The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Dre

Browning Citori XS Skeet

When I shake it, I can hear moving sound/noise inside of the trigger mechanism...Is it normal?

Last edited by Dre; December 22, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Waterengineer

Ah, no, that s not normal.

BigJim will be along any moment to help. Also, you might PM him.

I will speculate a broken spring/sear/firing pin.
Old December 22, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3
BigJimP

No, its not normal - but it could be any number of things... even a loose stock bolt...

Remove the adj comb ( after you mark the setting with a perm pen - the best you can on the post ) - so you can reinstall it exactly where you want it. (note: I put some washers or spacers under my comb once I have it where I want it / so I can take it off and on / and get it right back on where I want it ).

Remove the recoil pad ( screws are in small slits on each end of face of the pad / and they should be a small phillips size.

The stock bolt is down inside the stock / and you should have gotten a long allen wrench to do this in the box. If your gun does not have an adj comb - the the bolt has a single slot screw head on the bolt and you'll need a long screw driver.

Don't get too aggressive taking it off / it may be lock-tighted down. Hang onto the receiver solidly - and just be patient. If the bolt is loose / snug it up and see if that stops the rattle. ( but as you take off the recoil pad - shake the stock, maybe there is something inside the stock ?? ) .

If there is something in the action broken ( spring, etc ) you'll need to go see a gunsmith / or get some parts ....and I don't recall if you bought the gun used or not / but used or new - I'd always take the stock off the gun anyway ( just to clean it out and inspect it ) but if it was used, inspect the firing pins and springs. I usually put some Danish Oil finish on the "unfinished areas of the stock" to give them a little bit of protection ( inside the forend too ).

Before I re-assemble - I use a little light oil ( spray Rig oil ) on the springs, pins, etc in the receiver. Don't overtighten the stock bolt / just snug it up. Even in your dry climate / I would still take the stock off all my O/U's every 6 months for cleaning and inspection ... ( its a good rainy day job ....). It only takes about 30 min per gun / so no big deal after you've done it once or twice.

Hopefully its just something easy for you / keep us posted....
Old December 22, 2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Dre

I bought this gun a month ago (brand new)... I've use it 3 times and it is in workable condition (I think, it was last Thursday), the stock looks like not loose at all, but something makes noise inside...should I call Browning? or should I ask guys in my club first to take a look?

p.s. it is not adjustable comb...
Old December 22, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Waterengineer

If you are uncomfortable taking it apart any good smithy, in your area, will do. I suggest not sending it back to Browning - if you do you will not see it for a while - and I am being kind.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:52 PM   #6
BigJimP

Talk to some of the guys at your club that have some experience with this gun / and with taking a stock off this gun - get their input first.

But I would take the stock off first - or talk to your local dealer where you bought it and see if they want to do it ( but I know I'm careful / and I've taken stocks off of XS Skeet models dozens of times ...) and some dealers aren't that careful ... ( make sure they lay it down on a towel, etc ) so it doesn't get all scratched up...

Since its under warranty / if you can - you need to figure out what is loose or broken and rattling - before you send it to Browning because honestly, it might be 8 or 10 weeks before you get it back .... If its a major item that is broken, I would send it back to Browning or at least talk to them ...find out if you can have a local gunsmith do the work ...

I don't want you to give up on this gun / I have 5 of the XS Skeet models ( 12's, 20, 28ga and a .410 ) - and I've never had a spring or anything else break / in many thousands of shells thru my guns .... ( and I have several other models of Browning O/U's - XT's, Lightning, etc - and none of those guns / new and used have ever had a broken part on them ).... In my experience what you're experiencing is unusual - but you still need to fgure out what the issue is ??

I see dozens of the XS Skeet models at Skeet and Sporting Clays shoots in my area - and I can't say I've ever heard of any issues with this gun / other than wearing out firing pins ..... so I'm just saying, don't sour on this gun .... hopefully, whatever it is, is a quick and easy fix...

Last edited by BigJimP; December 22, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old December 22, 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Dre

I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse, do you think they can help me?
Old December 22, 2009, 08:58 PM   #8
JWT

Sportsmans Warehouse will send it back to Browning. Never been in one that had a smith and their typical paperwork when you buy a gun from them is that they don't guarantee them, the manufacture does, but that they - Sportsmans - will send them back to the manufacture if you have a problem. (Don't remember how long they will do that after you buy a gun).

Browning will take care of it for you but as BigJimP says, don't expect to get it back in a hurry. I took them almost 6 months to replace a cracked forearm on a BT99 I sent to them (did an excellent job and covered it under warranty).

