The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 31, 2014, 01:31 PM   #1
BarryLee

Forced to Remove NRA Cap to Vote

Bundy Cobb of Douglas County, GA showed up at his polling place wearing his NRA hat. Poll workers told him he could not vote as long as he was wearing the hat. The poll workers said the perception is the NRA is aligned with the Republican Party and wearing the hat could be seen as campaigning in a polling place. Mr. Cobb stated that he did not believe someone’s perception of what his hat represents should dictate policy, but removed the hat so he could vote. Douglass County contacted the Georgia Secretary of State’s office who is now investigating.

So, do you agree that this is campaigning? Should this be a message to the NRA that they need to broaden their appeal? Is the NRA simply supporting the politicians who support the Second Amendment and they just happen to be mostly Republican?

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/27...ls-controversy
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 31, 2014, 01:45 PM   #2
zincwarrior

What kind of boor wears a hat inside? Didn't his momma raise him properly?

I could see that. The NRA has a substantial lobbying machine. As long as they were following the same philosophy on everything (banning, unions, ACLU, etc.) then thats ok.
Old October 31, 2014, 02:37 PM   #3
KyJim

I could see this coming up in New Jersey or Massachusetts but I'm surprised this came up in Georgia. I would think a lot of Democrats in Georgia are also pro-gun and members of the NRA. They are here in Kentucky, though the few "gun grabbers" in politics here tend to be Democrats.
Old October 31, 2014, 02:53 PM   #4
2ndsojourn

Must've been in a blue district. I'd bet if his hat said MDA he wouldn't have been bothered.

But no, I don't think that constitutes campaigning. What if he had a Glock or Colt hat? Does that mean he's campaigning for pro-gun issues?
Old October 31, 2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Here's the relevant Georgia code section:

Quote:
§ 21-2-414: Restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place;

(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign literature, newspaper, booklet, pamphlet, card, sign, paraphernalia, or any other written or printed matter of any kind, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition or conduct any exit poll or public opinion poll with voters on any day in which ballots are being cast:

(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;

(2) Within any polling place; or

(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
I don't see how a hat that doesn't advertise a candidate's name or a position runs afoul of this.
Old October 31, 2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
So, do you agree that this is campaigning?
Was "NRA" on the ballot?

Then it wasn't campaigning. 1st Amendment violation.

Do you suppose he would have been asked to turn his tee shirt inside out if he had showed up wearing a shirt supporting Planned Parenthood? After all, they're closely aligned with the Democrats ...
Old October 31, 2014, 05:45 PM   #7
CWKahrFan

That poll worker was overstepping...

Where would it end? For instance, the color red is widely associated with the Republican party and the color blue is widely associated with the Democratic party. Now, how could that same poll worker allow anyone into the polling area who was wearing any red or blue clothing?

Think about it.
Old October 31, 2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Pahoo

Early vote, in Iowa

I voted early and when I got to the area set aside for such. I asked and not too softly;
"Is this where I vote for Joni Ernst ?? "
Have to admit that there was a moment of silence and then one of the poll workers said; yes or anyone else you want to vote for. I went ahead a voted and yes, I had my Hunter Safety NRA hat on. My hair is thinning and scalp is susceptible to sun-light and always wear a hat .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 31, 2014, 06:51 PM   #9
4thPoint

Yeah, it's not going over well amongst the various pro-gun (Liberal, Progressive, Conservative, Whig, or whatever) groups in Georgia. The law is pretty specific when it says "campaign _______" and as pointed out the NRA wasn't on the ballot and there are no pro/anti firearms questions on the ballot.

Then again, having a "Vote for ____" bumper sticker on your car and parking too close to the polling place is technically a criminal act.
Old October 31, 2014, 07:56 PM   #10
lefty60

I would have written down the workers name and asked to speak to the supervisor.

I would have asked if they both wanted to be included in the lawsuit about violating my right to vote. And of course my insistence that criminal charges be brought against the two of them.
Old October 31, 2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Crankgrinder

Was it the same for the black panthers who showed up at polling places during Obama's elections carrying night sticks?
Old October 31, 2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Was it the same for the black panthers who showed up at polling places during Obama's elections carrying night sticks?
There were legal proceedings against them for their actions in Philadelphia. What they did was physical and psychological harassment.

