The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1
DA/SA Fan

FEG

I wasn't planning on getting another gun so soon. I just got my Beretta Tomcat a few weeks ago. After taking the Tomcat to the range I decided I am fan of .32 ACP. When I saw these FEG AP-MBPs at AIM Surplus, I just had to grab one! Nice Hungarian copy of a Walther PP. These in 7.65mm/.32ACP. Can't wait to get it to the range. The double action is horrendous, but the single action feels pretty nice. I will also need to watch my somewhat meaty hand as it looks like it might be easy to get bitten by the slide. For 200 bucks it seems like it will make a fun range toy and probably a car gun until I get something more potent for that role.

There's a little "graceful" aging, but the rifling is crisp and the slide still looks purdy. Didn't feel like draggin the camera out, but I'll get some pics up later.
Old August 22, 2014, 06:41 PM   #2
JERRYS.

how horrendous is the D/A trigger? long doesn't bother me as I know how to shoot revolvers competently. do you mean it has a 40 pound trigger pull, or it feels like sand is in the trigger assembly.....? what exactly is so bad? I ask because I would like a PPK clone in .32acp, especially when they're $200!!!
Old August 22, 2014, 06:49 PM   #3
gyvel

It's the "40 pound trigger pull" option. The heavy pull is due to a rather stiff hammer spring, more than likely part of the original design to keep the slide from battering the aluminum frame.
SIFE
Old August 22, 2014, 07:49 PM   #4
DA/SA Fan

Yeah. Super heavy but not gritty at all. The serrations on the trigger amplify it too!

Actually, it might not be "that bad" depending on the size of your hand. If I get close to the first knuckle on the trigger I can almost keep it steady enough. Just the finger tip on the trigger causes me to strain too much to take aim. I might try another spring at a later date but it's easy enough to just cock the hammer and shoot single action.

Last edited by DA/SA Fan; August 22, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old August 23, 2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Sid

These guns are light and quite accurate. The double action trigger is awful. Single action pull is okay. I had to return mine because the decocker wasn't working and they didn't give me any hassle about it.
Old August 23, 2014, 07:21 PM   #6
RX-79G

$200 seems a little steep. The 9x18 version - the PA-63 - sold for many years for $170. There's a lot of them on GB.

The cool FEG PP spin-offs were the PMK and SMC .380s that are PPK sized. They imported them with target grips to make the GCA points.
Old August 24, 2014, 07:48 AM   #7
myg30

SMC .380 purchased back early 90's was a good shooting pistol. Got a few slide bite's when tight grasp. After it was broken in with several hundred rds was smooth except the hard da pull as op stated.
I had a FEG 9mm clone of BHP, best most beautiful bluing. I'm sorry I sold it off.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that .32 as much as I enjoyed my .380 !

Mike
Old August 24, 2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Rodger_p

I had one of these for a while. They are well made, accurate, and fun to shoot.
They do have the "40 pound" DA trigger though.
I tried installing several reduced weight springs. I had light strikes with anything but factory.

One fun fact: The magazines for .380, 9mm Mak and .32 are the same.

At least the ones I had were. ( I also hade the all steel .380 version)
Old August 24, 2014, 05:13 PM   #9
gyvel

I bought a couple of the FEGs in .22 calibre. Now THOSE are fun!
SIFE
Old August 26, 2014, 12:01 AM   #10
DA/SA Fan

Sorry. Still no pics as a bad back has me down for a little bit. I have been "fondling" this gun some more, and the double action isn't quite as bad as I had first thought. It was a little shocking after my other guns, but I think it's really going to end up being quite manageable.