The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2006, 07:13 PM   #1
dadeslot

Winchester SX2

I was looking at purchasing a winchester SX2 for shooting sporting clay, and general hunting but I have heard that they have performance problems. Has any one had this problem, or know of this problem?
Thanks
Dadeslot
Old October 1, 2006, 09:53 AM   #2
johnbt

I'd heard good things about them, so when I ran across a pretty good deal on a like-new Waterfowl model (3.5" & ShadowGrass camo w/DuraTouch) last November I picked it up. Turned out it was made in 2003. I used it for duck and goose season and didn't have a single problem with it. We don't need 3.5" shells in the tidal marsh where we hunt, but all the 2.75" and 3" shells I've tried - mostly HeviShot - worked without a hitch.

John
Old October 1, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
HSMITH

Well over 30K through mine, not a single problem.

Overall they are among the most reliable and durable shotguns I have seen. The Beretta 390/391 is probably about equal with the SX2, and most everything else falls short. In my experience the Browning Gold is also a very good shotgun, but it isn't stone reliable under adverse conditions like I have seen from SX2's in the field.

I have not heard of any problems with the SX2 from hunters, target shooters and 3-gun shooters. Where did you hear they had problems?
Old October 1, 2006, 06:20 PM   #4
dadeslot

I heard from my local gun shop but they were REALLY pushing the Berreta I own 3 other Winchester's and love them all thanks for the replies.
Thanks
Dadeslot
Old October 2, 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
HSMITH

AHA!!!! Pushing the one in stock or the one with the better margin of the ones in stock is REALLY common. Sucks that you need to wear waders to buy a duck gun, it was getting pretty deep in that shop......
Old October 3, 2006, 07:20 AM   #6
johnbt

That's funny, the day I spotted the used SX-2 I bought the guys at the counter, including the owner, were pushing Berettas hard. Heck, I was holding a beautiful Beretta (about the sixth or seventh one they'd handed me) when I spotted the camo gun I wanted on the bottom rack. I later heard that Beretta was requiring dealers to buy & sell a required number of guns in order to continue as a Beretta dealer.

Now, I don't know if that's a true story or not, but after buying a used SX-2 Waterfowl for almost $750 my dad and I left the store with a tape on the History of Beretta and a Beretta keychain and a Beretta lapel pin. We don't even own any Berettas.

To be fair, they know we buy guns from them from time to time - a thousand here, a thousand there, and even $2400 once - and see, I'm still talking about them so maybe they're pretty smart fellas.

John
Old October 3, 2006, 06:36 PM   #7
dadeslot

I heard the similar story of beretta dealers I always thought they would still be honest but I guess a long term relationship with a gun dealer means nothing. I am planning on picking the gun up this weekend.

Thanks again for the reply's
dadeslot
Old October 3, 2006, 10:05 PM   #8
bclark1

yea, doesn't surprise me, with the beretta dealers. i got the "from who?!" reaction when you said you'd heard performance issues. i've got an sx2 12ga with the 3 1/2" chamber, and it performs better than advertised. the manual, if i remember, disclaimers against using dove loads in the super-mag chamber, as it might not eject with very light loads. i've covered the full spectrum of loads through it and have yet to encounter any kind of problem. from low-recoil to turkey loads to deer slugs, everything's gone in and come out like clockwork. i'll never hesitate to recommend the sx2 if they made one in 20ga i'd be buying another one sometime soon.
Old October 4, 2006, 04:02 PM   #9
shield20

Bought a new SX2 from Gander Mountain on clearance a few weeks ago - after looking at all the other shotguns there - it seemed a great value ($650), even compared to the slightly cheaper 11-87 I was intending on getting, and the much more $$ Browning Golds it is similiar to. I got the 3" Stalker (synthetic stocks) as a no-nonsense work gun. Made in Belgium, nice smooth action, really nice trigger, and I haven't heard a bad word about 'em!
Old October 6, 2006, 04:22 PM   #10
BUCKMARK

I have a SX2 Sporting Signature II and I have put about 2,000 flawless rounds through it in less than two years.

I bought it because I can swap choke tubes out with my Browning 525 Sporting...both take Invector Plus tubes. That, and I liked the red receiver with metallic black stocks.

I mainly use this gun for sporting clays when the weather is bad. I shoot in the rain and snow...my 525 is a sissy and don't like getting wet!

I have been shooting RIO 1 1/8 oz. target loads but I have also shot the 1oz. Remington loads from Wally World. No problems.

I did shoot a handful of Dad's 1oz. reloads that are super light. The SX2 "dropped" them right beside my foot telling me that I was pushing it when it came to reliability. The Sporting guns have a 3" chamber instead of 3 1/2" and they come with two pistons for heavy and light loads. My SX2 has been a great gun for $825 out the door.

BTW: I'm not sure about Beretta...but I know for a fact that dealers must sell "X" amount of guns to deal with Benelli. If a dealer sells Benelli....he pushes them.

Let's Roll!