The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 9, 2013, 01:57 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

Pittsburgh PA area radio DJ in hot water over guns....

A popular radio DJ for 105.9FM, The X in Pittsburgh PA may get fired over anti-gun remarks he made.
The DJ was critical of a local FFL holder/gun shop; Pittsburgh Tactical Firearms, having a contest with a new AR-15 5.56mm rifle & approx 1000 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition as a prize.
The DJ was hit with a huge pro-gun backlash & the 105.9FM mgmt may cut the morning DJ from the staff over it.

I, for one, disagree with the radio DJ's firing if he only made remarks or voiced his own political views. As long as he was open & accepted pro-gun/2A messages or remarks he should be allowed to work on air.

Clyde
Old February 9, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
HarrySchell

I agree.

We have to guard others' freedoms as closely as our own. Or we all end up with none.

The station could use the opportunity to have the DJ and a good rep from our side talk on-air. A teachable moment.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:20 PM   #3
hermannr

You need to look at the management's point of view. In the radio and TV business, ratings are everything. How much you can charge your sponsors for a 1 minute commercial is all based on ratings. How much did his speach damage his employer? That is the question. Also, was what he said truthful, or opinion?

So, we go to contracts. What did the DJ have as a contract? and how did the DJ represent the management when he made his statements?

I am surprised that the kick back from whatever he said on air generated that much protest, but I am very happy to hear it did. Philly is cesspool of anti's.

Free speech is a very good thing....unless it damages someone else. When that speech is made privately, it is not so much of a problem. If the speech is public, and that speech damages someone else, then it should not be allowed.

One quantifier here...that would be that the public speech that did damage someone else is true. Extreme example: If you say someone is a murderer, and it is not true, that is slander and not allowed. If you say the same thing about the same person, and it is true it is not slander.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:24 PM   #4
speedrrracer

I agree with the DJ's firing. His job is to serve one simple function: to entertain his audience. Clearly, he is not in touch with his audience, and therefore not capable of entertaining them. The station would be well-served to find someone more in-line with their listeners.

Same would be true if Wayne LaPierre got a job working for "San Francisco Violent Liberal Lesbian Video Games". We're not all suited for all jobs, plain and simple.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

In reply to:

"We have to guard others' freedoms as closely as our own. Or we all end up with none."

Uhh.... actually.... no. There is nothing to guard.

He has no "freedoms" or "rights" as a DJ other than the right to not have the GOVERNMENT interfere with his speech. .

Civics 101:

1: The relationship between the Government and it's citizens are "rights".

2: There is no similar protection for the relationship between an employer and employee. You have no freedom of speech in the workplace. You do have the freedom not to be discriminated against in hiring for (race, religion, creed, sexual oprientation) but not for much else. YES you can refuse to hire NRA members. Tough Noogies.

So: He is an employee and will do whatever he is told to do by his employers or he will no longer be an employee. That's basic.

Oh well... if you are out of sync with your clients, you'll lose business. Lesson learned.

Willie

Old February 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
MLeake

ClydeFrog, do you know if the shop and promotion the DJ criticized was advertising on his station? If so, that would certainly annoy management.

In any case, as others noted, station management making a business decision is not government censorship. If the DJ, by voicing his opinions, had a bad enough impact on their profits, then he may suffer consequences he should have expected.

With regard to your comment:
Quote:
I, for one, disagree with the radio DJ's firing if he only made remarks or voiced his own political views. As long as he was open & accepted pro-gun/2A messages or remarks he should be allowed to work on air.
the thing is, he didn't voice his own views at his own place, on his own time. He voiced those views on his company's time, on their transmitter, which effectively linked their business with his views.

Try using your place of work as a soapbox for some viewpoint your employer does not share, and see how soon you are searching for a new job.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:32 PM   #7
mayosligo

Yes, it would be more a freedom of speech issue if he was not allowed to express his opinion. People confuse freedom of speech with freedom to say whatever you like without criticism. I have the freedom to call my boss a jackass. He has not right to stop me, but he can fire me afterwards for insubordination. I can then sue if I want.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
HarrySchell

Good thoughts.

I went to the radio website and there were a few comments, one which indicated the DJ had been "ranting" for three weeks. Another indicates he resigned today, was not fired.

It appears he had a music program, but I am not sure about that.

I run my own little company and keep politics out of the workplace outside of the occasional personal discussion, so I understand about that angle.

