The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 19, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
cdc2008

Do it yourself Pronghorns

I have always wanted to hunt pronghorns and I would like to pursue this adventure this coming summer. I know I'm getting started a little late, however it is what it is. I regularly hunt Whitetails and Turkeys here in North East Ohio. After talking with some friends that have made the trek west I am trying to find some information or maybe a couple good starting points for me to be able to do a self guided trip.

I am not partial to a state, preferably one that is more suitable to a non-resident. I don't want to sound like a lazy person looking for all the answers, just hoping to either get some good information or build a good friendship with someone on the other side of the Mississippi. I have great access to some Ohio Whitetail country.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Daryl

Arizona is something like 87% public land, with lots of places to hunt.

The problem with hunting antelope here is drawing a tag. I've drawn one, and only one, and I've been applying since I was about 14 years old (I'm 43).

Also, the drawing has already been done for next fall's hunts.

Here's Arizona's G&F Dept's website:

http://www.azgfd.com/

Wyoming is probably your best bet for getting a tag. Look at their regs online, and make a call or two to their Game & Fish Dept to find out what it takes.

ETA-here's a link to Wyoming's G&F Dept:

http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/index.asp

Doe tags aren't oo hard to get in Colorado, but the date for applying for a tag for next year has passed, I think.

New Mexico might have tags available from ranchers, but they aren't cheap.

Daryl
Old May 20, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3
cdc2008

Yea looks like I'm behind the eight-ball for this season, did some research last night and without paying for a fully guided hunt I probably won't be going for antelope this year.

Thanks for the information.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:25 PM   #4
NRA4life

Montana applications are due June 1st (postmarked I believe). MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE PREFERENCE POINT, or you'll never get drawn. If you apply and get drawn, PM me. I can point you to some pretty decent territory.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Crankylove

Wyoming. At least half of my family that has put in for the draw in Wyoming has gotten thier tags for about the last 15 years. I am at about 70% for my draw rate, my younger brother is 100% for the draw. Non-resident Doe tags are $48, Bucks are about $285. The entry deadline is march 15th though, so it is too late to put in for one this year. However, any tags leftover after the draw may be purchased over the counter, so you could still get one. While I would love to hunt speed goats in my home state, the 13 year wait to draw one is not really appealing to me.