The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 1999, 07:14 PM   #1
stuka762

I coudn't resist buying a set of Herters dies at gun show this weekend hey $4.50 for the seating and necksizer dies but I have never necksized before so how do I set it up? Also my rcbs die decapped while resizing the necksizer doesn't any recomendations on a reasonable priced decapper? I guess by the time I buy the decapper my bargin is gone but at the same show I picked up 100 rds.of Lakecity N.M. 30-06 for 26 bucks so that will ease the pain
Old October 26, 1999, 11:31 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In necksizing my '06 brass, I generally size about 2/3 of the neck--mas o menos, give or take a dollar 3.80 a pound or so...It doesn't seem to matter, so long as 1/2 or more of the neck is resized...

Never having messed with Herter's dies, I'm guessing that there is the usual threaded hole in the center? For the decapping/expander rod? If so, and you're lucky, the diameter and thread of the Herter die might fit the rod from your RCBS die...

Also, if you run the case only partway up into a full-length resizing die, so that only around 1/2 or so of the neck of the case is resized, the main body of the case is not resized...

Good luck, Art
Old October 30, 1999, 12:33 AM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

RCBS Makes a universal decapping die that could help out. I like to use this as you can decap your dirty brass before you tumble it and the decapper in the sizer will knock out any media left in the flash hole. Sounds like you got a decent deal on the dies, but I would see if your decapper/ expander assembly will fit it because with out the expander passing thru the inside if the neck your really not sizing the brass!

------------------
[email protected]
Old October 30, 1999, 06:45 PM   #4
Paul B.

Stuka. There are a couple of ways you can go. Lee sells there decapping rods as a separate item. They're just a couple of bucks or so. If the top of your die has a threaded hole, RCBS has parts that will convert the die to use RCBS parts. I did this with a 7x57 die that broke the decapping rod. I also fixed a
Micro-Precision sizing die. (Now that goes a long way back) I forget what the cost was, but it was reasonable.
Paul B.
Old October 30, 1999, 08:09 PM   #5
stuka762

Thanks to all for your help ,the Herters die has a solid top so I can't use my existing decapper rod, I'll check out the RCBS or Lee deals on the decappers. I must be setting up wrong I crushed a few case necks already,should I lube the inside of the neck? Art I haven't heard a dollar three eighty since I left Brooklyn are you a Brooklyn guy ? regards stuka