The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2002, 06:00 PM   #1
PsychoSword

Looking for a good double barrel side by side

I'm willing to pay $600 or less. It doesn't have to be pretty, but I'd like something decent. I don't like cheap guns and I want something reliable. I'd prefer a 10 gauge, but 12 may do. It's going to be a closet gun and occasional plinker. A 20" or so barrel would be optimal. I don't know much of anything about shotguns, so any advice is appreciated.
Old November 15, 2002, 07:48 PM   #2
K80Geoff

In your price range the best bet would be Baikal. Crude but reliable.

There are a number of "coach" guns on the market because of the CAS craze.
Haven't tried any of them myself, can't opine on their quality or usefuleness.
Old November 15, 2002, 08:11 PM   #3
PsychoSword

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really want a double action trigger though, Baikals appear to be double action. The bounty hunter looks like a nice model, but it also seems to have the double action trigger and it is 12 ga. not 10.
Old November 15, 2002, 08:13 PM   #4
PsychoSword

Oops, my mistake, they ARE available in single action....

What is your opinion of New England Firearms or Tristar?
Old November 15, 2002, 10:02 PM   #5
K80Geoff

Double action Trigger???

Do you mean double triggers or a gun with internal hammers???

Double Action and Single Action are not terms used in shotgunning.

Have not shot either of the guns you mentioned.
Old November 16, 2002, 05:44 AM   #6
beetlefang

So you've decided to get a double barrel huh? To start with I'd say...put down the magazines, quit searching the net, stop fondling other peoples shotguns, the elusive grail of a double barrel is just not worth the anguish ...but if you still want a shotgun...

For $600 I'd look into a pump or an automatic. They are much less expensive and very reliable. A gas operated automatic has less recoil, while a pump is like very low maintenance and reliable. For $600 (or a little more) you can get a high quality used (and sometimes new-on sale/rebate etc) automatic, and certainly a new high quality pump. If this is your first shotgun ever, I'd stay away from the Benelli's or other recoil operated guns - they are good (I have one for my son), but they are expensive and kick like a pump, so if you can get a pump for hundreds cheaper, why not go with it...

Back to the doubles....I'm on my third...I've finally decided to just invest in a 'good' gun and see what the fuss is about. I forget the other inexpensive brands that I had in the past...I know one was a stoeger - gave it to my dad..I can't remember the other one. I shot both poorly...it could've been just me...I'm not a great shot, but I'm pretty darn good w/ my beretta.

My quest for a good double is not price...but the fit. If you hold the gun and close your eyes while swinging and then stop at a point and open your eyes to find yourself looking at the same thing the gun is pointing at then you win the poor man's fit contest. So I'd try that before you decided on a brand. I ended up with a browning o/u for about twice the amount you want to spend. They apparently have a good reputation in the clays community and it fits me good - so I bought it. I'll end up getting a sxs eventually too....maybe in a couple of years. Probably an Aya, beretta, or skb/weatherby - depending on fit.

As for your gauge, I'd choose the 12 unless you reload or want to hunt geese or something. 10 gauge shells are high (like 15.00 a box at walmart) and most stores seem to carry a large variety of 12 gauge shells. Cheaper shells mean more shooting, more shooting means more practice, more practice means being able to hit more things on the wing.

-Beetle
Old November 16, 2002, 06:50 AM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

As has been noted, 10 guage ammo and guns are expensive. There is no real gain unless you want to duck/goose hunt. As many waterfowlers and deer hunters as we have here in SC, it's rare to find 10 ga. ammo in any gun store. Most all use 12 ga guns with the really hardcore waterfowlers using the 3.5 inch shells.

There is a Baikal at a locl gunshop that looks pretty nice. Not aa delicate gun, but sturdy and a bit crude.

I'd look for a Stevens 311 first, then consider the Baikal.

I have no experiance with the other two.
Old November 16, 2002, 12:39 PM   #8
1911greg

I have a norinco that I bought for $150 at BIG 5 its pretty cool, I shouldn't have bought it though, no real need for it.
If you want a double I would get one of these really inexpensive ones and then buy a good pump for HD.
Old November 16, 2002, 03:26 PM   #9
PsychoSword

Thanks alot for all of the suggestions! Ammo availability is not an issue as I always buy online, it's much cheaper that way anyways. I think I've found exactly what I want! It's a little pricey though. IAR . Keep in mind as I said this won't be a hunting gun, just for [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s and giggles at the range and closet patrol. I'm trying to find out if they offer one in ten gauge.
Old November 16, 2002, 04:23 PM   #10
OkieCruffler

My vote goes for the Stevens 311, but even tho' I know they made them I have never seen one in 10ga. Perhaps that will be my new quest after I obtain a .410.
Old November 17, 2002, 09:19 PM   #11
huntsman

American Arms used to sell a SxS in 10 or 12 gauge short barreled 20", but I can't remember the model name. I think a used Uggie would work .