The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2012, 09:28 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I disagree with the assertion that buckshot patterns tighter with a less restrictive choke. Now I am talking about basic, no-frills, cheap Remington, Federal, Winchester #4, #1, and 00 buck. I've never used the Flight Control ammo. I've patterned all three of my shotguns, using various chokes on each and trying all three sizes of buckshot in each. Without exception, I clearly get the tightest patterns with full choke. That's my experience, but I'd think that with my "sample of three" shotguns, it would hold water.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee
That is why you have to try it in your own gun. My H&R 10 gauge shooting 00 buckshot out of a full choke leaves a hole in the center of the pattern big enough for a large raccoon to walk through unharmed at just 25 yards. Out of my Mossberg 9200 with a full choke it isn't tight but reasonable and at 35 yards will put most shot into a man sized target. My H&R is typical of most my guns and my Mossberg is atypical.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 29, 2012, 08:24 PM   #27
Big Pard

Generally the larger the shot the more open you want your choke. Experimentation with different sizes, brands, and lengths will be easier than finding out why a particular gun doesn't like a particular load.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:13 PM   #28
BerdanSS

Most military shotguns that are intended to shoot 00 buck are a fixed cyl. choke. Mine shoots large buckshot and slugs best with a Imp. Cyl. I was always told to never shoot a slug out of anything tighter than a Modified.

All of my factory Mossberg full and X full chokes say "No Steel Shot" right on them. Steel is normally shot with a Cyl-Mod. choke. I have one Hastings Mod. that is specifically marked for steel shot.
Old October 30, 2012, 02:44 AM   #29
Bamashooter

I have a Remington 870 Express Super Mag 3.5'' 12ga. Ive owned this shotgun since buying it new in 1998. I use a skeet choke when shooting slugs or buckshot and its always performed very well for me.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:50 AM   #30
RMcL

What is buckshot? Not what you think...

See:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506723
Old November 18, 2012, 02:29 PM   #31
springfield 720

I believe that if you open the barrel, you will have better luck.. Buckshot should not be mistaken for a slug comparison... They take the bigger barrel opening for the better result..
Old November 18, 2012, 07:28 PM   #32
RMcL

On the other hand...

...tighter choke constrictions have a following in buckshot country.

For example:

http://www.kicks-ind.com/mm5/merchan...ode=BuckKicker

The load used by the OP does not use a flite control wad, but has the pellets stacked in a slightly offset spiral within a 3/4 length shot cup. As a result tighter patterns will require a greater degree of choke.

Last edited by RMcL; November 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:04 PM   #33
RMcL

In my discussions...

... with Federal engineer Rochelle Poore, she advised starting with improved cylinder when pattern testing Flite Control buckshot loads and then increasing the choke constriction until patterns began to open.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:10 AM   #34
RMcL

"I thought I would spring for the good stuff to feed my new 870 supermag waterfowl camo so I picked up a box of Federal Premium 18 ball 00 buckshot with flight control wad."

Everyone answering this post - including me - overlooked the fact that 3.5" Federal Premium 18 pellet 00B rounds do not use the Flite-Control Wad. So the OP should have been advised to try a greater degree of choke.