The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2002, 11:17 AM   #1
DesertFox5768

Trap shooting

I am gonna ask my father for a trap shooting shotgun for Christmas but am not sure exactly what kind to ask for. All I know for certain is that I don't want a pump and to ask for one above $900 probably wouldn't work. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
Old November 10, 2002, 11:48 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ask 10 trapshooters that question, expect at least 10 opinions.

And why not a pump? My 870 TB is a claycrunching death ray when I do my part.

I'm not enthused about a pure D trap singles gun for starters.While they're reliable and effective, they're a bit specialized. And the good ones are much more than $1K.

Lots of folks get into trap with a field gun, and use it as is or slightly modified.

You may want to try out some semi autos like the 1100 Remington, the Winchester X2s, the various Berettas, and so on. The gas actions cut the kick a bit.

I suggest getting one with choke tubes, for adjusting your pattern for optimum density and spread at the distance you're breaking birds at. Also, a tubed gun can be used for the other clay games, and while I like trap a lot, I've not found a clay game I didn't like.

Trapshooters are a pretty decent lot, tho some grumpy old men are a bit touchy. Ask to handle a few guns and ask their opinions. Since some trapshooters change guns and socks at about the same rate, some good bargains can oft be found through little notes on the bulletin board at a range.

HTH,,,,
Old November 10, 2002, 12:50 PM   #3
AAshooter

For starters I would consider a Remington 1100. It makes it easy for singles or doubles. It works fine for skeet or sporting clays.

As you get more familar and get more serious, you can then decide which shotgun is more appropriate and step up to it. Then you have a fine hunting gun.

I shot trap for about 2 years with a field 870 Wingmaster. After competing in doubles, I knew how to run a pump gun. If you are interested in pump guns, the 870 would not be a bad choice. Personally, for a starter gun, I would not get a trap version of the 870.

After that I bought over and under in trap and sporting clays versions.
Old November 10, 2002, 01:18 PM   #4
Stay Low

Check out the Beratte 391. Great versatile gun, under $800, lots of accessories availbale and they can be tricked out thru companies like Ballistic Specailties in Arkansas to be pretty wicked sporting guns.
Old November 10, 2002, 04:27 PM   #5
Gumbo

I will second the 391. I use my 390 for trap, skeet and sporting clays. They are high quality firearms that can function in a variety of different roles.
Old November 10, 2002, 04:33 PM   #6
bamf

Another vote on the Beretta 390 or 391...Under 900, you're in realm of a nice used O/U, like a Citori or SKB.

Why are you ruling out pumps?
Old November 10, 2002, 05:16 PM   #7
HSMITH

I had to have a trap gun at one time too. I bought one, and it was USELESS for anything but trap. Serious trap guns (non-pump) are well used in your budget range, and are very specialized shotguns. If you are really into trap that is fine, but if you also like to dabble in some of the other shotgun sports and/or hunting a trap gun is a serious disadvantage. On the other hand a sporting gun will handle trap nearly as well, and still work very well for anything else you may want to do. Unless you have a field gun or a sporting gun already I would not recommend a trap gun for the next purchase, of course you could pick up an 870 express and cover all the other bases if you buy a trap gun now.

On a personal note, my best trap scores EVER are with my SuperX2 3.5" complete with sling and mud from the duck blind. This gun has given me more 25s than any other gun I have ever shot. My favorite trap gun though was a 90T, I just don't think it can get any better.
Old November 10, 2002, 06:03 PM   #8
S.F.S

Another Idea...

Wal-Mart has a Beretta 390 for a little over five hundred bucks which ought to be a great shotgun to get into shotgun games with.
And your Dad will have plenty of cash left over to buy you some shells to practice with.

Scott
Old November 13, 2002, 05:05 PM   #9
BigD

Take a look at the Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays as well. As has been stated, a gun specifically designed for Trap is pretty much useless for anything else. Go for a Field or Sporting Clays gun, and you'll be pretty well served.

Read between the lines;
Criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself,
And feel the walls become sand beneath your feet.
--Queensryche--