The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2002, 10:53 PM   #1
Jeff, CA

What is a "shotgun shack"?

Evidently the term really means something - Norm Abram used it on "This Old House" to describe a little house he was renovating in New Orleans.

Old November 7, 2002, 11:49 PM   #2
huntsman

the same as a hunting cabin or shack, is what I always thought.
Old November 8, 2002, 01:44 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

The term "shotgun shack" or "shotgun House" refers to old, cheap houses that had all the exterior and interior doors lined up.
If you opened all the doors, you could "fire a shotgun straight through the house".

In those days, many poor county people in the South, Oklahoma, and Texas lived in "shotgun Houses".
Old November 8, 2002, 05:22 AM   #4
Guyon

Thanks Dfariswheel. I learned something new.
Old November 8, 2002, 10:10 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Dfariswheel, that is what I learned as well. In my travels across the country, I have noticed that there seems to be more older neighborhoods full of these types of houses in the east and south than in the west or northwest. These types of houses were usually long and fairly narrow. The front of the house was on the narrow axis. Most 'shotgun' houses don't have much or any space wasted by hallways. Instead, the house is simply a sequence of rooms connected by doors.
Old November 8, 2002, 10:17 AM   #6
brownlow

Double Naught,

Often, they were just a series of rooms. The only doors were typically the front & the back ones.

There were two ways to view the term "shotgun house".
1) Open the front & back doors and a shotgun shot through them wouldn't hit the house (in one door out the other a la Looney Tunes)
2) You could shoot a shotgun at it (doors open or not) and the shot would travel through the house without even slowing down.

They are typically low-income or middle class houses from the late 19th and early 20th century. They can have additions to them, though its just typically another room tacked onto the back.

A step above the "tar-paper" shack, but not a big step.

WGBV
Old November 8, 2002, 10:08 PM   #7
Jeff, CA

So the base model must be the "cylinder bore", and the big one is the "full choke".

Old November 9, 2002, 10:12 AM   #8
Redlg155

I have relatives...ummm..on my wife's side of course , that live in a shotgun shack across town. Two doors, one front and one rear. That way you could open both doors and allow the wind to blow through the house. Sort of a poor mans air conditioning. Theirs is complete with tin roof and dogs under the front porch.

Somehow being poor takes all of the charm of "back country" living for them.

Good Shooting
RED
Old November 11, 2002, 12:01 PM   #9
brownlow

Quote:
So the base model must be the "cylinder bore", and the big one is the "full choke".
Jeff, that's GREAT! LMAO!

WGBV