The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2011, 08:51 PM   #51
shortwave

cornbush,

That dog owner would have been paying me for a calf and any vet bills I might have incurred with the cow.

One thing I've learned is if you get in a moronic dog owner's pocket such as the one laughing about his dog attacking livestock, even if he gets another dog he'll usually keep it at home.

Granted, the best of trained dogs can/sometimes will leave their compound. If I see my neighbors dog chasing my livestock, I'll do my best to stop him or catch him and take him home. The owner and I are going to have a hopefully peaceful talk about dogs running livestock. I and my livestock won't take a steady diet of this and if the dogs got a hold of a cow then he won't get a second chance. If I don't recognize the aggressively chasing dog, well he doesn't get a second chance either.

If my dog is chasing neighbors livestock, I can't be mad if the dog is shot.

I live in the middle of the woods and the yard is about 5acres. The shephard we have doesn't care for other dogs except our pomeranian. She rules the roost..

The shephard stays mostly in the house unless he's out with me in the yard. If I let him out to do his business he goes no further than 5-10ft into the woods, does his business , returns to the deck and will sit by the front door till he's let in. He will NOT leave that deck. But just in case he would, he wears a shock collar. The collar has a vibrate/shock mode in which if you want to get his attention you hit the vibrate mode and if he's getting into trouble you can hit the shock mode. Distance on the collar is either 3 or 5mi. Can't remember which.
I've spent alot of time and $'s training him to stay at his own home. He's become part of the family. I don't want strays here passing Parvo and such to my animals. I don't want vet bills when a stray comes in the yard and my dog does his job of protecting his home. I don't want to go out in my yard and step in a present a stray has left, I wouldn't have spent the time training mine to go in the woods.

Again,

If
Quote:
We took care of our pets and didn't worry about others
this thread wouldn't exist.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:45 AM   #52
Deerhunter

My buddies uncle owned a small farm. People always dropped off cats there. One of the deals was that we could hunt the whole property as long as we shot every cat we saw.

I now have a couple running in my neighborhood. Seems like it is time to get a new pellet rifle. How come you have to have your dog on a leash or in a fenced yard and registered but you can let your cats run free. People should not be allowed to let their cats run outside free. Fine if they do as long as they don't come into my yard.

I hate cats. My finance has one. I hate the thing. It decided to start peeing in my bar room. I told her it would have to go if she didn't fix it. We got these 9volt battery operated electric shock mats for the floor. Man that cat wont go near them things. I turned on one high and put him on it so he got the idea and he about went through the ceiling.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:51 AM   #53
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
How come you have to have your dog on a leash or in a fenced yard and registered but you can let your cats run free. People should not be allowed to let their cats run outside free.
I don't know if it is a state law or just by local jurisdiction but I know of no place in florida where it is legal to allow cats to run free.

But I do know that there is NO enforcement in any area I have lived. Many locales will put out live traps or loan them to you but they come pick up the stray and stick it in a pound so we can spend the $25 per day in expenses.

Brent
Old April 1, 2011, 11:54 AM   #54
egor20

Deerhunter

I own a small farm in Northern Virginia, don't shoot at my cats please, they work for a living.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 1, 2011, 11:56 AM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
don't shoot at my cats please, they work for a living.
But then the shooter would be trespassin'...

Brent
Old April 1, 2011, 12:03 PM   #56
Deerhunter

I live in a neighborhood, not out in the country. I have a whole 1/3 of an acre. I have no problem shooting a cat that keeps hanging on my property.

I had a rabbit when I was a kid and my sister had them a few years later that the cats would get after. This was up in PA. I put a BB or pellet in every cat I saw in my parent's yard.

If you don't want me shooting your pet cat keep the thing in the house where it belongs. If you want to take it outside put it on a leash. Trust me my fiancee does in the summer with her cat.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:04 PM   #57
egor20

hogdogs

Was just joking with Deerhunter, but yeh, trespass, and the cats might just figure out how to use the scoped Galil in my safe.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 1, 2011, 02:55 PM   #58
markj

Cats just dont care who owns the land they walk on, well cept for the ones in my area, cross my land them dogs get free meat.
Old April 2, 2011, 01:37 PM   #59
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This thread sorta looks like it has run its course.

Don't despair; the subject will undoubtedly reappear...

Closed Thread