The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 1, 2010, 04:53 PM   #1
6onthehip

any 686 3" owners in here?

i've been looking for one and was wondering if any of you guys owned one - especially the U.S. Customs model - any pics?? or thoughts about this pistol?

thanks in advance
Old April 1, 2010, 05:47 PM   #2
operator0

I own a a 7 shot model. I haven't carried it yet, mostly because I can't find a holster, that's not custom made, for any 686 with less than a 4" barrel. I guess I'm gonna have to put out the coin for a Milt Sparks or something.

As for the gun itself, it's a dream to shoot and the trigger's like butter. I haven't really noticed the shorter sight radius. All in all, it's my favorite handgun out of the three I own (M57, M640).

If you like S&W revolvers, I can't really think of a good reason not to get one except maybe it's a little over priced. But all S&W are like that I guess. Also, being color blind, the red insert on the front blade doesn't really work well for me. I use finger nail polish to brighten it up a bit.
Old April 1, 2010, 06:15 PM   #3
6onthehip

re

so yours is a late 90's model? 7 shot
i've been looking for late 80's early 90's model like the CS1 but have never seen one in person - not sure how many they made in 3" but i want one
i have snubs and 4" but want this .357 to round out the stable
thanks for the input on function - i've heard mostly good things

i did find this "The Customs Service guns (about 3500 3 inch) 1500 were destroyed by Janet Reno when the agency switched to Sig. "

no wonder its hard to find - stoopid beiotch

Last edited by 6onthehip; April 1, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old April 1, 2010, 07:58 PM   #4
The_Vigilante

Yea, I have the 686 CS1 3" model which I found on Gunbroker about 1 1/2 years ago. Has the nicest trigger job I have ever seen-don't know if they come that way or whether someone had it done. I am having it fitted with new sights right now and plan on using it in IDPA-SSR. Here are some photos I took. No, it's not for sale-at least not right now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W 686-0 CS1 .357 Magnum 001.JPG (101.0 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 686-0 CS1 .357 Magnum 003.JPG (112.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 686-0 CS1 .357 Magnum 004.JPG (101.1 KB, 100 views)
Old April 2, 2010, 01:01 PM   #5
6onthehip

re

Wow vig !! that is exactly what i'm looking for - don't blame you for not selling her - i would'nt either - she sure is nice though

ima keep looking - going up to daytona tonight to my shop and put the word out - maybe i'll get lucky

trigger might just be stock - some of my smiths feel like they have been worked but my smith says no just broke in good

thats definitely the .357 i want
Old April 2, 2010, 01:19 PM   #6
balin

While mine is not one of the early ones. 686-6+ I have shot and carried it and find it to be a great gun.
Old April 2, 2010, 01:43 PM   #7
The_Vigilante

Here's what I suggest you do. Subscribe to the Smith and Wesson forum and check the Classifieds daily-I have seen several CS1's for sale there in the past. Also check Gunbroker daily-that's where I found mine. Good luck-if you look hard enough you will eventually find one!
Old April 2, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Vilhelm

my current wife owns one of the 7 shot versions

It is accurate and tough.

Great trail/truck gun
Old April 2, 2010, 02:02 PM   #9
KingEdward

yes.

I bought one about 6 mos ago.

love it.

a mainstay for me in the apartment as HD choices go.

also bought 2 of the HKS 7 round speed loaders.
Old April 2, 2010, 03:40 PM   #10
6onthehip

re

yep - check gun broker all the time and guns intl. also but i'm a hands on kinda guy when it comes to wheelies - autos not so much but i need to feel up a revolver good before i buy so i dont do alot of internet buying except for ammo- but thats just me

i appreciate the tips though- i think once i get the word out a little one will turn up-i'm going to hunt around daytona tomorrow and see what i can find - nothing down here in miami - i've been to all the shops and pawns - plus i'm in no hurry until i find a nice one

thanks for the great pics and reviews - you guys sold me pretty good even though i knew that was the 3" that i wanted
Old April 2, 2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Pezo

why dont you just order one or did they stop making them?
Old April 2, 2010, 08:19 PM   #12
MR.G

Had a 686 plus seven shot with a 3" barrel. Sold it to someone who really wanted a three inch, and thought it was worth more than I did. Was a really nice gun. Now the only ones that I have are 4".
Old April 2, 2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Glenn Dee

