 revolver recommendations?

I'm in the market for a kit gun sized .22 revolver in the sub $500 price range. In the past, I've owned a Ruger Super Single Six and a Smith Model 63, both of which I regret parting with. I'm considering a Bearcat, especially that bird's head grip model, but I wouldn't mind a double action. The Taurus 94 looks nice, but I'm put off by the reviews. The Smiths seem a little out of my price range and the used ones aren't much cheaper. Any other suggestions?
Old January 4, 2014, 11:03 PM   #2
mj246

This is exactly the boat I was in a couple of years ago. For under $500, you have very little in the way of good choices. S&W and Ruger DA will both be out of your price range unless you find a great deal on a used one.

Taurus 94 has earned it's bad reviews. I'm not a full-fledged Taurus hater, but the trigger on the 94/941 are the worst DA revolver triggers I have ever felt in my life.

For the money and purpose stated (Current Production/NIB), I think your best bets would be either a Ruger Bearcat or Single-six/Single 10 for SA (the main difference is the bearcat is literally tiny, and a little hard to grip for some with larger hands, while the single six/ten is only slightly smaller than an SAA or clone)

OR for DA, I would suggest a Charter Pathfinder. I took a chance on one and it has given me no serious issues in over 500 rds so far. It makes a great kit gun with a 4" barrel and can be shot on a regular basis for practice. The trigger is not as good as S&W or Ruger, but miles ahead of the Taurus 94.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the slightest with any of these three revolvers.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
weblance

If your budget is truly Sub $500, and you want DA, then there isnt much that is good, but the Charter Arms Pathfinder IS a great choice. They are available with 2", 4", and 5" barrels. I have the new 8 shot, 2" and find it to be a great little revolver. I would have no issues recommending one to someone looking for a value priced 22 revolver. IF you can step up in price, just a bit, the new 8 shot Ruger SP101-22 is another good choice. It is a beautiful revolver, and mine has been excellent. For the money though, the Pathfinder is probably the best value.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:12 PM   #4
oldcabin

I am hoping for a 2" SP101 22 maybe even a. 22lr/22m this year. Ruger LCRX 22. I'm hoping there will be info after the shot show.
Glock made a single stack 380. Anything is possible right??
The taurus is out for me because of almost every review. The smith 317 is hard to find. Charter arms maybe, I haven't seen the 8 shot.
Old January 5, 2014, 03:14 PM   #5
wnycollector

I love my 4" Rossi R98 Plinker. I have had it for a year and put ~3K trouble gree rounds through it. For $325 it is a steal for a NIB DA 22 revolver.
Old January 5, 2014, 06:02 PM   #6
bbqbob51

This is a generalization but for my money I think the gold standard in double action are Smith and Wesson but you WILL pay for it. I think Ruger is the choice for single action revolvers and you can get a Single Six in your price range. Ruger's DA SP101 in 22lr can be had for just a bit north of $500.
As already suggested, in the more budget price range and still American made is the Charter Arms Pathfinder. I was in the market for a 22lr double action revolver this past year and decided not to settle and saved my money for a beautiful S&W 10 shot 6" barreled model 617.
I know that Taurus has their detractors but the model 992 convertible has gotten good reviews (I know that most gun rag reviewers never saw a gun they didn't like) here is G&A magazine's review:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/t...el-992-review/
The advantage of the 992 is you can shoot both 22lr/2mag out of it.
Old January 5, 2014, 06:23 PM   #7
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcabin
I am hoping for a 2" SP101 22 maybe even a. 22lr/22m this year. Ruger LCRX 22. I'm hoping there will be info after the shot show.
Glock made a single stack 380. Anything is possible right??
The taurus is out for me because of almost every review. The smith 317 is hard to find. Charter arms maybe, I haven't seen the 8 shot.
I will be picking up a 4", or 5" 8 shot when they become available...

Old January 6, 2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Obambulate

I tend to think that if you settle for less than a S&W you will still want one. Not that there aren't decent guns for under $500, just that for $700 you can get the S&W and avoid the nagging regrets.
Old January 7, 2014, 12:02 AM   #9
22-rimfire

A 4" S&W Model 18 (4") would be great. Even used, the price will be over $500 for one in excellent conditon. I believe I paid about $500 four or five years ago for a nice one. They tend to be hard to find.

Your best choice is probably the Ruger SP101 (4.3" barrel) for a medium sized DA 22 revolver. I read that Ruger is coming out with an exposed hammer version of the LCR. The 2" barrel might be problematic for anything serious other than plinking. A 3" would be better in my opinion. But I have to admit, I really enjoy shooting my DAO LCR in 22LR. I just don't do much serious shooting with it.

This kind of decision is faced by every new buyer seeking an inexpensive DA 22 revolver. Yes, you have Taurus and Charter Arms choices available. I have read good things about the Charter Arms Pathfinder but have no experience. I tend to just bite the bullet and somehow buy exactly the revolver I actually want and accept no substitutes.
Old January 7, 2014, 08:11 AM   #10
sandbag

22 Revolver

S&W Model 63 Kit Gun stainless is a great little gun and I wouldn't part with mine-how about a used High Standard Sentinel or Double Nine?Their Kit Gun was awful,surprisingly as they made superb semi autos.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:51 AM   #11
aarondhgraham

I'll second the Charter Arms Pathfinder,,,

I'll second the Charter Arms Pathfinder,,,
It's almost identical in size to a S&W J-frame revolver.