I really don't see the equivalence between that and wearing an NRA hat.
Old October 31, 2014, 11:18 PM   #13
Snyper

I see no reason to get bent out of shape over it, although I have voted while wearing a "Glock" hat

He still got to vote, and he could put his hat back on once he left
Old November 1, 2014, 03:34 AM   #14
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I don't see how a hat that doesn't advertise a candidate's name or a position runs afoul of this.
Agreed. I understand the poll workers(huehuehue) were just trying to do their jobs, but he was fine. I would have no problem with an NRA hat anymore than I would a UAW hat. As long as the candidate's name isn't on the hat, in fine with it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old November 1, 2014, 03:50 AM   #15
hartcreek

The poll worker just saw someone that they could jerk around and get away with it. I used to ride my Triumph to the polls wearing my leathers and my vest with my NRA sharp shooters badge along with other anti establishment patches. The pipes on my bike would rattle the windows and set off car alarms when I pulled in. I would pull out my ID and vote and no worker did anything other then swallow hard.
Old November 1, 2014, 10:27 AM   #16
TailGator

I agree that the poll worker overreached, and badly, but the incident illustrates that there is a perception out there that the NRA is a shill of the Republican party, and of the more right-leaning factions of that party. It is a perception that the NRA doesn't appear to want to counter. I personally think it regrettable that our gun rights have become a partisan issue rather than one of universal appeal.
Old November 1, 2014, 01:49 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
illustrates that there is a perception out there that the NRA is a shill of the Republican party,
A perception which I believe only exists in people who are not NRA members, or Republicans.

I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.
Old November 1, 2014, 03:56 PM   #18
Ozzieman

Then if I park my car within those distances I will have to move it also.
NRA stickers

Think I am going to give it a try on the next election that's coming up. Try to get my name on the nightly news.

"News at 9, fat Indiana gun toting conservative man was kicked out of a voting both for wearing a hat promoting evil gun worshiping!"

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 1, 2014, 06:38 PM   #19
ballardw

One of my thoughts on this was to hang around the polling place and if anyone came in with any union, NOW or other notably liberal organization paraphernalia to bring that to the attention of the same poll worker and see what happens.
Old November 1, 2014, 09:35 PM   #20
Snyper

Quote:
This part:
" or any other written or printed matter of any kind"
Old November 1, 2014, 09:42 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This part:
" or any other written or printed matter of any kind"
Right, but a hat that reads "Vote Zoidberg" is different than a hat promoting a gun-safety organization.
Old November 1, 2014, 09:48 PM   #22
Snyper

Quote:
Right, but a hat that reads "Vote Zoidberg" is different than a hat promoting a gun-safety organization.
I agree with that principle, but the wording of the law says:
"any written or printed matter of any kind"

That one clause make anything vulnerable.
Old November 1, 2014, 11:32 PM   #23
Andy Blozinski

"I agree with that principle, but the wording of the law says:
"any written or printed matter of any kind"

That one clause make anything vulnerable."

Judges generally throw something like that out the window with the position that it is too broad and thus open to abuse of various sorts.
Old November 1, 2014, 11:58 PM   #24
KyJim

Quote:
Judges generally throw something like that out the window with the position that it is too broad and thus open to abuse of various sorts.
Agreed. Just think about it. They could arrest you for sticking on the "I Voted" tag they pass out after a person votes around here. And, IIRC, the poll workers have name tags. Into the clink they go. And where multiple precincts vote at the same place, somebody has to display a written sign that says "Precinct X Votes Here" and "Precinct Y Votes Across the Hall." Pretty ridiculous but that's why that portion of the law would likely be overbroad "as applied" to the examples above and to the NRA hat.
Old November 2, 2014, 12:52 AM   #25
bamaranger

Douglas County

Where is Douglas Co in the state of GA? Urban, or reasonably near Atlanta?