6onthehip

Hey man... I looked at a 3" 686 6 shot today... wearing some real nice wooden furniture. A shop in Margate has it, and maybe a 3 1/2" also. P/M me and I'll give you the info.
Old April 2, 2010, 10:52 PM   #14
SaberOne

Sorry, couldn’t resist posting to a 686 thread. Mine is a new 2.5” six-shot. Well, it’s a stubby looking thing for sure! In fact, I call him... ‘Fat-Bastard’. As soon as it’s finished being dressed up from the parlor, I’ll post a photo.
Regards,

Last edited by SaberOne; April 4, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old April 4, 2010, 06:00 PM   #15
6onthehip

re

back from daytona - went to every freakin shop up the there - zero,zip,nadda, not a 686 to be found - even at a shop thats specializes in older guns - and guess what else - not a single sp101 in 3" either only snubs - i was disapointed-i thought surely i'd at least come home with some kind of 3" .357 bit not this trip - i did see a few model 60 but all 4" used and only 1 new 3" for $750 out the door so i said no thanks - found a couple of shops i didnt know about and did get a streamlight for my P226 but that was it - sooooo i'm still on the prowl for the elusive 3" pounder...........glen dee pm coming your way...thanks for looking out for me man
Old April 4, 2010, 06:14 PM   #16
Deaf Smith

Got one like Vigilante's to. But mine have S&W wood combat grips. It sleeps in the safe with such as a nickle DS, second gen, Smith M10 made in 1953 5 screw, and others.

I consider it part of my old age retirement fund, and alot more secure than the retirements I have from work.
Old April 4, 2010, 06:17 PM   #17
Delaware_Dan

Are you opposed to a Ruger GP100 3 incher? Those are readily available (in my area at least) and are built like tanks. Not sure about the weight difference though. If the one you are looking at is no longer made, I would whole-heartedly suggest a GP100 3 inch.
Old April 4, 2010, 06:36 PM   #18
6onthehip

re

delaware - although the gp is fine gun and i would have one if were not for the fact that i will sometimes carry the .357 and the sp and 686 are just a little better suited for carry for me - the gp is just a hoss to lug around in south florida in the summer and your right i saw at least 2 in every shop i went in - if it were not for the carry issue i would definitely have one
Old April 4, 2010, 08:13 PM   #19
Delaware_Dan

Diddn't even look at your location. Makes sense.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:09 AM   #20
The_Vigilante

A 686 CS1 4" model was just posted in the S&W Forum classifieds for $650 if you're interested!
Old April 5, 2010, 05:03 PM   #21
6onthehip

re

thanks vig for keeping an eye but i need the 3" - cs1 or national security
Old April 5, 2010, 09:31 PM   #22
The_Vigilante

The 3" CS1's are a little rarer and harder to find. Probably most of the 1500 Reno ordered destroyed were the 3" models. Eventually you will find one. I will let you know if I run across any. Good luck
Old April 5, 2010, 10:28 PM   #23
Glenn Dee

Hey 6Onthehip

Hey buddy... If you dont mind. What daytona shop did you find that specialize in older guns? Was it Hot Shots? I'm up there twice a month... always looking for someplace new to haunt.

Bucks
Florida gun exchange
Glenn's
I cant remember the name of the place on US1 in Ormond.
G.I. Jeffs
Hot Shots
Quite a few good pawn shops that sell firearms

So many Guns... so little time, so little cash.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:30 AM   #24
6onthehip

re

glen,

yup - hot shots had a fair selection of older stuff - he had a 1895 winchester lever action in 7.62 i looked at made for the russians but i really wanted the 405 in that rifle

im up there once a month myself and you have hit all the best places with that list - there are a couple more i havent been to yet in Deland that i hear are decent

all the places you mention i like and do alot of business with AJ at bucks even though his prices are a little bit high the service is good and they have helped me out alot with perks - the exchange is good also - good staff there

hot shots is still growing it looks like to me but the guys were nice- not many new revolvers though but some cool older pistols - i'll keep you posted what i find on the next trip up in a couple of weeks when i run over to Deland

Vig - yea the CS are getting harder to get but i'll hunt one down just have to be patient - thats really the one i want - just something about that 3" look that gets my hormones in an uproar