Here it is next to a S&W Model 34 J-frame.

I bought mine new less than a year ago,,,
Mine has been a decent performer,,,
Accuracy is good at 25 yards.

The trigger was just a bit gritty,,,
But some .22 snap-caps and lots of dry firing is curing that.

The only real gripe I have is the front sight,,,
It's the brushed stainless finish and tends to disappear.

A bit of orange sight paint improved it's visibility.

It ain't a Smith,,,
But it's close enough at the price.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 7, 2014, 09:24 PM   #12
Rogervzv

I really like the Ruger SP101 .22LR. This is a very versatile and handy little DA revolver. These can be had for about $549 here in Democrat-occupied California, so pretty close to the OP's criteria. The trigger is smooth albeit pretty heavy. I shoot mine double-action quite well, notwithstanding the somewhat heavy trigger pull.

If you want a SA, of course there is no substitute for the Ruger Single Six:
Old January 8, 2014, 10:59 PM   #13
ejhc11

Keep looking - I found this one for $475, a pre-lock S&W 63-3 6 shot 22LR. I'm pretty happy - I like the SA/DA and swing out cylinder over the single shot Rugers which I was considering because of the price like you.

Old January 9, 2014, 12:22 AM   #14
rclark

Certainly, can't go wrong with another Single-Six. . I know I will not part with mine. Tune up the gun, and it can be very slick shooting revolver. Obviously, we all have our personal opinions though.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 10, 2014, 05:35 AM   #15
b.thomas

Only .22's I can recommend are the ones I've owned................Ruger single six I had for 25 years and like a damn fool sold.
Smith and Wesson 617 that I have had for nearly 25 years and will never sell.

*current crop of .22's.........I'd look at the new Ruger.
Old January 10, 2014, 07:48 AM   #16
Erno86

I would suggest putting out more bucks, and invest in a S&W or a Ruger Single Six Hunter, that comes with scope mounts and a extra 22 mag. cylinder.
I own a Ruger Hunter myself...that's topped off with a Nikon 3X scope; and it is accurate to boot. The Ruger Repair Shop is top notch in my book.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; January 10, 2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:37 PM   #17
lwb

I have a Taurus 94 snubby that I love,I also have three other Taurus and have never had a problem with any of them.My biggest deer to date was with my taurus model 66 with a 6 in. barrel 357 mag. 185 lb. 8 point.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:12 AM   #18
CajunBass

I had an older Taurus 94 (Mid 90's) that was a first class gun.

I also had a High Standard Sentinel that I wish I hadn't sold. I might keep my eye out for another one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 14, 2014, 11:37 AM   #19
Colt46

I'd avoid the Taurus 94

I have one from the early nineties and it's my least favorite gun. Ever.
The trigger pull is horrendous. Lightening the pull seems to cause problems with proper primer ignition.
Old January 14, 2014, 04:38 PM   #20
BWM

S&W 19 or a Taurus Ruger
Old January 15, 2014, 01:33 PM   #21
bikerbill

I don't shoot .22lr much, but I love my Ruger LCR in .22WMR .. easy to shoot, accurate, light enough to slip in a pocket ... great gun ...
Old January 16, 2014, 02:48 AM   #22
weblance

What the Hell is a Taurus Ruger?
Old January 16, 2014, 03:40 PM   #23
aarondhgraham

There aren't that many options in new DA/SA .22's,,,

In new DA/SA .22 revolvers there are:
  • Taurus 94,,,
  • Ruger SP-101,,,
  • Rossi R-98 Plinker,,,
  • Charter Arms Pathfinder,,,
  • S&W Models 317, 317 Kit Gun, 617, & 63.
There is an import made by Czechpoint,,,
But I have heard nothing good about their guns.

In DA only there are:
  • Ruger LCR,,,
  • S&W 43C.
Are there any others out there that I have missed?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 16, 2014, 03:51 PM   #24
south_ridge

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I ordered a Smith model 63, which still hasn't arrived yet. I've also had no luck finding a decently-priced used J-frame S&W .22.

In the interim, I bought a Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper. I really like that little gun. It's very small, so it took some getting used to. And the fixed sights were off a bit so I had to shoot the gun a while to figure out a proper hold. But now I can shoot a 1.5" (or so) group at 10 yards. I'm not squirrel hunting with it, so that's good enough for me. It also fits really well into a tiny pocket in my hunting backpack. I have ordered a custom holster as well.

My other .22 revolver is a 4" k-22 manufactured in the early 50s. THAT is the .22 I use when I really want to hit something.

I had a stainless Single Six once upon a time. And even though I like Ruger stuff, I ended up selling that gun. It was just too big and heavy for what I wanted to do with it. I'm not really a range guy - more of a hiker and hunter. So I tend to like lighter guns.

SR
Old January 19, 2014, 07:08 PM   #25
FilthyHarry

Taurus model 94

I say take a look at a Taurus. Handle it. With proper cleaning and lubing and dry firing, manipulating... It turns into a great little pistol.