The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 28, 2015, 01:11 PM   #1
precision_shooter

Savage 12 LRP - Range Report

Finally got my "new" Savage out to the range.
Weather was a comfortable 82 degrees with 0 wind. Only ranges close to me have a max distance of 100 yds. Shot 3 shots at 25yds, then headed over to the 100yd line.

Setup:
Savage 12 Long Range Precision
6.5 Creedmoor
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MIL/MIL (SFP)
Harris BR Bipod
Rear Bag
Trigger pull weight is set at about 1.25 lbs.
Shooting factory Hornady 120gr and 140gr AMAX.

120 AMAX

140 AMAX

I did not do as well with the 140's as I did with the 120's, but I know the rifle is capable of better accuracy than I shot. Next up will be to try to stretch her legs a little and do some shooting at longer distances.

The rifle functioned flawlessly and was a joy to shoot. Very little recoil thanks to the heavy weight of the rifle. Overall, i'm pleased with the first outing.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 28, 2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Rob62

Thanks for sharing.

Nice set up.

Is that an I Phone ballistic program you are using ? Which one ?

Regards,

Rob
Old June 28, 2015, 02:18 PM   #3
precision_shooter

Yep, it's an iPhone app called Ballistic.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 28, 2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Rancid

I found the same thing with my Wby Vanguard. It shoots 120 AMAX better than the 140's. Less than 1 MOA out to 900 yards.

I really enjoy shooting this caliber.
Old June 29, 2015, 11:19 AM   #5
tobnpr

These rifles are known to be 1000 yard capable contenders right out of the box, with the Hornady ammo. Impressive stuff for a rifle with a street price of about a grand.

I've been waiting for MONTHS now, for their release of the 112 Magnum Target in .338 Lapua. Got everything to load for it, now just waiting for the rifle...

Savages may not be great on looks- but no one can argue with the fact that they shoot out-of-the-box.

Nice setup.
www.biggorillagunworks.com