The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2001, 03:21 PM   #1
ursus

I came across some pulled 3006 and 308 pulled bullet heads from GI assembled bullets. Can these be reloaded with standard components and powder? Is the phosphorus still in the tail of the bullet head? If so, will shooting these rounds cause damage to bores?
Thanks for your time
Old January 11, 2001, 05:28 PM   #2
Cheapo

The longer bearing surface compared to other bullets of similar weight *may* require a small reduction in powder charge as compared to maximum loads with "ball" bullets of similar weight.

IIRC, the copper cup in the base is supposed to keep all of the flammable stuff out of your bore. I don't fully trust that and included a couple of wet patches in my cleaning routine when I popped off a few of those a few years ago.

And yes, standard powder and primer and cases, etc. are all appropriate.

Enjoy, and watch out for the fire hazard.
Old January 11, 2001, 07:09 PM   #3
beemerb

I just checked cartridges of the world for the military loading data.The charges for tracer and ball are exactly the same.Same powder and amount.
Have fun
Old January 11, 2001, 07:36 PM   #4
HankL

As far as the trace being more corrosive, unless the projectile has been damaged in some way during the pulling, packing process you should not have any problems.

As far as the fire hazard warning Cheapo gave Be Warned A Tracer Hitting Dry Flamables Before It Is Spent WILL Start A Fire!
Old January 11, 2001, 10:15 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I used to buy 30-06 ball way back in 1963 for $3.95 a hundred from Sears. It came packed in 20 round boxes, and was all WWII surplus. Sometimes on opening a box there would be a suprise, as in there may be one or two AP, API, or tracer. The primers were corrosive to begin with so the proper cleaning for corrosive ammo took care of any problems with the tracer. I got 100 of just the bullets a few months back and loaded them with 47 grains of non-canister 4895 in the 06, and they work like a charm! Pretty hard to start a fire here in the Atchafalaya River Basin Swamp!