The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

M-4 rifle style- new to me

I tinker with surplus and used optics at times in the shop. A buddy wants one of my used scopes installed on what looks like a Colt M-4 style rifle. Markings include Mckay Enterprises, LLC, 5.56mm, FirePower, Speed, M&S Armament.
The application is coyote hunting, 100 to 200 yards. Any experience out there with this rifle pro or con? Any idea on rate of twist and suggested bullet weight for best accuracy?
Old April 27, 2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Schwerms

Don't mean to be a jerk, BUT... It's an AR, man. Fire 55 grain with confidence, and try to utilize Google for further research into what seems to be a frankengun (take no offense, please... No shame in a combo build at all.)
Old April 27, 2013, 06:18 AM   #3
hodaka

It's easy enough to measure the twist with a tight patch on a cleaning rod and a ruler. I make a little "flag" with a piece of tape and measure how long it takes to make a 360.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

I know I can test the twist rate myself. But the initial question remains:
21 variations in ammo, way different performance results, shorter & longer barrel lengths, and of course the different twist rates and nobody has experience to share or suggestions on what they may have found pro or con?
Old May 4, 2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Jo6pak

Generally, the slower rate rifling likes lighter bullets, and tighter rifling likes heavier bullets.

Once you figure out the twist rate, then narrow your selection of ammo to the range in bullet weights.
From there just start experimenting, that's the fun part
Old May 4, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Generally, the slower rate rifling likes lighter bullets, and tighter rifling likes heavier bullets.
More like "nearly always". If the rate is 1:9 or higher you should be ok with 55gr bullets. Anything under 55 gr you really need something higher for the best accuracy, especially when varmint hunting small game. Say at least 1:12 for the 45 and 50 gr bullets.

The rate should be on the barrel somewhere. I am surprised it is not readily visible.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:47 PM   #7
mehavey

Standard "M4" styles these days are "generally" 1-9.
Will take anything from 52-69gr.

Split the difference at 60-62gr and press on.