I listen quite a bit to a local talk radio show. Some of the talkers really know what they are about and some are very ignorant. I don't listen to them.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

"Yes, it would be more a freedom of speech issue if he was not allowed to express his opinion. People confuse freedom of speech with freedom to say whatever you like without criticism. I have the freedom to call my boss a jackass. He has not right to stop me, but he can fire me afterwards for insubordination.

I can then sue if I want".

<sigh>... didn't we all get something out of High School?

Uhh... back to Remedial Civics 101 (again):

No you can't.

To restate what ought to be obvious, but apparently in this day and age isn't:

You have no protected "Right" to free speech when dealing with anything other than the United States Government.

None.

Nada.

Finis.

So. call the boss a jerk, insult the customers (which is exactly what this DJ did) and you're outta here....

See ya....

You don't have any RIGHTS at all if it's not the Government infringing on them.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 9, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton
You have no protected "Right" to free speech when dealing with anything other than the United States Government. . . .

You don't have any RIGHTS at all if it's not the Government infringing on them.

Willie
Close, but not quite. The First Amendment rights are protected from infringement by State governments, as well as the United States (federal) government.

As against an employer, a person may have rights conferred by statute.

Whatever we may think of management's decisions with respect to this DJ, it's not a First Amendment issue.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:05 PM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
Whatever we may think of management's decisions with respect to this DJ, it's not a First Amendment issue.
^^^This^^^

If the station lets the DJ go it will more than likely be due to an inner departmental rule that the station DJ's are not allowed to use the radio station for promoting their personal political opinions. Or some other similar station ruling. But the DJ will not be let go on a First Amendment issue.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

Close, but not quite. The First Amendment rights are protected from infringement by State governments, as well as the United States (federal) government.

Spats, you are of course correct, although it took a SCOTUS decision in the days of yore to get that clarified, if I remember correctly.

Willie

Old February 10, 2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Hal

Quote:
The DJ was hit with a huge pro-gun backlash & the 105.9FM mgmt may cut the morning DJ from the staff over it.
Freeom of speech aside....

105.9FM The X is owned by Clear Channel Comminications.

Clear Channel Communications has a pool of hired actors they draw from that call into stations to "stir the pot".
Old February 10, 2013, 10:47 AM   #14
HarrySchell

PA Gun blogger on the DJ Issue.

http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/02/10/...hable-moments/

"To sum the situation up, a morning show dj, Tim Benz, is extremely anti-gun and used his show and the associated social media accounts as a way of promoting his personal politics. Apparently, he has been having fights with listeners in the Pittsburgh area about this issue recently. On Friday, he decided that he was sick of hearing from all these annoying pro-Second Amendment people and walked off of his job while on the air."
Old February 10, 2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Willie Sutton

^^ If only politicians acted the same way....

Willie

Old February 11, 2013, 06:37 PM   #16
nfafan

The DJ in question is/was a smarmy, hipper-than-you, MSNBC type that routinely talked down to the callers to his post-Stillers-game talkshow, and during his AM "color commentator" duties on 105TheX.

No one could tell him anything he didn't already know.

No one but his mom and some of his syncophants will miss him being on the air.

Not being argumentive with anyone in this thread, but trust me; the world is now a better place.

FWIW, PGH has another radio talkshow host on KDKA AM band in the morning, Marty Griffin aka Goofen aka Piers Morgan.
He is far more of a douche than Tim Benz. Anyone and everyone that owns a gun is a "gun nut" to Marty. Anyone that carries a gun that is not a cop or GI is an "illiterate rent-a-cop".

Like our newspaper here; Marty doen't take Op-Ed's unless you parrot HIS viewpoint. Unfortunately, his mgmt considers him an entertainer, and allows marty to say anything he wants, regardless of how outrageous/untrue.

Media controls the message.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:28 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

Jim Quinn; guns, Pittsburgh....

It's been nearly 13 years since I was in west PA as a resident.
The X used to be alt rock & "new wave". That & 101.1fm had rock not blah blah.
Jim Quinn of B94's Quinn & Banana(Banana Don Jefferson) used to be a regular fm radio DJ then he switched formats & shows then started to be real right wing & 2A/pro gun. He wasn't a a-hole about it but he did promote guns/self defense.
This Benz guy sounds like a real 0.
Clyde
Old February 13, 2013, 11:18 PM   #18
shootniron

Quote:
Bingo!
Old February 14, 2013, 03:25 AM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 1st has been mentioned and there really isn't anything gun law related...

Discussing the opinion or behavior of a radio station personality isn't on topic at TFL so closing this one...

Brent
Closed Thread