If you can get a line on a good smith have him take a look at it and at least give you an opinion what's wrong before sending it to Browning.
Old December 22, 2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Couzin

Well - your post peaked my curiosity. I pulled my XS (2002 - thousands of rounds) and shook it. There was the tiniest little clicking/rattle coming from the receiver and I had to get real close to hear it. Took off the barrels, same clicking, reinstalled the barrels and listened with firing pins set and then pulled - same clicking. Never really heard it before (or at least, paid any attention to it), and I had to shake the snot out of it to get the rattle. So - now I am really curious - pulled another older Citori Lightning out and shook it - same little rattle (has unknown number of rounds and still goes bang everytime). I suspect you might be hearing normal sounds coming from your gun.
Old December 22, 2009, 11:03 PM   #10
olddrum1

If you have had this gun for a short period of time and it’s still under warranty it would behoove you not to disassemble it in that you may void any warranty you may have.
Old December 22, 2009, 11:11 PM   #11
olddrum1

Before you do anything you might give the folks in Arnold Missouri a call and see what they have to say.

Browning Service Department
One Browning Place
Arnold, Missouri 63010-9406
1-800-322-4626
Old December 22, 2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Dre

I will go shooting on Thursday to check it out and see if its working or not...when I dryfire it looks like everything is fine. Maybe that clicking sound is normal???

p.s. Do you guys know what's the warranty on the new Citori? How long?

Last edited by Dre; December 23, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:30 AM   #13
Couzin

If you are dryfiring - make sure you have a good set of snapcaps in the gun.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:30 AM   #14
BigJimP

I would not take it back to Sportsman's warehouse.

Just for the heck of it, I took 2 of my XS Skeet's out of the safe yesterday - and shook them, with pins cocked and pins fired - not a sound is coming out of the gun.

I wonder if its the barrel selector .... but mine don't rattle either ....

I don't know what the warranty is / but the owner's manual or their website will tell you. But don't be afraid to pull the stock off that gun either / its really easy. Just get a long screwdriver - like 12" or so .....
Old December 23, 2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Dre

I just called these guys: Bain & Davis Sptg Gds
307 E Valley Blvd
San Gabriel CA, 91776
626-573-4241

The guy was so nice and he went and checked the citori they have in shop and he said it is OK, there is a moving part inside that resets the trigger after first shot...he said to try it out and if it is working then don't worry about that noice.

p.s. the warranty on Browning firearms 2 years...

p.s.s. can't wait to try it out tomorrow...hopefully everything is fine.
Old December 23, 2009, 03:55 PM   #16
BigJimP

ok ......

let us know how it goes .....
Old December 23, 2009, 04:05 PM   #17
oneounceload

Funny - I just shot my Ultra XS and my GTI over the last few days - no rattling, noise, etc.......

I'm confused on this one -it shouldn't rattle to reset triggers.......
Old December 23, 2009, 07:20 PM   #18
Dre

I just came back from the gunsmith, he said nothing wrong with it. It only does it when trigger cocked...when he released the trigger - no more noice. It's weird because I've tried cocked/uncocked trigger at home and the noice was there...I'll let you guys know tomorrow after I go shooting. I also will take the stock off probably this weekend just to double check and/or clean if needed.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:32 PM   #19
BigJimP

My newest XS Skeet model - is probably 5 yrs old now .....and I don't know about your guns OneOunce ...but I wonder if they have changed something and Browning isn't telling us ......
Old December 23, 2009, 07:40 PM   #20
oneounceload

Jim - my Gti is 1994 or so, and my XS is maybe 1998 at the latest, so maybe they DID change something - but I have friends with fairly new 625's that don't make noise so I'm befused and confuddled on this one
Old December 25, 2009, 01:08 AM   #21
Dre

I went shooting today, shoot 125 shells without problem (everything was working flawlessly). My scores went up since last Thursday (average 23 out of 25) I was hoping to hit 25 strait...next time hopefully. The noise is still there, but shotgun is working...so I assume they change something inside.

p.s. I bought extended Diana chocks and they look/work nice - little bit tighter I think (more smoked targets).
Old December 26, 2009, 11:55 AM   #22
BigJimP

Good, glad to hear it .......

and not to sound like a broken record ...but I'd still take the stock off even though its a new gun . Have a good week.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:48 PM   #23
Dre

I've met a gunsmith today at our club, so nothing is wrong with my shotgun. There is a moving part inside the receiver which prevent from double shooting...I still will take the stock out some day.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:37 PM   #24
BigJimP

Good, keep us posted on your progress.