The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2002, 12:34 AM   #1
M Jager

Watching the Papers

Just thought I would make a note on a good resource that I doubt most shotgun buys are aware of- you local news paper classifieds. First, its a granted that the paper has to be a fairly large town, the Saterday Reader from Smallville, population 567 probably is not going to do you much good. Second, scanning the classifieds may not be an economical anvantage if you have to actually purchase the papers. 75 cents a day will eat any savings you might pick up PDQ. As a college student I have a wide variety of local, state, and national papers available daily at no charge.
Here is the adds from last Friday out of the paper I normally check.
1. Browning A-5 3 in. Invector Plus. N.I.B. $650
2. Browning BPS Stalker 12 gauge N.I.B. $295
3. Browning 12 gauge pump, 28 in barrel, good condition $150
4. Ithaca mag 10 90% condition $575
5. Win 101 trap 95% $999
6. Ithaca 37 12 gauge - new hastings barrel with case, excellent $300
7. Ithaca 37 20 gauge- NIB $400
8. Ten gauge double barrel- 4 boxes of shells $85
Notice there are some very good deals-
BPS run around 400 new here so 295 is cheap and 150 is a steal.
Ithacas run 500 or better new here and hastings barrels run 200+
And yes the ten gauge is not a misprint at 85 bucks
Then there are the deals that aren't especially great are fair prices.
The better deals require religous checking and quick fingers on the telephone. I missed the BPS for 150 and the ten gauge because I forgot to check the day they first came out. When I called about the 10 gauge the elderly lady hung up before I could get the make model, so while its going to remain unknown I would venture that someone made off with a very sweet deal.
One last note, if you are just looking for one specific gun you could be in for a long wait, but if you have the access and take the time to check every morning you can find some good deals and every once and awhile something really nice pops up.
Happy Shopping
M Jager
Old November 19, 2002, 06:14 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for that, CS. Trouble is, the two major papers here, the B-More Sun and the Washington Pest, are ultra liberal and don't allow gun ads. You live in a more reality oriented area.
Old November 20, 2002, 07:28 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Good thought. In Atlanta and here, there are a couple of local "papers" that are nothing but enourmous want ads. Both carried firearms but you do have to know your market. Several times I've seen guns in the ads that someone is selling for more than one can pay at the store.

It's worth looking at the local stop 'n rob to find one of these papers. Here, the pricees forr an 870 Express run about 195.00 - certainly a savings over Wal-Mart.

Here's a website for those who would like to get more info.

www.carolinatrader.com
Old November 21, 2002, 03:10 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Jager, with that many Ithacas in the paper, you must live in upstate New York
Old November 22, 2002, 12:40 AM   #5
M Jager

Dave- I am sorry to hear that, I fear my paper will not be carrying firearm ads too much longer.
Poodleshooter- Nope, no New York for me. It varies alot weekly, I guess it was just the Ithaca/Browning week. This week there is 2 10/22s, a Rem 700 ADL, a Win 94 410, and some other stuff. Next week who knows........